• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seafield to Kinghorn (6 Viewers)

My slow motion Spring continued to slowly unroll this morning during another walk along the Seafield strip.

Approaching the large sandy bar between the harbour and the tower, I spotted a few birds working the waters edge. Two were Oystercatchers, and the third I thought initially to be a Curlew. Something looked off with the Curlew though, even at distance it looked small. I drew closer in parallel, but the bird lifted before I could get a good look. I picked it up in the air with the binoculars, noting a shortish looking beak, and tracked its flight north to rocks at the harbour where it landed. I was sure it was a Whimbrel at this point, but retraced my steps towards the harbour to get a record shot or two, that have confirmed Whimbrel as the correct ID.

Willow Warblers have now arrived in force, which are my first of the year for this area. Another first was found on the rocks off the tower, with my first Sandwich Terns of the year being spotted.

Attachments

• DSCN9341.jpg
    DSCN9341.jpg
    580.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN9357.jpg
    DSCN9357.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 10
It appears that the winter birds have not fully deserted the strip yet, with Purple Sandpiper, Dunlin and Long-tailed Duck being spotted this afternoon. New for the year though were some distant Teal out on the Forth. In the grasses and scrub, there was a welcome return for Reed Bunting.

Quite a few Sandwich Terns around now, actively splash diving. And a few Fulmar patrolling up and down the coastline, while Razorbills are in good numbers out towards Inchkeith. No Puffins yet, but they have already been reported further up the Forth

Attachments

• DSCN9393.jpg
    DSCN9393.jpg
    657.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN9364.jpg
    DSCN9364.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN9396.jpg
    DSCN9396.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN9408.jpg
    DSCN9408.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN9410.jpg
    DSCN9410.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 9
A quick visit yesterday afternoon, after running some errands in Kircaldy. Delighted to find a Whimbrel near the Tower, our first of the year. Otherwise very quiet, only other waders seen were Oystercatchers. Gannet numbers building up in the Firth though and spotted some Sandwich Terns flying along the coast. Way out were some Auks, but didn't have the scope with us so couldn't check them out.

I have been home since Tuesday, and have had a bit of catching up to do. I headed along Seafield on Wednesday afternoon, but with the tide out, and it being blowy and cold, the birds were not for cooperating, so I only went as far as the tower. Only birds added to the year list was a lone Sedge Warbler that briefly called from the sanctuary of a thick bush at the car park.

Early Thursday morning, I returned again. Tide was high, and weather was calm. At the car park I heard a bird calling amongst the Dunnock and Greenfinch that were evident in the same area. To be honest, I did not recognise the call. I thought maybe Lesser Whitethroat, but eventually wrote it off as a tit. Never saw the bird.

Also evident at the car park were Sedge Warblers. Lots of Sedge Warblers. In fact this was true of the whole strip. Lots and lots of Sedge Warblers!

Past the harbour, I soon came across my first Common Whitethroat of the year. There were more to come along the route. At the tower, there were distant Sandwich terns on the rocks, but I think also a few Common Terns. Another year tick. I have photos, but have not looked at them yet.

Passing the tower, I climbed the rise up towards the phone mast. As I approached a thick Blackthorn bush, I again heard the same call I had heard at the car park. This time I could see the bird moving about in the bush, but could not get any detail. The call again reminded me of last years Lesser Whitethroat, but seemed too fast a repetition. This time though I recorded the call before moving on.

Surprisingly, there was very little to see out at sea. There had been several reports of Puffin in the previous weeks, but I found the day to be auk free.

The only other highlight of the session was a Sparrowhawk that was flying low along the hawthorn walled corridors that hem the path in at places, obviously hoping to surprise a prey species.

Returning to the car park, I bumped into another birdwatcher that I know. He and a friend were there to try and find Lesser Whitethroat, but he also informed me that earlier in the month (2nd), he had found a Grasshopper Warbler reeling away in the same grassy area that I had one last year. Sadly, there was 24 hrs of wind and heavy rain following the spot, and subsequent visits did not produce the desired second spot, the thought being that the poor weather had moved the bird on.

Following Seafield, I popped in to the loch area for a brief visit, but found very little of note. Not even a Sedge Warbler, although House Martin were present.

At home this afternoon, I got around to reading the last 3 weeks plus of the FBN on WhatsApp. I saw the Grasshopper report, but also, I saw several reports for Lesser Whitethroat along Seafield, with some of the sightings being in the exact spots that I had heard the mystery call. I had forgotten the recording I had made of there bird seen in the bush, so when I checked it, I was delighted to find I 100% had a Lesser Whitethroat.

Also found in the WhatsApp reports, was a new species sighting at Kinghorn Loch. Made by a very experienced birder on the 14th, I am pleased to add Hobby to the list.

135 (92). Hobby

An early morning visit found a subdued Seafield strip. Cold and grey conditions, but I soldiered on. Less birds seen than my previous visit, but one addition made to the week's list; when a couple of flights of Velvet Scoter were seen out over the Forth.
Leaving the strip, I again headed for the loch. Little change there either, however, a single Great crested Grebe, not yet traumatised by the paddle boarders, was seen on the water, along with a couple of male Tufted Duck. In the woods, a Sparrowhawk was seen, and near the gas unit, a stoat crossed my path.

Another early session at Seafield, but curtailed by heavy rain. Enough time to spot a flock of Common Scoter, and locate two Lesser Whitethroat. One at the car park, and the second just past the harbour, on the embankment below the gardens.

Dodgy photos of both Lessers provided.

Attachments

• DSCN9453.jpg
    DSCN9453.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN9460.jpg
    DSCN9460.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 8
Another early session, but this time at the loch. Everything still fairly quiet, but some gradual movement towards summer. First change was the arrival of Common Whitethroats, although surprisingly, no Sedge Warblers yet, despite large numbers along the coastal strip.

On the water, the last grebe, a bird I'm calling Hans, still remains. Two pairs of Tufted were also present.

I covered pretty much the whole area. Blackcaps are well ensconced, but no Garden warbler evident. Heading up the Rodanbraes path, an Oystercatcher, calling noisily, flew over. A patch tick for me. Up at the highpoint, four Greylag flew low over the field, an area already being patrolled by a squadron of Swallows. These were wild, or at least feral Greylags, not representatives of the domesticated bunch on the loch, who incidentally, have nine goslings now with them.

Making my way back to the car, in a circuitous route, my second patch tick of the day was seen sitting on a wire over the lane that climbs up towards the cottages. A Collared Dove.

I had been intending on heading out of Fife today, but with the lingering affects of some mild heat/sun stroke from Mondays expedition in the Lomond Hills, I decided to do the sensible thing for once, and take it easy on the patch.

Yesterday, I had kept my activity to a quick check along the Seafield strip. I had found nothing of huge note, but was mildly surprised to find a Greylag hanging out with a large group of assembled Eider, mainly males, on the rocks off the tower. Only other bird worthy of mention was the continued presence of a Lesser Whitethroat at the car park.

The car park can be very productive, but I fear the worse for this area, as planning permission has been applied for to build housing directly behind the car park. You would think that the Fife Coast and Countryside Trust would be resisting this, but I've not heard anything to that effect. Maybe I am wrong, and maybe I am just being grumpy, but I have little regard for the FC&CT, as I suspect they are just a pseudo conservation body. My understanding is that their board is dominated by councillors and businessmen, so I won't be holding my breath waiting on action from them.

This afternoon, I headed for the loch. First surprise was that there were two Great Crested Grebes on the water. Sadly, there has been no return of the Little Grebes.

I stopped to chat with one of the regular carp anglers. He showed me a short clip of footage on his phone from the winter. The recording was of a mother otter with two young ones munching away on a carp, very close to where I found the half eaten body of a carp in December. Might even have been the same fish. The bad news from the angler was that he had also seen Mink at the water earlier this year.

Moving on from the loch, I decided to do something a little different. I dropped down to the road near the Alcan gates, crossed it, and headed up the hill (I believe it is called Gallowhill) to the south of the loch. Normally I would only scan this area from various vantage points, but today I decided to take a closer look. Passing between the fields, I followed the footpath up the slope until I was looking, over the top of the small roadside plantation, at the loch. Bird life was dominated by Jackdaws and Starlings, but halfway up the hill I found a Kestrel, a personal patch tick for the loch area. Then almost immediately, I found a couple of Meadow Pipit. That does not sound very exciting, but Meadow Pipit is actually a new species for the loch area. I did not realise that myself until I checked the master list earlier.

Returning back down the hill, I made my way up up past Craigencalt Cottage, where I bumped into the owners. A really interesting conversation ensued, where we got around to the subject of owls. They were telling me about hearing Tawny Owls calling back and for, near the cottage. But even more interestingly, they mentioned having seen Barn Owl several times, in the fields just above the cottage. I had long suspected this would be a good area for Barn Owl, so I'm very pleased to add the species to the master list.

93. Meadow Pipit
136 (94). Barn Owl

Attachments

• DSCN9560.jpg
    DSCN9560.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN9572.jpg
    DSCN9572.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN9600.jpg
    DSCN9600.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 5
A few observations from a wander along Seafield this afternoon.

House Martins are back in force and busy house building. The muddy patch behind the sea wall seems to be providing plenty of the right materials. I hope they do better than the Sand Martins, which were nesting on the patch, but disappeared when I was last away. There was some heavy, wet weather while I was away, so I am thinking they might have been flooded out.

A Kestrel seen hunting over the grassy patch by the stone dyke. Seen again at the tower on the way back. First I've seen along the strip this year. Might be the same bird that I saw across at the loch yesterday.

And a Stonechat seen at the point cove. First since January, so a welcome return.

Attachments

• DSCN9603.jpg
    DSCN9603.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 4
Sadly, it looks like one of the two GCGs that have been about on the loch for the last few days, has perished.

Attachments

• DSCN9611.jpg
    DSCN9611.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 11
That's awful news, especially after they've been displaying this week. We'll try and retrieve the body and see if we can find out what happened to it. Thanks Paul.

Oh no!!! What an awful shame Paul.

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Even though it isn't the grebe, it's still sad to see.

Was there anything obvious that may have cause him to die?

Glad it is not a Grebe, but feel sorry for the Mallard.

The local male Mute Swan has been very aggressive of late. It has been seen to be drowning the Domestic Goose cygnets.

I've just been updating the list for the loch area, as there have been a few additions this year. I found that I counted Jay twice, so that is now corrected, and the species count is now sitting at a very healthy 94.

Loch List

1. Barn Owl
2. Blackbird
3. Black-headed Gull
4. Blue Tit
5. Bullfinch
6. Buzzard
7. Canada Goose
8. Carrion Crow
9. Chaffinch
10. Chiffchaff
11. Collared Dove