• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scottish Crossbills in Argyll (1 Viewer)

Quercus

homo sarkensis
Today's Atlas "bird or the day" on the BTO website shows a record of Scottish Crossbills in Argyll, (and one near Glasgow.)

www.bto.org/birdatlas/birdoftheday.htm

Do they really get that far south?

I'm particularly interested as I used to live in the Square shown, and contributed to that square. Did i miss something?

There were certainly quite a few crossbills on the Cowal Penisular early last year., all those that I saw were in Sitka spruce plantations... I just assumed they were all Commons as it's so far away from the usual range!

was the same here in kintyre last year, seemed to be a lot more crossbills about in early part of last year than is normal, certainly not seeing as many this year. wouldnt be able to identify a scottish in the field anyway, not sure of the calls, so would be also interested on identication method

was the same here in kintyre last year, seemed to be a lot more crossbills about in early part of last year than is normal, certainly not seeing as many this year. wouldnt be able to identify a scottish in the field anyway, not sure of the calls, so would be also interested on identication method

Go on the RSPB website, there's a section on there that deals with birdcalls (audio). It isn't great but it does give some indication at the difference in pitch between Crossbill, Scottish Crossbill and Parrot Crossbill.

The Argyll bird Club don't include Scottish Crossbill on the county list, saying there is no sound evidence. (and reading between the lines no-one's looking for them either)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back