• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scythebill update issue (1 Viewer)

LarryLeider

United States
Have used this software for some time without update problems.
Now using PC with Win 10 as before and get a message on download that upgrade may damage computer and won't work.
Any suggestions ?
Larry

It is because Microsoft does not have a record of AWiner being a safe software producer. If you still trust him, there is a way for you to click "advanced" and "proceed anyway" (not sure about the exact wording but you get the gist).

Niels

It is because Microsoft does not have a record of AWiner being a safe software producer. If you still trust him, there is a way for you to click "advanced" and "proceed anyway" (not sure about the exact wording but you get the gist).

Niels
That did it.
Thanks for the help
Larry

Thanks, njlarsen. And this is definitely annoying. To get into technical details, it's not exactly because Microsoft doesn't have a record of me as a safe software producer, but rather that they don't have proof that I'm the developer of that particular download.

The fix, unfortunately, involves me spending an annual fee for what's called a "signing certificate", which range from about $70 a year for the cheapo version to hundreds of dollars a year for the best version. I've been reluctant to do so, but will probably just suck it up and do so (as I've been doing for years on MacOS).

Thanks, njlarsen. And this is definitely annoying. To get into technical details, it's not exactly because Microsoft doesn't have a record of me as a safe software producer, but rather that they don't have proof that I'm the developer of that particular download.

The fix, unfortunately, involves me spending an annual fee for what's called a "signing certificate", which range from about $70 a year for the cheapo version to hundreds of dollars a year for the best version. I've been reluctant to do so, but will probably just suck it up and do so (as I've been doing for years on MacOS).
I did just get around to my update, and indeed it did trigger an annoying sequence to deter the download and installation. But during that sequence I did encounter an opportunity to notify Microsoft that I trust the software and the developer, and I took advantage of that opportunity.

Gary H

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back