• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (15 Viewers)

Buzzard x8, Water Rail x3, Goosander x3, Teal pair, Pochard, Gadwall, Lapwing, Snipe, Sparrowhawk x2, Bullfinch c8, Reed Bunting c4, Greenfinch and Willow Tit per Pete Carless
Good Birding YAMYAM

I spent a couple of hours watching the coming and going of the Redpolls at the Feeding Station I reckon up to 20 birds are involved maybe has many has 30 I was in the company of Mike Ixer, Pete Hackett and Pete Carless plus several others not known to me, after watching various birds that looked interesting me and Mike had a bird with a very white rump fly in to cover behide the feeding station we never saw that individual again has far has I was concerned, later on just before I left we had a bird whitch looked a good candidate in the company of two lesser Redpoll. The Redpoll species/ Sub Species is very complex and I believe that at some stage they will all be lumped together again has one species I left The Two Pete's and Mike with the birds has off yet I have not heard an opinion from Mike Ixer or Pete Hackett I believe that there might be two birds involved that could be in the Mealy club but there is such a overlay with grey individuals and brown Mealies you need to have the birds in the hand, have the confidence to call Mealie or know when to draw the line I personaly have only seen a couple of Mealy Redpoll in the Valley that there was no Question of identification and seen many that could have been in this case more time is needed watching the Redpoll flock to see if the original bird shows again .
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Another picture of one of the mealy candidates. Having read up on mealys and the amount of crossover characteristics I would be hesitant calling this a definite. Apparently, Mealy can have a slightly browner back like a lesser (but this one still looks a fraction too brown). This one was certainly larger than the lessers which were around it and others observed a slightly lighter (but not white) rump as it flew away. Opinions?

As for the other one mentioned by Mr YamYam, observation was only very brief and more distant. It caught our attention due to its paler appearance. As it flew off, it did clearly have a very white rump giving the bird an almost white look as it flew into the bushes as opposed to the overall brown appearance of the lessers that were about.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 54
Forge Mill
Goosander, Shoveler c12, Teal pair Marsh, Oystercatchers x2, Little Ringed Plover x2, Lapwing c12, and Great Crested Grebe
Good Birding YAMYAM

Also seen in Valley today
Ring Necked Parakeets, Green Woodpecker's, Meadow Pipit (mike Ixer), Reed Bunting, Chiffchaff, Willow warbler, Blackcap, Kestrel (mike Ixer), Pied Wagtail, Mistle Thrush, Starling c30, Jackdaw c40, Siskin (mike Ixer), Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Jay
Good Birding YAMYAM

Swan pool Meadow, Swan Pool and Colliery Bank's in the distance
Good Birding YAMYAM

Attachments

• _20160405_171304.jpg
    _20160405_171304.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 53

Users who are viewing this thread

Back