• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

screech owl phases (1 Viewer)

I have screech owls taking up residence in a nesting box. This morning I am looking at the grey phase of the owl and yesterday the red or rufous phase was looking out at me. Is this possible that the two colors would breed or is one male and other female, which of course is most likely. When is their breeding season. Tried to find info in books I have but no luck.

I have screech owls taking up residence in a nesting box. This morning I am looking at the grey phase of the owl and yesterday the red or rufous phase was looking out at me. Is this possible that the two colors would breed or is one male and other female, which of course is most likely. When is their breeding season. Tried to find info in books I have but no luck.

They can and do breed with members displaying the other colour phase, it make no difference to the owls which colour they are. There is also an intermediate phase. Also, it is common to have both phases hatch from a single clutch.

Here's a pair I photographed and later drew at a local nature reserve in Southern Ontario, Canada.

Russ

Attachments

• screech owls reduced.jpg
    screech owls reduced.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 36
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back