• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sabre Wasp ID? (Brampton Wood, Cambs.) (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

I saw a sabre wasp recently, without the white markings along it's side.

After a bit of searching I found Rhyssella approximator, this looks like a good match for my wasp.
Could someone please take a look and ID for me?

The only question is the white bands around the antenae. Are these variable?

Yours, Gareth

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 19
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 19
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 20
I know nothing about these but thought I'd have a look. I found this site and PDF.
british-ichneumonid-wasps-id-guide.pdf
But was left with as many questions as answers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230724_110720_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230724_110720_Samsung Notes.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 5
Hi All

I saw a sabre wasp recently, without the white markings along it's side.

After a bit of searching I found Rhyssella approximator, this looks like a good match for my wasp.
Could someone please take a look and ID for me?

The only question is the white bands around the antenae. Are these variable?

Yours, Gareth
Hi Doghouse. I've seen one pic online with the white bands on the antenae, can't seem to find any text /info relating to why, though!?!!

I know very little about ichneumonids, but what about Amblyjoppa proteus as a contender.
An indication as to size, might help (?)

Edit: A. proteus apparently has a pale spot at the base of the thorax. Not visible here but that could be due to angle.

Last edited:
Apparently "sabre wasps" are subfamily Rhyssinae, must be recently made up as not heard it before. Rhyssella approximator looks quite different, lacking white antennal band and has red hind tibia. My best guess would be on of the Banchinae some of which have black hind tibia with a white spot at base. But could be a quite different subfamily.

I know nothing about these but thought I'd have a look. I found this site and PDF.
british-ichneumonid-wasps-id-guide.pdf
But was left with as many questions as answers.
Thanks Mark, I have found this before. It's a bit limited but I appreciate your help.

Apparently "sabre wasps" are subfamily Rhyssinae, must be recently made up as not heard it before. Rhyssella approximator looks quite different, lacking white antennal band and has red hind tibia. My best guess would be on of the Banchinae some of which have black hind tibia with a white spot at base. But could be a quite different subfamily.
Hi Ficedula, thanks for spotting the lack of hind red tibia. Are there keys ect that I could plough through somewhere that I don't have to sell a kidney, to buy?

Good luck! Apparently 2400 british species.

Attachments

• Ich_subfamily_key_April_2015.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 10
Hi Ficedula, thanks for spotting the lack of hind red tibia. Are there keys ect that I could plough through somewhere that I don't have to sell a kidney, to buy?
There are keys from RES but they wont be any use without a specimen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back