• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland, Highland Shore, Hopeman Beach, unknown young(?) bird (1 Viewer)

AlexisWren

Germany
Hello everyone,

I have spotted this bird in Scotland in the bushes next to the shore of Hopeman Beach. I've been looking all morning trying to find what kind of bird it is. I thought of maybe it being a dunnock, or a lancecoated warbler or a thrush. I also suppose it could be a young bird?
It was often sitting on top of the bushes. Next to it but hiding were Wrens.
I would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSC_4775.JPG
    13.7 MB · Views: 72
  • DSC_4782.JPG
    11.9 MB · Views: 35
It's not a Lanceolated Warbler which is a rare vagrant, mostly to the Northern Isles (especially Shetland and Fair Isle) in September/October and is also a total skulker more likely to sneak up to you invisibly through the grass and tie your shoelaces together without you noticing.

It's a juvenile Stonechat now that the photo has opened. Small but sharp images easy to identify.

John

Oh well, I would have never thought! The adult looks so different. Funny enough, as I photographed an adult one on another coast. Thank you two very much!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back