• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rufous cuckoo (1 Viewer)

dddiver said:
How common are rufous coloured cuckoos,as I saw one yesterday at cliffe pools.Are they male or female.

I saw a rufous Cuckoo at Woolston Eyes about 4 weeks ago and it is a female bird. Collins shows the female can be found as 2 Morphs, grey and ruffous. The Ruffous is far less common but no idea how scarce they are.

Cheers Alan

alanp said:
I saw a rufous Cuckoo at Woolston Eyes about 4 weeks ago and it is a female bird. Collins shows the female can be found as 2 Morphs, grey and ruffous. The Ruffous is far less common but no idea how scarce they are.

Cheers Alan
Thanks for that Alan.I now know that I saw two femail cuckoos,as a grey one kept dissappearing into the reeds there.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back