• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Several birds from western Uganda in Sept part 2. (1 Viewer)

chris8796

United States
A variety of birds that I am uncertain about for one reason or another. If needed, I can go back and get specific location data for a specific picture.

DSC_4786 and DSC_4793 are different angles of the same bird.

Attachments

• DSC_3874 (2).JPG
    DSC_3874 (2).JPG
    847.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN9598 (2).JPG
    DSCN9598 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • DSCN9504.jpg
    DSCN9504.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC_4874.jpg
    DSC_4874.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_4793.jpg
    DSC_4793.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_4786.jpg
    DSC_4786.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_4757.jpg
    DSC_4757.jpg
    629.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_4601.jpg
    DSC_4601.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_4593.jpg
    DSC_4593.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_4588.jpg
    DSC_4588.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_4564 (2).JPG
    DSC_4564 (2).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • DSC_4265 (2).JPG
    DSC_4265 (2).JPG
    783.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_4088 (2).JPG
    DSC_4088 (2).JPG
    452.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_3889 (2).JPG
    DSC_3889 (2).JPG
    562.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_3879 (2).JPG
    DSC_3879 (2).JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 14
1. An apalis. Maybe immature chestnut-throated apalis. No idea.
2. African thrush presumably.
3. I guess more likely to be northern black flycatcher than dusky tit.
4. Brown-crowned tchagra (black border to brown crown-stripe).
5. Options: brimstone canary, yellow-fronted canary, yellow-crowned canary. Got any more photos?
6. A sunbird. :)
7. A flycatcher.
8. Bronze sunbird.
9. A sunbird.
10. Maybe streaky seedeater.
11-12. Looks like a stonechat in the wrong habitat :unsure:
13. A (small-looking) honeyguide. I guess Willcock's honeyguide or least honeyguide are most likely.
14. Silverbird.
15. Dark chanting-goshawk (I'm guessing too chunky for Gabar goshawk).

Last edited:
1. White-chinned prinia
2. Olive thrush
3. Northern black flycatcher
4. Brown-crowned tchagra
5. Yellow-fronted canary

7. African dusky flycatcher
8. Agree

Last edited:
9. Female bronze sunbird
10-12. Agree
13. Dwarf honeyguide, I think. Can't see loral spots but these are often invisible anyway. Jizz & bill best for this suggest
14-15. Agree

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, #13 the exact location is Lake Bunyonyi, -1.2878941464070153, 29.91451610826711

If I was going to guess, it would be an immature lesser honeyguide. I looked through the other photos and no loral spot or malar stripe in any.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, #13 the exact location is Lake Bunyonyi, -1.2878941464070153, 29.91451610826711

If I was going to guess, it would be an immature lesser honeyguide. I looked through the other photos and no loral spot or malar stripe in any.
Given the habitat that's probably the only option. Doesn't look much like that species, but it's only one photo. Pity we can't see the undertail.

Best picture of undertail, I don't know if it helps.
Hmm well undertail pattern looks completely different to that in Fanshawe 1st Ed. But ebird "headline" photos suggest it's OK and book wrong [see the "u"-shaped black marks on the undertail and how those marks relate to the terminal band [which we can't really see here]]. This photo looks more like lesser: get impression of vague dark grey malar + pinkish lower bill base, for example

It seems to have been the experience through several different threads that viewing on different devices isn't the basic cause: groups of many photos start off in one order, and - hey presto - a short time later the order has changed. The order of the group in this thread is now radically different from the order when I first commented.
If the problem is that there's a threshold number of photos above which consistent performance can't be relied on, there should be an automatic rejection of photos posted above that limit. Posters could then post a 2nd batch of photos in a 2nd comment - etc. We would then all know where we are - without anyone having to think/do/remember any rules (because experience demonstrates that people ignore rules unless they are the intuitively obvious thing to do in any case).

It seems to have been the experience through several different threads that viewing on different devices isn't the basic cause: groups of many photos start off in one order, and - hey presto - a short time later the order has changed. The order of the group in this thread is now radically different from the order when I first commented.
If the problem is that there's a threshold number of photos above which consistent performance can't be relied on, there should be an automatic rejection of photos posted above that limit. Posters could then post a 2nd batch of photos in a 2nd comment - etc. We would then all know where we are - without anyone having to think/do/remember any rules (because experience demonstrates that people ignore rules unless they are the intuitively obvious thing to do in any case).
There used to be a max of five pics per post or was it three (?), before the redesign.

...viewing on different devices isn't the basic cause...
Not really what I meant and we can't tell without seeing the source code. I meant that it's difficult to design something right which will work on all devices.

Either way, suggest best approach is rename as I say. Relying on implicit information (in this case order) is risky at the best of times

If location is same, suggest most likely match for original no. 6., the dark female sunbird is northern double-collared.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back