• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Warning (1 Viewer)

Indeed it has KC, though this week has seen multiple media coverage, eg Winterwatch, BBC national news articles, and today another press release from the RSPB. It is very worrying for a host of reasons, many of which as you say we are aware about. The shift from assuming that we humans thought we were helping a variety of species survive throughout the winter season to now being asked to consider ceasing feeding wild birds completely to prevent the spread of diseases, particularly amongst finches.

How many feeding stations have people seen on nature reserves local parks etc that would appear to be cleaned at best sporadically. Often the bird tables used would be a nightmare/ impossible to sanitise correctly. Obviously it's great to get people interested, especially children and they must be very handy for people with mobility problems as they are usually a Short walk/ wheelchair journey from the car parks.

Apart from the diseases does anybody know how dangerous peanuts are that are starting to go mouldy. I'm very careful to check for any Peanuts that are starting to get black patches or growing mould when refilling feeders. If in doubt it's far better to throw away a few pence worth of food than risk affecting the birds health. Are certain finch species more susceptible to disease than others and also do House Sparrows not succumb very often. I can't remember seeing a House Sparrow at death's door but have seen the odd Finch.

Didn't see post 4, a very good example and totally agree. Is the disease affecting the feet the same one as you see in finches where they are puffed up and gaping and extremely lethargic. Is the foot condition painful, as the birds appear to get around O.K when feeding..

Didn't see post 4, a very good example and totally agree. Is the disease affecting the feet the same one as you see in finches where they are puffed up and gaping and extremely lethargic. Is the foot condition painful, as the birds appear to get around O.K when feeding..
andy

most feeding stations at reserves look very dirty and always have finches with deformed feet. i have a few feeders of various types which i change regulary
its a faff to clean them but i would rather spend time cleaning than having no birds to see in my tiny garden

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back