• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sexy new camera (1 Viewer)

pleonard

well - that's what I need... didn't get much response on the other forum, so resorting to using sex to get people's attention I'm afraid...

I'm after a new digital compact camera which a good macro function that will also be good for occasional digiscoping with my Swarovski ATS65 HD with 20-60 zoom eyepiece.

I know nothing about what's available, and I'm never going to be a major league digiscoper, but would really appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Pete :t:

A second hand Contax SL300 or Kyocera SL400 would be ideal. Or if you don't mind bulky a secondhand NIkon 990,995,4500. Not sure what the lastest new choices are though.

Mark

Deja-vu said:
Or if you don't mind bulky a secondhand NIkon ... 995
Mark

That's what I've just done. With remote cable, dca adapter, a few spare batteries and memory cards, eagle-eye bracket, a monitor shade and a second-hand top quality padded case the whole lot still came in under £200. Long live bidnip!

Take a look at Fuji F30 - out in a week or two. 3200 ISO (and usable at 1600). F11 (previous cam) has its digiscoping champions.

Sean

pleonard said:
I'm after a new digital compact camera which a good macro function that will also be good for occasional digiscoping with my Swarovski ATS65 HD with 20-60 zoom eyepiece.
Pete,

Sex always seems to work... :t:

Also take a look at the Nikon Coolpix P3 or P4. They both have optical image stabilization, which makes it easier (possible) to digiscope handheld. The P3/4 also has a large diameter objective which may be helpful in centering the camera to the eyepiece.

I would have recommended the image stabilized Canon Ixus or Panasonic (FX01), but their macro performance is not as good as with Nikons.

Good luck,

Ilkka

Canon A95

Hi
I have been using the A95 for about a year. I use Swarovski optics, EL 10x42 and the HD65 scope with the 20-60 eyepiece. I have been relatively pleased with this camera except for the focus which I find to be fairly slow and a bit unpredictable. My previous camera was a Nikon 880 and it focused much better. Here is a picture of my homemade binocular setup and some sample shots. I use the Swarovski camera adapter for the scope.

Don Sutherland

Attachments

• A95-to-Binos.jpg
    A95-to-Binos.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Altamira-&-Hooded.jpg
    Altamira-&-Hooded.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 128
  • caracara.jpg
    caracara.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 113
  • clapper-rail-3.jpg
    clapper-rail-3.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 116
  • gray-crowned-yellowthroat-3.jpg
    gray-crowned-yellowthroat-3.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 141
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back