• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Self found rules: Local wintering/breeding species at "known sites" (1 Viewer)

Perhaps a more interesting question would be to ask who found who?

If I am sitting at home looking out into my garden and (hypothetically, and occasionally in my dreams) something mega hops up onto the fence then proceeds to gorge itself on the feeders/bird table or whatever, is that a self found bird? After all I have done nothing, except put out a few morsels, which I do as a matter of course for the local residents, so would it not be a case that the bird has found me rather than the other way around?

Just because I may be able to identify it without recourse to internet posts or having to ask a birding friend unlike some of the recent rarities that have turned up in non birders gardens still doesn't mean that I "found" the bird. I have only put a name to it. On the other hand what if I could not ID it does the person who can claim a "self-found".

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back