• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shanghai Perambulations (1 Viewer)

Wait. There's a branch in the way? You'll have to delete those shots ;)

Seriously, great pics, Kevin.

JH

The preferred option in these parts is to delete the branch, throw litter all over the place and depart having 'nailed' the shot I understand...

:t:

I'm sure the Brown-breasted gave some full frame shots, one of the brave flycatchers giving dare-devil stunts during hunts. Glad you got the male JPF. Missed the high time of the migration day. :-(

'Lord of the Flies'

It will come as a big surprise that Mark & I attacked the usual haunts and after a very quiet start it turned into a pretty good day ! A 'Lord of the Flies' day indeed with 8 species recorded.

That said I may not be making the trip out to XYS that often after May and may look further afield for my jollies !

Maybe 3-4 species of Leaf Warbler still be IDed and added to this list.

61-65 species (including said warblers).

Amur Falcon (x2)
Asian Brown Flycatcher
Asian Paradise Flycatcher (1x F)
Barn Swallow
BCN Heron
Black Billed Magpie (x2)
Black Bittern (x1 BIF)
Black Crowned Night Heron
Black Drongo (x1)
Black Faced Bunting (x1)
Blackbird
Blue Rock Thrush (numerous)
Brown Shrike (numerous)
Brownish-flanked Bush Warbler (1 heard - I'm assuming the same one that has been there for the past 6 weeks)
Cattle Egret (ca. 10)
Chinese Bulbul
Chinese Pond Heron
Chinese Sparrowhawk (x2)
Common Kingfisher (x2)
Common Pheasant (one seen by Mark)
Common Snipe
Common Sandpiper (assumed)
Crested Myna
Cuckoo (spp)
Cuckoo (Eurasian x1)
Dark Sided Flycatcher
Eastern Crowned Warbler
Great Egret
Greenshank
Grey Heron (x2)
Grey Streaked Flycatcher
Grey Wagtail
Japanese Paradise Flycatcher (2xM & 2xF)
Japanese White-eye
Japanese Yellow Bunting (x3)
Little Egret
Little Grebe
Little Ringed Plover
Long Tailed Shrike
Manchurian Bush Warbler
Mongolian Gull (x3)
Mugimaki Flycatcher (1x F)
Narcissus Flycatcher
Oriental Reed Warbler
Plain Prinia
Red Rumped Swallow
Reed Parrotbills
Sand Martin
Sharp Tailed Sandpiper (x1)
Spotted Dove
Striated Heron (x1)
Tatler (x2)
Terek's Sandpiper (x1)
Thrush (spp)
Tree Sparrow
Vinous Throated Parrotbills
White Cheeked Starling
White Wagtail
Yellow Bittern (x3)
Yellow Rumped Flycatcher (one male)
Zitting Cisticola

If I have forgotten anything Mark will remind me !

Last edited:
A quality list Kevin - any pix?

Migration has just about run its course down here, with only the odd bittern or tern a possbility to keep things interesting.

Cheers
Mike

The promised pics ;)

Confirmation of the warbler ID would be appreciated !

Attachments

• Warbler%20TBC%20-%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    Warbler%20TBC%20-%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Tatler%20-%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    Tatler%20-%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Narcissus%20Flycatcher%20%28Male%20Moulting%29%20%231%20-%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    Narcissus%20Flycatcher%20%28Male%20Moulting%29%20%231%20-%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Japanese%20Paradise%20Flycatcher%20%231%20-%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    Japanese%20Paradise%20Flycatcher%20%231%20-%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Japanese%20Yellow%20Bunting%20%231-X2.jpg
    Japanese%20Yellow%20Bunting%20%231-X2.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 33
Hengsha Island - Cloud Cuckoo Land !

Sunday I met Dev at the metro and we were immediately off to try out a new site (for me, Dev having been here once before). It was cloudy and dull with the promise of rain but weather forecasts said not before 19.00 - in the end it started around 18.00 which we were happy with !

Hengsha Island is a detour off the bridge from Shanghai to Chongming Island, going through the developed Changxing island and picking up the car ferry to Hengsha (a short 5-6 min trip across the channel between the islands). The island has a seawall road that encompasses the whole island (an off the top of my head guess of maybe 50-60kms of seawall) with numerous areas of land reclamation (one plot we saw covered around 50 kms2). There are however huge areas of reed beds (with far more lakes and ponds than in Nan Hui, one lake covering maybe 5-6 sq.kms), some mudflats and internally (at least according to the map) some small wooded areas (not explored).

Our biggest surprise (apart from the star of the show), was the number of cuckoos. They were everywhere ! We must have had at least 30 sightings and there were plenty of unseen calls too. Difficult to ascertain how many of these were the same birds we were seeing but since we were moving around and stopping the car now and again to get out and roam around then there must have been at least 15 birds (often seen in twos and once three together). Cloud Cuckoo-land indeed :D

Probably the biggest disappointments of the day were the lack of waders (tide was high), lack of warblers, buntings and not a single raptor). Difficult to call this day anything except a happy success story though !

The species list below covers Hengsha unless you see H & NH (Hengsha & Nan Hui) or just NH.

47-49 species.

Asian Paradise Flycatcher (Female - assumed same one as last week) (NH)
Barn Swallow
Black Bittern (x1 BIF)
Cattle Egret (numerous)
Chinese Bulbul
Chinese Egret (x1 : bright yellow bill, yellow feet, plumes)
Chinese Pond Heron
Common Kingfisher (x2) (H & NH)
Common Sandpiper
Coot
Crested Myna
Cuckoo (Eurasian - seen & heard clearly)
Eurasian Bittern (2)
Great Crested Grebe (3 adults and 3 large chicks) (NH)
Great Egret
Grey Heron (H & NH)
Grey Plover (1)
Intermediate Egret
Kentish Plover
Little Egret
Little Grebe
Little Ringed Plover
Long Tailed Shrike
Manchurian Bush Warbler (numerous)
Moorhen
Oriental Cuckoo (seen & alarm call heard clearly - confirmed on Xeno Canto)
Oriental Reed Warbler (numerous)
Pacific Swift
Pheasant Tailed Jacana (juvenile male in H and full adult male in NH).
Plain Prinia
Purple Heron (could have been the same bird or could have been 2 or 3)
Red Rumped Swallow
Reed Parrotbills (NH)
Sand Martin
Skylark (spp) (NH)
Spotted Dove
Terek Sandpiper (x6)
Tree Sparrow
Vinous Throated Parrotbills (NH)
Warbler (spp - large)(NH)
Whiskered Tern
White Cheeked Starling (x3 NH)
White Wagtail
Wood Sandpiper (1)
Yellow Bittern (numerous)
Zitting Cisticola (numerous)

Still have to ID two Swifts/Swallows and one other bird seen but not photographed.

Last edited:
One's first adult jacana is always a moment to savour - congratulations!

Cheers
Mike

Thanks !

It was indeed Mike (even the Juve had the long tail). Very pleased. We were a bit far away (50-60m for the adult) and though we tried to sneak closer it took off when we reached 30m before we could get shots.

Hi Kevin, the grebe was very far to conclude the ID, let's say the little grebe gets the benefit of doubt. Our swift is the Pacific Swift.

Thanks Dev !

A few pics from last week.

Attachments

• Pheasant%20Tailed%20Jacana%20%28Juvenile%29%20-%20Hensha%20Island%2C%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    Pheasant%20Tailed%20Jacana%20%28Juvenile%29%20-%20Hensha%20Island%2C%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Great%20Crested%20Grebe%20-%20Nan%20Hui%2C%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    Great%20Crested%20Grebe%20-%20Nan%20Hui%2C%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Purple%20Heron%20-%20Hengsha%20Island%2C%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    Purple%20Heron%20-%20Hengsha%20Island%2C%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 18
  • Wood%20Sandpiper%20-%20Hengsha%20Island%2C%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    Wood%20Sandpiper%20-%20Hengsha%20Island%2C%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Little%20Egret%20-%20Nan%20Hui%2C%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    Little%20Egret%20-%20Nan%20Hui%2C%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 16
Binjiang Forest Park & Gongching Park

As the weather was better yesterday (no rain), and I was birding alone, I decided to try out a couple of Shanghai's parks located in the North of the city.

After arriving at the lovely Binjiang Forest Park at 06.30 I was dismayed to find out that the gates don't open until 08.00 - despite there being a supervisor and guards on duty, this really seems contrary to most parks in Shanghai (China ?) which open up for local residents to use for early morning activities.

A quick 20 mins drive down to Gongching Park though and at 07.00 I was walking around the very crowded park. There were 200-300 people practicing Tai Chi in one square and all over the park there were people ballroom dancing to music blaring from loudspeakers or radio cassettes or dancing to latin music or beating drums for rhythm, sword dancing, fan dancing, strumming violins or playing flutes, maybe a hunded people were fishing and others taking photos of flowers and/or each other with flowers, teams of park employees were cleaning algae off of the (dirty looking) water .. and Tai Chi 'masters' were everywhere teaching their students in small groups. I counted at least 1,000 people in the park !

It didn't take long to decide this park wasn't for me and after a couple of hours it was back up to Binjiang Forest Park (via a detour of an hour and a couple of trips across the river as Shanghai's signposting lived up to it's reputation - nothing to do with my navigating you understand) ;)

Binjiang Forest Park is really lovely, meticulously maintained (as most parks are in Shanghai) there are more flowers, a wider variety of trees and shrubs and far more (and much cleaner) water in the form of ponds of varying sizes. The Eastern side of the park also has you walking along the breakwater at the mouth of the Yangtze.

The highlights were following the calls of, and finding, an Indian Cuckoo high up, I closed to within 30m but then having an open space to cross, the cuckoo took flight. I could hear at least 3 Indian Cuckoos for the whole time I was in the park. I took a couple of recordings to go with the photos.
I aslo sat and watched a Siberian Yellow Weasel running across the path and jumping up and down in the grass ... a Bulbul in the path attracted it's attention but it didn't get near !

However 3 hours was enough, bird life was sparse (though I saw only about 20-30 people in those 3 hrs) and to satisfy my craving I drove the hour down to Nan Hui (avoiding the horrendously pitted G15-01, which is intent on destroying the suspension of as many vehicles as possible, and taking the excellent S2 instead, though adding 15kms to the journey) to check out the favoured massive reed beds and the Magic Car Park.

At one time, sitting in my car on one of the small tracks, I could hear a Eurasian Cuckoo calling but couldn't figure out where the calls were coming from, until I drove forward 10 metres and sent TWO cuckoos, both perched on signposts on either side of the track (about 10m apart) and not 20m in front of me, in flight and away.

The Great Crested Grebes were out in force, I counted 7 adults and 4 chicks.

It was a day for Drongos though with first an Ashy Drongo doing it's finest impression of a Flycatcher and then a pair of Black Drongos sat posing for shots from the car. Finally as my ISO headed north to 8,000 at 1/320 and wide open at f2.8 I 'chased' a Spangled Drongo slowly around the car park as he objected to my car getting 'too' close (within 15m).

The species list below covers both parks and Nan Hui (BFP, GP & NH) no designation means seen in all locations.

35 species.

Azure Winged Magpie (GP)
Barn Swallow
Blackbirds (GP & BFP)
Chinese Bulbul
Chinese Grosbeak (GP)
Coot (BFP and NH)
Crested Myna
Cuckoo (at least 4 of which 2 x Eurasian were seen & heard clearly) (NH)
Cuckoo (Indian - seen and call recorded) (BFP)
Drongo - Black (pair) (NH)
Drongo - Ashy (1) (NH)
Drongo - Spangled (1) (NH)
Great Crested Grebe (7 adults and 4 large chicks) (NH)
Great Tit (Eastern) (BFP & GP)
Grey Heron (NH)
Grey Streaked Flycatcher (NH)
Intermediate Egret (NH)
Little Egret
Little Grebe
Long Tailed Shrike
Manchurian Bush Warbler (BFP & NH)
Moorhen
Oriental Reed Warbler (numerous) (NH)
Plain Prinia (NH)
Red Billed Blue Magpie (GP & BFP)
Red Billed Starling (GP)
Spotted Dove
Tern (spp) (large, white & black below and black above) (NH)
Tree Sparrow
Vinous Throated Parrotbills (NH)
White Cheeked Starling (GP)
White Wagtail (NH)
Yellow Bittern (NH & BFP flying up the river)
Zitting Cisticola (numerous)

Last edited:
Spangled Drongo!!! Beauty. I believe the tern is a "Whiskered Tern" in breeding plumage. Congrats on the "Drongo Unchained".

Ha ha- thanks Dev.

A few pics from Monday including one beautiful but unidentified bird ;)

Spangled is a tight crop taken in very little light.

I also forgot to add 3 Hwameis to the list above (all in Binjiang Forest Park).

Attachments

• Spangled%20Drongo%20-%20Nan%20Hui%2C%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    Spangled%20Drongo%20-%20Nan%20Hui%2C%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Black%20Drongo%20-%20Nan%20Hui%2C%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    Black%20Drongo%20-%20Nan%20Hui%2C%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 22
  • Great%20Crested%20Grebes%20-%20Nan%20Hui%2C%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    Great%20Crested%20Grebes%20-%20Nan%20Hui%2C%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Bride%20-%20June%202013-X2.jpg
    Bride%20-%20June%202013-X2.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Siberian%20Yellow%20Weasel%20-%20Binjiang%20Forest%20Park%2C%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    Siberian%20Yellow%20Weasel%20-%20Binjiang%20Forest%20Park%2C%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back