• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper ID, N Germany, 09/2018 (1 Viewer)

Sangahyando

Germany
I'd like some ID help/confirmation on this oddly-coloured fellow I found today, at a lagoon next to the Baltic coast in Holstein. In terms of size, it was more or less similar to a Common Sandpiper, and visibly smaller than a Snipe (there were no Dunlins present). The only possibility I can think of is Broad-billed Sandpiper, but having never seen the species before, I want to make sure.

I have three more pics of the bird, but none from a closer distance. Both pictures are heavily cropped, but I left the snipe in the second one for comparison.

Attachments

• DSCF3954.JPG
    DSCF3954.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF3955.JPG
    DSCF3955.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 84
Thank you both. Although I've never made the same kind of effort to see this species as with some others, it was a very pleasant surprise finding it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back