• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea eagles in suffolk (1 Viewer)

valley boy said:
If they dont want them in England, we'll have them in Wales, plenty of food here too

I'll sell you some Valley Boy, what's the going prices for chubby chicks? About a month old about now 3:)

valley boy said:
I'll swap you for some sheep, in fact you can have them all ;)

Now there's a thing, whilst I see White-tailed Eagle near daily, Sheep are mega rarities out here!!! In fact, only saw my first ever ones just two or three years ago (unfortunately didn't take fieldnotes, so can't confirm the dates). However, real influx this year, saw a whole flock of them about two weeks ago ...at least 15 all together!!! Since you being so generous with your offer on sheep, I'll also throw in a few Honey Buzzards (got lot more of them than sheep), but I can forward these to Northumberland if you prefer 3:)

hold on just a minute chaps, if there's any sheep going may I insist you divert 3 or 4 this way, still need it for me patch mammal list ... I'll take an eagle to .. thanks

sonic said:
totally agree with you steve.
all the time and money spent on the rutland ospreys,in my opinion was waste of time as now we have at least 2 pairs breeding outside scotland.
dont get me wrong wt eagles are brilliant birds but should'nt we be spending time and money on birds that are declining in the uk farmland/woodland.

I read somewhere that the White-tailed Eagles on Mull brought in £1.5million to the local economy in the Western Isles. Similar amount brought in by Ospreys in Scotland too.

One of the Welsh male Ospreys was from Rutland Water.

The Rural Payments Scheme is intended to pay farmers and landowners to manage their land in ways sympathetic to wildlife and conservation.

Eagle return eyed - Welsh reintroduction scheme

Eagle return eyed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eagle return eyed May 4 2006

By Andrew Forgrave, Daily Post

THE world's fourth largest eagle could be set for a return to Wales.

Wildlife-lovers hope to re-introduce the White-Tailed Sea Eagle to Welsh coasts for the first time in centuries. If successful, the 8ft-winged bird - bigger than the Golden Eagle - is likely to become a major tourism draw as the signature animal of Wales' growing wildlife economy.

A group called Eryr M??r Cymru (Welsh Sea Eagles) has been set up and the project has the blessing of the Countryside Council for Wales: conservationists, falconers and academics met in Llanfairfechan yesterday to launch the scheme, aware they must first convince sceptics.

Farmers may be concerned about the safety of lambs while commercial fishermen could complain about the loss of fish stocks.

Prof Gareth Edwards-Jones, of Bangor University, said an established sea eagle colony would add a "wow factor" to Welsh wildlife tourism.

He said: "Farm unions and fishing groups from the Ll£n Peninsula were
invited to the meeting so we could discuss any concerns they might have.

"We are also talking to other conservation groups such as the RSPB, which may have concerns about the impact on other conservation species, such as the black grouse."

The re-introduction of the Golden Eagle was considered but studies concluded the Sea Eagle was a better bet as it would have good access to food supplies - fish, seabirds, small mammals and carrion.

If consensus is reached, Eryr Mor Cymru hopes to apply for £160,000 EU funding in the autumn and could start importing eaglets from Norway as early as next year, though 2008 remains more likely. Around 20 birds a year would be released over four years at two release sites in North West Wales. Several landowners have offered sites and these will be assessed this summer.

The group has enlisted as consultants world-reknowned eagle experts Dr Roy Dennis and Dr Mick Marquis, both of whom were involved in the re-introduction of the bird off the west coast of Scotland.

The Scottish project got underway on the island of Rum in 1975 with 82 birds brought under licence from Norway by the RAF.

The first breeding success was recorded in 1985. A further 58 young Norwegian eagles were released onto the Scottish mainland and the first of these began to breed in 1998.

Five have been killed, two by poison, and a Welsh re-introduction project would require long-term surveillance. Naturally gregarious, the birds may eventually nest in seaside towns.

Last month the RSPB estimated Mull's famous sea eagles generated £1.45m-£1.69m a year for the island's economy.

The arrival of ospreys to Glaslyn, Porthmadog, and the success of red kite breeding projects in Mid Wales have already brought tourism benefits for farmers.

[email protected]

Tales of a magical predator

SEA eagle plumage is mainly brown, though the bird's eyes, beak and talons are bright yellow, giving the poetic Gaelic name Iolairesuilnagreine ("the eagle with the sunlit eye").

Shetlanders believed it had magical abilities as fish apparently offered themselves belly-up in submission. Fishermen smeared their own baits with sea eagle fat to improve catches.

In reality sea eagles are quick to spot spent salmon on spawning grounds, or take disabled fish that are forced to the surface in deep tidal streams.

Although sea eagles catch live prey, they often steal from predators or follow fishing vessels for scraps. They also scavenge for carrion, particularly in winter: the fallen stock burial ban has set back conservation efforts.

Sheep farming, hunting, persecution and taxidermy wiped out indigenous British populations. A pair on the Isle of Man in 1818 was the last south of Scotland: the last UK bird, an albino, was shot in 1918.

I think the Re-introduction of WTSE would be fantastic whether it be in Wales or in Suffolk.

A lot of people do seem to think that they need to be out in the wilds like GE but SE are much more tolerant of humans etc than people think.

Remember that Sea Eagles will actaully come to you for food if you have it what other Bird of prey would do this...................................

theshark said:
I think the Re-introduction of WTSE would be fantastic whether it be in Wales or in Suffolk.

A lot of people do seem to think that they need to be out in the wilds like GE but SE are much more tolerant of humans etc than people think.

Remember that Sea Eagles will actaully come to you for food if you have it what other Bird of prey would do this...................................

I'm in favour- entirely unbiased as WT Eagle fan living in Suffolk. WTE (and some of the other big eagles) can do well in close proximity to humans.

So unselfishly my hope would be that Anglian Water will step in with a big wad; the birds will be diverted from Walberswick and released down the road from me at Alton Water; will be paid for by AW's metered lawn-waterers; and will play hell with the Canada Geese..

If the project doesn't divert funding from other projects, then I'm broadly in favour of the scheme. I think the knock on interest in birds in general could be very good conservation. Of course the one issue I do disagree with is the choice of East Anglia - the North Kent Marshes would be far better ;)

anyone got the latest bb today an article on how wte are breeding in holland.
there was a proposal to introduce them but birders objected as the population in europe was doing well and it was only a matter of time.

can we not just let the birds decide where they want to live? why do have to introduce everything

Richard D said:
If the project doesn't divert funding from other projects, then I'm broadly in favour of the scheme. I think the knock on interest in birds in general could be very good conservation. Of course the one issue I do disagree with is the choice of East Anglia - the North Kent Marshes would be far better ;)

How about their last known breeding site in England (in 1780) the sea cliffs on the Isle of Wight.

sonic said:
can we not just let the birds decide where they want to live?

They didn't decide to get blasted out of the skies in the centuries past. White-tailed Eagles are doing okay in Europe, yes, but their population range is a fragment of what it was in past times, don't see anything negative in proposals to reintroduce to former areas ...its win win.

PS saw three today - I see them almost every day and still stop and watch in amazement - they are absolute stonkers of birds, were I to live in East Anglia or whereever, I'd be more than chuffed at the prospect of getting these back on my patch.

my own opinion is that they reintroduce these birds to make money.sorry but thats what i think,would a non birder want to see a corn bunting? i dont think so.
before i get accused of being anti raptor i love all birds but things happenend in the past that we cannot change.

sonic said:
my own opinion is that they reintroduce these birds to make money.sorry but thats what i think,would a non birder want to see a corn bunting? i dont think so.
before i get accused of being anti raptor i love all birds but things happenend in the past that we cannot change.
We can change them though by letting a few loose here and there, then its up to them

valley boy said:
We can change them though by letting a few loose here and there, then its up to them

Spot on. Thats exactly how it should be.

Our ancestors blasted them out of sky, we should try and help them back again. If they don't succeed then thats just the way it is, but we should at least give them that chance.

It may be that the birds in East Anglia don't like it, and their next stop is . . . . . . . . . . . . . Holland. Maybe it's a ploy by the Dutch to get WTE for free :)

Wally

New Suffolk SSSI for nationally important area for bitterns and habitats

Richard D said:

Coast fears, as SSSI agreed

JONATHAN REDHEAD

30 June 2006 06:15

Plans for an extended Site of Special Scientific Interest in north Suffolk have been ratified.

The decision, at a meeting in Oxford, by English Nature's council to back its own scheme means an area of land along the coast between Pakefield and Easton Bavents, near Southwold, and the wildlife within it now have legal protection.

But objections from people who feared that homes and land would be lost if the SSSI status was put in place and the cliffs at Easton Bavents were left to be eroded by the sea, were rejected by the council.

Fears had been raised that any sea defence work, including the DIY work of Peter Boggis, dubbed King Canute, would have to end.

However, a statement from English Nature said that by law it had to base any decision on SSSI status on whether the site is of special interest.

Gareth Dalglish, from English Nature's Suffolk team, said he could understand people's concerns, but decisions on sea defence work are made by local authorities.

"People are understandably worried about coast erosion," he said. "But the decision to confirm the SSSI is not a decision to allow the coast to erode. The policy for coast protection is decided by local authorities."

The area was already protected as a SSSI but English Nature had to take the unusual step of re-notifying the site after natural coastal erosion saw the coastline recede behind the original boundaries drawn on the map.

The new Pakefield to Easton Bavents SSSI is nearly eight miles long and will cover more than 1800 acres of land.

The SSSI is renowned as a nationally important area for birds such as the bittern, habitats such as saline lagoons and vegetated shingle and for its geology.

The Scottish project got underway on the island of Rum in 1975 with 82 birds brought under licence from Norway by the RAF.

The first breeding success was recorded in 1985. A further 58 young Norwegian eagles were released onto the Scottish mainland and the first of these began to breed in 1998.

am i right in understanding that 140 chicks were stolen from norway just to fuel someones ego!

and here's me watching a merlin nest just so pigeon fanciers/falconers and egg collecters dont get them!

well if the birds(or eggs) were wild and being fed/incubated by adults then therefore they were stolen/taken from their parents.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back