• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

scope advice (1 Viewer)

astley

Hi Guys

I am lookimng for some advice around a cheap/budget telescope.

Recently back into birding along with my very keen 10 year old son.

Have done many trips but finding at times the binocs just dont see far enough, I have had a look but am not going to pay the mega bucks that some fetch.

Can anyone recommend something that is hardwearing bearing in mind i am sharing with my son, and gets us better veiws than binocs, and does not cost the earth.

Many thanks in anticipation

Paul

I got this Celestron second-hand from a fellow forum member. I got it for £70 but I would say that the new price is also worth the money. It is quite heavy and struggles in poor light, but if this is where your budget lies, I recommend it.

Aldi occasionally sell cheap scopes.
Not the best optically but they only cost £25 or so. A good place to start, I'd say.
If you and you lad continue to develop your interest you can then upgrade to a second hand decent scope from an optical dealer or eBay.

I would say between £50.00 to £150 maximum.

What ??X?? zoom should I also be looking for.

For that budget, the Celestron scope I recommended above is a good buy and has a range of 20x to 60x although beyond about 40x the quality drops noticeably. However, this scope has proved incredibly useful at lochs and looking out to sea for me. I've managed to identify so many more birds than would have been possible with just bins.

I saw a review on Amazon for this scope and someone mentioned about buying a new eyepiece for it and this has improved the clarity no end - potential upgrade for the future.

Incidentally, I started off with the Aldi £26 scope:t:

EDIT just found the Celestron on eBay and potentially even cheaper here

Last edited:
I think at that price range I would take the second hand route, and avoid zoom altogether. I can't see good zooms coming cheap.

My first scope was a Kowa 25x50 I got from Ebay for £250, and actually I'd suggest that that might be a better budget to aim for.

If I were you I would keep an eye on the for sale here, and also keep an eye on spotting scopes on Ebay, and if you see something in the right price range etc look at reviews before buying.

Oh, and also make a 'budget scope wanted' thread here - maybe someone will be wanting to trade up.

Another thing to consider is a tripod, which is a must for a scope. I know from hard experience that cheap ones can be pretty much useless.

And again, think about whether a lot of your watching will be on longish treks or from easy to access hides. If the former lightness and bulk are major considerations, if the latter not. My new scope is much bulkier than my first one, and I only tend to take it if I'm going to places easy of access where I will sit for some time.

I picked up a Nikon RA111 Wp telesope from Wilkinsons the Camera shop.
it came with a 25x eyepice.
The cost was £250 for the whole lot including the cover. it is actually a decent scope for the price.
It has its limitations but it does a good job.
I am out every weekend and go abroad birdwatching.
It hasn't let me down yet.
If you go on to Amazon they might have some left as it has been discontinued.
Give it a go!

Paul[/QUOTE]

Brilliant guys and gals a lot to consider, many thanks for you all for taking the time to respond.

Paul, and Son Shay

Only arrived yesterday, and first impression is very pleased.

Will don the hat and gloves tomorrow and give it a real test in the field.

Will let you know

Right Guys

Managed to get out to Rutland Water today and have to admit for £70.00 it is a bargain.

Granted not as sharp as some scopes I sampled today, but what do you expect for the money.

It was great to be able to scan the opposite shoreline to the hide and tell what I was looking at rather than estimate.

Thanks Again for all the advice and comments

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back