• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Semipalmated or Ringed Plover? (1 Viewer)

jimmmer

Hi Guys,
I need some help identifying these birds. The birds were seen yesterday April 21, on the Caribbean island of Barbados. The first thing I noticed was no eye rings. I tried to get a look at the feet but was unable too it also was not calling. Here are my points for Semipalmated and Ringed plover
Semi: Location, no obvious white patch behind the eye
Common Plover : No distinguishable eye ring, bill shape and where the black meets the base of the bill.
I have never seen a Common but did some research on them but not enough to separate the two with this bird. images#1 & 5 are also no eye ring. I hope you can help and please let me know why you say SEPL of CRPL.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1A1A0649.jpg
    1A1A0649.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 1A1A0650.jpg
    1A1A0650.jpg
    506 KB · Views: 78
  • 1A1A0662.jpg
    1A1A0662.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 74
  • 1A1A0663.jpg
    1A1A0663.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 1A1A0668.jpg
    1A1A0668.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 1A1A0649.jpg
    1A1A0649.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Which of the birds are you unsure about? I see at least two birds in the photos, but you say you are unsure about "this bird".

Which of the birds are you unsure about? I see at least two birds in the photos, but you say you are unsure about "this bird".
Thanks for you observation - it was mainly the one in breeding plumage but as I was selecting images I decided to add the others seeing also had no eye rings. i will make the changes now.

Thanks for you observation - it was mainly the one in breeding plumage but as I was selecting images I decided to add the others seeing also had no eye rings. i will make the changes now.
The third image shows a fairly clear (though thin) yellow eye ring. These seem okay for Semipalmated to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back