• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scaly-breasted Munia, new for Leyte but which sub-species? (Philippines) (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Since October I'm based in Ormoc, island of Leyte (Philippines). I've seen about 30 species not listed for the island in Kennedy (Birds of the Philippines); most are though known by local birdwatchers.

I've found Scaly-breasted Munias breeding around Ormoc, in sugarcane. They also join Chestnut Munias in rice fields and groups of 30+ are common. This species is not listed on Leyte by any of HBW, Avibase or Kennedy. It is now known by local birdwatchers, so it looks like a real new.

However, I've experience of Lonchura punctulata cabanisi from Palawan and our bird here have different breast pattern, more "arrow"-like marks (while cabanisi has more rounded spots); the upperparts are also much greyer (more rufous in cabanisi).

So my question is: can we identify the subspecies? Of course, we dont know if the species came naturally or was introduced, so everything possible. However, it doesn't seem that locals have munias in captivity (they rather hate them as they eat rice) and I've the feeling it is a natural population.

Any comments or advice will be appreciated, thanks!

(the photo in the tree is from Palawan to show L. p. cabanisi and compare with the other photo, a bird taken on Leyte).

Attachments

• Lonchura_punctulata2.JPG
    Lonchura_punctulata2.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Lonchura_punctulata4.jpg
    Lonchura_punctulata4.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 27
I was checking Munias & Mannikins (Restall 1996) and to my eyes, the bird from Leyte matches nicely the illustration there for L. p. cabanisi (extent and shade of brown on throat, exact feather pattern on the underparts, bill colour, absence of golden outer tail feathers etc).
Interestingly, again to my eyes, the bird you photographed in Palawan (the one in the tree) doesn't look like cabanisi, but as L. p. blasii (which occurs in Flores, Timor and the Lesser Sundas). I'm attaching the relevant images from Restall (Google preview... unfortunately I don't have the book, so no access to main text) so that you can say what you think of it. Were they introduced to Palawan?

Attachments

• Image36_2Lonchura_punctulata.jpg
    Image36_2Lonchura_punctulata.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Image37_2Lonchura_punctulata.jpg
    Image37_2Lonchura_punctulata.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Image38_2Lonchura_punctulata.jpg
    Image38_2Lonchura_punctulata.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Image39_2Lonchura_punctulata.jpg
    Image39_2Lonchura_punctulata.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 22
I was checking Munias & Mannikins (Restall 1996) and to my eyes, the bird from Leyte matches nicely the illustration there for L. p. cabanisi (extent and shade of brown on throat, exact feather pattern on the underparts, bill colour, absence of golden outer tail feathers etc).
Interestingly, again to my eyes, the bird you photographed in Palawan (the one in the tree) doesn't look like cabanisi, but as L. p. blasii (which occurs in Flores, Timor and the Lesser Sundas). I'm attaching the relevant images from Restall (Google preview... unfortunately I don't have the book, so no access to main text) so that you can say what you think of it. Were they introduced to Palawan?

Thanks so much Rafael. I've not access to all books here, and my internet is limited, so your help is really nice!

I thought a second that actually my Palawan bird might have been something else than cabanisi because I've other photos from there and they look more like Leyte birds!

It occurs naturally in Palawan according to all references. The bird I have in photo can be a vagrant or an escapee! Indeed, checking my photos in details, indeed, I've only ONE individual like this. I didn't realize directly because I've seen it many times, it was breeding near my hotel in Puerto Princesa (it was my first munia on the country!); but now I understand it. It was paired with a seemingly "normal" cabanisi (attached).

So on Leyte are cabanisi as one could expect, and I've a unidentified individual on Palawan. Not bad o:)

Thanks again! :t:

Attachments

• Lonchura_punctulata5.jpg
    Lonchura_punctulata5.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back