• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scridifer's Bulgaria List (1 Viewer)

Didn’t realise you did that Chris. I’m looking at Eastern European options for next year
I help out a friend from time to time Owen, I'll DM you his details. Very experienced in Romania and Northern Greece (and Bulgaria obviously!)

Chris

Chris, Owene's post has made me think about the area for a future trip. My targets from your list so far this year would be: Pygmy Cormorant, Dalmatian Pelican, Pallas's Gull, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Collared, Semi-collared & Red-breasted Flycatchers, Lesser & Greater Spotted Eagles and Levant Sparrowhawk. Would all (or most) of these be doable on an independent trip at this time of year?

Chris, Owene's post has made me think about the area for a future trip. My targets from your list so far this year would be: Pygmy Cormorant, Dalmatian Pelican, Pallas's Gull, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Collared, Semi-collared & Red-breasted Flycatchers, Lesser & Greater Spotted Eagles and Levant Sparrowhawk. Would all (or most) of these be doable on an independent trip at this time of year?
Hi Pete,

Pallas's Gull is a winter visitor, and GSE more likely in winter although not impossible (Andrew Bailey and I had one a couple of weeks back). Pygmy Cormorant and Dalmatian would be unmissable and Grey-headed Woodie, LSE and Semicollared highly likely. Red-breasted Flys are going through now, it is perhaps a tad late for Collareds now and could be a fraction early for Levant (ours on Friday was the first seen at Poda this year.
If you want any further gen at any time just let me know.

Chris

Hi Pete,

Pallas's Gull is a winter visitor, and GSE more likely in winter although not impossible (Andrew Bailey and I had one a couple of weeks back). Pygmy Cormorant and Dalmatian would be unmissable and Grey-headed Woodie, LSE and Semicollared highly likely. Red-breasted Flys are going through now, it is perhaps a tad late for Collareds now and could be a fraction early for Levant (ours on Friday was the first seen at Poda this year.
If you want any further gen at any time just let me know.

Chris
Thanks, Chris, much appreciated.

Any good butterflies or reptiles while you’ve been there?
Cleopatra, Two-tailed Pasha (both big targets for me) Southern Brown Argus, Southern Blue and Bath White (we have Eastern Bath White in Bulgaria). Italian Wall Lizard, Turkish Gecko, Moroccan Rock Lizard & Lilford's Wall Lizard. Copper Demoiselle and Small Red Damsel were also new for me, along with Balearic Green Toad 😊

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back