• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ryukyu Flying Fox (1 Viewer)

poplynch

Hello all and a Happy New Year from Okinawa, Japan !
I'm a Newby here and fumbling around learning this site, so, feel free to advise me; it's my first attempt at posting a thread.
The bat I'll attempt to post a picture of is from Okinawa: Pteropus dasymallus, comonly called a fruit bat or, flying fox. A gal attending bats saw the difficulty I was having trying to get a good shot of the bats in their cages, and as I left, chased me down the walk and placed this bat in a tree. From my limited Japanese vocabulary, I understood her to say the bat was orphaned and she had reared it from infancy. I was so afraid it'd fly off when she placed it in the tree, I didn't bother to set-up my tripod'
Just last week, I Googled and found out this is an Endangered Species and its diet consists of fruit and flower leaves. I see them almost every night and thought they were helping me keep the mosquito population under control !
I'll attach the largest size file I can so you can view, comment or critique me. I hope it turns out more visible than the few I've looked at, so far. I'd like to have posted it to my gallery, but, it is a captive animal even if it was freed momentarily.
Ryukyu Mike

Attachments

• IMGP9455(1).jpg
    IMGP9455(1).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 105
That's a great photo of a beautiful looking bat. I am always interested to learn about wildlife in countries such as Japan. Welcome to BF.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back