• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Secret Bird (3 Viewers)

Accipiter91

Even though it is only slightly similar, I kind of stole this idea from "field work... hard work". The object of this quiz is to guess the name of the bird using the clues that I have posted on the thread. I will post 2 new clues every day (one in the morning and one at night). When the correct answer is posted I will choose a new bird and post new clues. Unfortunately, I do not know my foreign birds so I am only using birds from North America. However anyone is free to take a crack at it if they think they know the answer. Thanks and good luck! :t:

1) common bird of Southeastern pine forests.
2)often travels in small groups

clue #2

3) Sometimes mixes with other woodland birds such as titmice, chickadees, kinglets, and warbler.
4) feeds on seeds and insects gleaned from trees while foraging.

Good job, the correct answer is Brown-headed Nuthatch! Secret Bird number 2 will not be quite as easy!

1)Common in wet deciduous woods and thickets throughout most of the United States.

Nope good guess...keep trying! Since I did not post a clue this morning I guess I can post clue #3!

3)Moves briskly (often flicking tail) while foraging for insects throughout the canopy.

Last edited:
Ok, let us shift our gaze from the eastern United States and head elsewhere as we prepare to guess another "Secret Bird"...

1)Uncommon in dry, open, brushy, grassy, or desert habitat.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back