• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (18 Viewers)

Reserve
Redshank, Little Ringed Plover x2, Oystercatcher x2 and Jack Snipe per rspb
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
11.30 x 3.30pm

1 Common Scoter
1 Peregrine causing chaos on FML
4 Willow Warblers
10+ Chiffchaffs
1 Blackcap
1 Wheatear
1 Treecreeper
3 Nuthatch
10+ Redpolls
2 House Martins
20+ Swallows

Just left the Hospital after visiting family friend, no more bird of prey activity
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Unlucky yesterday, but more fortunate this evening (18.15-19.30)

c.scoter on Forge Mill,still favouring the right hand side, and R. Ousel at Swan Pool paddocks.

Shame they weren`t Valley ticks!

Richard

I'll be looking for Redstarts tomorrow in some of the less watched areas. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some we overlooked over the past couple of days.

Eventful afternoon!
4 LRP from the hide was the main attraction before scanning the sw corner of the lake and saw a silhouetted 'black' duck with its tail pointed up swimming out from under the trees where the Shovelers often roost. Took a couple of minutes before the bird raised its head to confirm my suspitions. It was the Common Scoter!
It continued to feed here for the rest of the day, spending most of its time underwater.
A young Peregrine ripped havoc across the pool around 3-3:15(ish) It landed on the islands 3 times, (briefly every time) having a pot shot at everything that moved. Oystercatchers, Lapwings, LBBGs, even a half hearted dive at the Scoter!
Once we closed up the hide, I walked around to the slipway for good views of the Scoter.

A quick drive over to Swan Pool, and after 15 minutes or so, the Ring Ouzel gave itself up, hopping around with the Wheatear. 3 New valley birds, taking my total to a measly 109 species!
DSC07420.JPGDSC07590.jpgDSC07607 - Copy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back