• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seafield to Kinghorn (4 Viewers)

Firstly, a happy new year to everyone.

A couple of days ago, I carried out an extensive tour of the loch area. Part of the reason for this was to carry out a health check on the local bird population, following the discovery of a Dunnock with Avian pox by one of the KLWG members. Sadly, I did find another bird with pox. This time a Yellowhammer; so not good news. I've also been informed of other infected birds, and even a couple of fatalities, locally. We are informing everyone we can, to carry out extra cleaning of their feeders.

This morning dawned, but I was not expecting too much, as with Covid running rife, I had decided to stick to my home patch, instead of my more usual New Year day tour further afield. However, events between 11:00 hrs and 13:00 hrs have convinced me that the right decision had been made.

Heading past the tower, and up the slope, I was alerted to something special, by the excited cries from the young children of a family that I had just past. They were jumping up and down, and pointing out to sea. I scanned the general area, and as I did, a Hump-backed Whale breached the surface. The whale then proceeded to breach, leap, roll, splash, and generally put on a show for the next 20 minutes. This patch has given me many wonderful moments, but those 20 minutes were absolutely golden!

Moving on, I spotted a gull on the water, that even at distance looked a little different. I grabbed a few shots, and later, in front of my computer screen, I found that I had a suspected Little Gull. This has been confirmed on the Bird ID pages of these fora. This is a patch tick for me, so particularly pleasing, especially considering that patch ticks are getting much more difficult to achieve.

And finally, in a group of about 80 BHGs, I managed to sort out a Mediterranean Gull.

All in all, not bad for the first day of the year!

Attachments

• DSCN1607.jpg
    DSCN1607.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1621.jpg
    DSCN1621.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1629.jpg
    DSCN1629.jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1644.jpg
    DSCN1644.jpg
    661.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN1650.jpg
    DSCN1650.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 23
WOWSER Paul - what a grand start to the year.

And I had to go all the way to Australia to see a Humpy!!!

An early visit to the loch yesterday morning paid dividends with the appearance of a Stoat on the Rodanbraes path. Unfortunately, I fluffed the photos, but attach a couple of record shots. The loch itself was pretty quiet, but I often find this is the case on a Monday. Probably due to maximum disturbance on Sundays. In the woodland though, I found a descent flock of Redwing. The most I've had here this season in one group. I thought I had a couple of Fieldfare later, out on the fields, but they turned out to be equally welcome Mistle Thrush.

Also seen from the Rodanbraes path, a group of about thirty Curlew. I grabbed a few photos, and found later, that one of the birds was ringed. An orange ring with three letters/numbers above the right knee. And a thinner unmarked orange ring above the left knee. Sadly, the photo was blurry, so I could not read the ring, but having done a bit of research, I believe this bird was ringed in Norway.

At the weekend, a badly injured Greylag (Dom) was reported. I found parts of the bird spread over the horse pasture. I can only think a fox, as the kill appeared so fresh as to only being carried out overnight. Badger would be capable, but I think unlikely. Dog at night time? Also unlikely.

Moving on to the coastal strip, things were a little quiet. I did hear a strange bird call that I've not been able to place. A bit like a Greenfinch, but louder and more forceful.

A single female Goldeneye on the water reinforced the impression I have had, that this has been an excellent year for Goldeneye. Also out on the Forth, several Long-tailed Duck were evident.

At the harbour, a flock of Purple Sandpiper nearly burnt my totaliser out, with a final figure of 17 being settled on.

Attachments

• DSCN1765.jpg
    DSCN1765.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN1766.jpg
    DSCN1766.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN1775.jpg
    DSCN1775.jpg
    765.2 KB · Views: 3
Yesterday, I managed to re-locate the ringed Curlew that I mentioned in my last post. It wasn't too difficult, as it was in the same field. Getting a photo though, did prove difficult, as the field has rolls in it, and the birds were very flighty, and kept dipping into areas out of sight from the perimeter. I had just about given up, when they flew into the adjoining field, where I was able to get a few photos.

The photos were at distance, and were not great. I thought AUP for the darvic text, but having sent them off to the ringing project in Norway, I have been informed that the alpha code is AMP. This is a bird ringed as a chick in the nest on the 30/06/19 near the village of Nærbø, in Hå kommune (a sub-county district), Rogaland, Norway. The ringing site, 38 km south of Stavanger, is 600 km ENE of the loch. The bird next turns up at Port Seton, on the south side of the Firth, being spotted there on the 10/06/20, then another 14 times until 25/09/22. The Norwegian project are pleased with the loch sighting, as it is the first ever for this bird in winter months, so gives them fresh info as to its habits/movements.

Attachments

• AMP.jpg
    AMP.jpg
    778.1 KB · Views: 7
I have had a busy week or more, that has severely restricted my birding activities. I did however manage to the loch last Friday. Windy conditions were not ideal, but I did manage to find a Sparrowhawk lurking near the hide feeders, and three Roe Deer were in the field next to the Rodanbraes path. I also noted at the weekend, that Jay and Siskin have been seen at the hide.
This afternoon, I made it too Seafield. Happy to find that we have a couple of Bar-tailed Godwit there. They have been missing for most of the winter. Also seen for the first time in a little while were Ringed Plovers.

Attachments

• DSCN1863.jpg
    DSCN1863.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1899.jpg
    DSCN1899.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 5
A couple of visitors found on the loch this morning. Two male Pochard seen at the west end through the rain.

I also caught up with two Jays that have been frequenting the woodland around the hide. I have to confess that I have a particular soft spot for Jays, despite some of their less savoury dining choices. As a young boy, a significant amount of years ago, I found one of their blue feathers in woodland at the side of a reservoir in Wales. Jay was not on the radar, so I treasured the feather as a Kingfisher feather, until I was old enough to work out my error.

Attachments

• DSCN1969.jpg
    DSCN1969.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1968.jpg
    DSCN1968.jpg
    643 KB · Views: 5
I have made several visits to Seafield over the last week and a half or so. Spring is starting to get a grip, with LBBGs and Chiffchaff now showing on my lists. Most notable sightings have been repeated viewings of a flock of Common Scoter. A week ago they numbered c70, but yesterday I counted 100. I don't usually see too many scoter at Seafield, and historically, they have often been the odd flock passing by. This flock however, seem to have taken up residence, at least for now. Also seen a couple of times are a trio of Velvet Scoter, although they don't appear to be associated with the Scoter flock.

The winter birds are disappearing now. No Rock Pipits seen, and for my first week back, the Purple Sandpipers were no where to be seen. However, Purple Sandpiper have reappeared again over the last few days. I think my residents moved away, and these birds are just stopping off as they move north, but I can't be sure. Long-tailed Duck are still present in good numbers, but only a single Red-breasted Merganser seen. Although two Goosander seen for the first time this year.

I have also made several visits to the loch, but will post a separate update over the next few days.

Attachments

• DSCN2144.jpg
    DSCN2144.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN2174.jpg
    DSCN2174.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN2156.jpg
    DSCN2156.jpg
    794.8 KB · Views: 4
March at the loch was a fairly typical affair. Lots of the commoner birds setting up territories and starting to show nest building behaviour. The wintering wildfowl are now scarce, and although the two Pochard were seen at the beginning of the month, they were last seen being chased off by paddle boarders, an activity now on the increase again as we head towards warmer weather.

Quite a few Greenfinch about this year, which is good, but Linnet are strangely missing. Towards the end of the month, I visited the woodland behind the ruined Rodanbraes cottages. In the field above the woodland, I found c350 Pink-Footed Geese. In regards to summer birds arriving, Chiffchaff are very evident again.

And lastly, my wife spotted a Barn Owl along side the Kirkcaldy to Kinghorn road, near the Grange House, that looks down at the coastal path.

April has seen an influx of expected migrants, with the warbler department now well stocked. The woods at the loch are now filled with Blackcap and Willow Warbler, in addition to the Chiffchaffs that arrived in March. I'm convinced that there has to be a Garden Warbler or two in there somewhere, but I've not been able to sort one out yet.
Along the coastal strip, again the warblers are setting up shop. Whitethroats, Blackcaps and Willow Warblers abound. Pleasingly, I have found two different Lesser Whitethroats, and yesterday, I registered my first Sedge Warbler of the year. And while our summer birds are still arriving, the likes of Purple Sandpiper and Long-tailed Duck are still maintaining a reduced presence.
Out on the Forth, there are surprisingly good numbers of Guillemot, Razorbill and Gannet. Sandwich Terns have arrived, and Fulmar are commonly seen, while we had a sizeable passage of Kittiwake last week.
Yesterday saw a bit of a highlight, with two Grey Partridge seen along the strip.
Finally, Swallows and Sand Martins have arrived. No sign of House Martin or Swift yet.

Attachments

• DSCN2544.jpg
    DSCN2544.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2546.jpg
    DSCN2546.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2634.jpg
    DSCN2634.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2651.jpg
    DSCN2651.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN2872.jpg
    DSCN2872.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 5
I was at Seafield on Monday, but found it quiet under heavy grey skies. Less birds calling now as they try not to attract attention to their active nest sites. A Kestrel hunting near the tower was the highlight.

This morning, I ventured out into heavy rain to visit the loch area. I was hoping the rain had brought something down onto the loch, and was pleased to be right with 11 Pochard (10 male, 1 female)in attendance. It was also noted that a second pair of Great Crested Grebe were on the water, in addition to our nesting pair.

A few months ago, I started seeing reports from the Fife Bird News alert system on WhatsApp, for birds seen at East Braes, Kinghorn. I did not know where this was, and could not find any sign of it on a map. Further enquiries today, have revealed that East Braes (Easter Braes) is actually the extreme south end of the Seafield to Kinghorn area of my patch.

The person who has been making the reports from this area, is the Fife Recorder (Graham Sparshott), so I am confident in their accuracy. He has had a great spring at this location, and I am happy to add some of his sightings to the master list for the patch. On the 09/04/22, 3 separate Osprey were seen coming across the Forth. 2 Great Northern Divers were also seen. On the 17/04/22, a Grasshopper Warbler was found.

On the 06/05/22 a Hen Harrier (Male) came across the water. On the 14/05/22, 69 Manx Shearwaters were seen in passage. The next day, a Pomarine Skua was the star of the show, but arguably the best find was a Temmincks Stint that flew over on the 21/05/22. The Stint sighting was described by Graham, as the most bizarre Vis Mig sighting he has ever made.

And finally on the 29/05/22 a Long-tailed Skua and a Roseate Tern were spotted.

Of these birds, four make the list for the first time.

154. Osprey*
155. Long-tailed Skua*
156. Roseate Tern*
157. Temmincks Stint*

It appears that I have not been giving this area of the patch, and sea watching in general, enough attention. Something I aim to rectify.

In addition to the above, I have been able to add a new species at the loch to the master list. On the 01/06/22, a pair of Garganey were seen. This sighting was made by Nigel Voaden, a wildlife photographer based in Burntisland. Nigel is also the Fife Moth/Butterfly recorder for Fife. Now if you want to give yourself a real treat, I urge you to Google Nigel Voaden and take a look at his photos on Instagram/Flickr. They are absolutely superb!

158 (102). Garganey*

Last edited:
Sadly, my patch, like many other places I am hearing about, has been hit by a major bird kill event. The suspected cause is Avian Flu. As I walked along the strip this morning, I counted thirty two dead Gannets, and 1 dead Guillemot. I have also heard of dead birds further up the Forth. Even more worryingly, I did not see a single live Gannet, which is very unusual for this time of year.

I only covered about a mile and a half of coast, so if the death toll in this area is representative of what is happening up and down the Forth, then we are talking thousands, not hundreds of fatalities.

Very sad!

The good news today, is that there quite a bit more activity along the strip than on Monday. A few year ticks for the patch were House Martin, Puffin and Common Tern.

Another highlight was Grey Partridge, but star of the show was saved till last, when I arrived back at the car park and heard a Lesser Whitethroat calling. I leaned against the six bar access gate, at the south end of the car park, while trying to get a glimpse of the bird. A minute or two of doing this produced no result, but suddenly, a second bird started calling out of the same clump of Hawthorn. Moments later, a bird flew out of the bush, and landed on another, less than a hundred feet away. Here it appeared towards the top twigs, in plain sight, and started calling again before eventually moving further up the car park, and resuming its calling from even thicker scrub.

I suspect that I witnessed a territory dispute between two males, and that is why the sighted bird seemed to lose its usual furtiveness. But I am just guessing. Glad I was there though. Just a pity the session started so badly with the dead Gannets.

Attachments

• DSCN3177 RSZ.jpg
    DSCN3177 RSZ.jpg
    679.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN3179 RSZ.jpg
    DSCN3179 RSZ.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN3161 RSZ.jpg
    DSCN3161 RSZ.jpg
    656.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN3173 RSZ.jpg
    DSCN3173 RSZ.jpg
    827.1 KB · Views: 10
Since my last post, I picked up a flu type virus (not Covid) that knocked me for six, and has curtailed my bird spotting activities. I did get out once or twice, but a distinct lack of energy was an ignored warning that I was doing the wrong thing. Eventually, I ended up passing out below the tideline on the rocky shore approaching Kinghorn. I managed to extract myself, but that was effectually the end of my birding for this month.

I was still struggling with the virus a week ago, when the double whammy arrived, and I tested positive for Covid. To say this week has been challenging is an understatement!

So apologies for the lack of reports, but normal service will be resumed in the near future.

OMG Paul!!! I'm sorry to hear you've been so unwell.

I do hope you recover quickly now.

Since my last post, I picked up a flu type virus (not Covid) that knocked me for six, and has curtailed my bird spotting activities. I did get out once or twice, but a distinct lack of energy was an ignored warning that I was doing the wrong thing. Eventually, I ended up passing out below the tideline on the rocky shore approaching Kinghorn. I managed to extract myself, but that was effectually the end of my birding for this month.

I was still struggling with the virus a week ago, when the double whammy arrived, and I tested positive for Covid. To say this week has been challenging is an understatement!

So apologies for the lack of reports, but normal service will be resumed in the near future.
Oh wow, that is not good. Take good care of yourself now, nature will still be there waiting for you.
Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery!

Managed to get out for a short walk at the loch on Saturday. The Great Crested Grebe pair have two hatched chicks. They join the two remaining Mute cygnets on the loch. There were six cygnets, but reportedly, the male swan killed off four of its own brood. I'm not sure how reliable that report is, as there were still three or four of last year's brood hanging about when the cygnets hatched. The parents were trying to chase them off, but I wonder if one of them got to the cygnets. All of last years juveniles have now left the loch.

A Common Sandpiper was seen at the end of June, but apart from that, nothing unusual.

On Sunday, I made a late afternoon visit to Seafield, but only went as far as the tower, as I'm still trying to build up energy levels following Covid. I stayed out of the early week heat, then yesterday, I tried a visit to the loch at about midday. I was fine in the woodland, but became rapidly drained of energy in the sun. There was nothing unusual to report.

Today dawned, and I was determined to get a proper session in. I pulled into the Seafield car park at eight then headed off. There was a nice cooling breeze and good cloud cover, so conditions were comfortable as I headed along the path. Heading up the slope from the tower, I heard a crow calling, and turned just in time to see it narrowly avoid a Peregrine swoop. The Peregrine then went on to harass a mixture of other species as it patrolled up and down the coastline, passing me by a couple of times.

From my falcon watching position on the slope, once the raptor had departed, I picked up on a bird that flew into the little bay next to the tower. I thought Common Sandpiper, but was not 100%. The bird had flown in behind rocks that had several escape routes out, so I stood hoping, while scanning the general area. It was while doing this that I picked up on movement in the undercut of the rock that the tower sits on. No bird this, but a new addition to the Seafield mammal list with a Brown Rat. Following the rats journey, it passed behind a bird. You guessed it; my Common Sandpiper.

Moving on, I reached the stone dyke from which I spotted a disturbance out on the Forth. A pod of Bottlenose Dolphin were heading east towards the Wemyss, and putting on an acrobatic display as they travelled. Also from my vantage point, I spotted a group of sea duck on the water. From the way they stuck together, I guessed that they were Scoter, and so it proved when I examined the record shots on a computer screen.

I went as far as the zig zap section of path before heading back, and was absolutely fine physically by the time I returned to the car. Recovery now at 90% and rising. Just in time for autumn arrivals! Which brings me to the most unexpected bird of the day in the form of a very early Bar-tailed Godwit.

Attachments

• DSCN3500.jpg
    DSCN3500.jpg
    739 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN3493.jpg
    DSCN3493.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN3531.jpg
    DSCN3531.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN3542.jpg
    DSCN3542.jpg
    651.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN3548.jpg
    DSCN3548.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back to Seafield this afternoon to find that more Bar-tailed Godwit had moved in, and that they had brought a few Sanderling with them. First time I can recall seeing them in summer plumage.

At the harbour, Shag are now coming back into range, so I've restarted recording and reporting the darvic numbers. A raft of 113 Goosander drifted by, but were not the most numerous bird on display. That honour went to a flock of two hundred or more Starlings.

Attachments

• DSCN3617.jpg
    DSCN3617.jpg
    730.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN3626.jpg
    DSCN3626.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN3579.jpg
    DSCN3579.jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN3575.jpg
    DSCN3575.jpg