• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shanghai Perambulations (1 Viewer)

Tern 1 is Little tern and Tern 2 is probably a Juv. Whiskered Tern.

Yellow-rumped Flycatcher is so gorgeous. Do you want me to post how you got that golden plover ;-)

Tern 1 is Little tern and Tern 2 is probably a Juv. Whiskered Tern.

Yellow-rumped Flycatcher is so gorgeous. Do you want me to post how you got that golden plover ;-)

Thanks Dev ! Ha ha - can if you like. I'm a little disapointed I didn't get sharper shots, it was very hot at the time and I think the heat waves affected the shots, even at just 20-30m.

Last weekend I took a trip to Xuanzhong Monastery in Jiaocheng, nr. Tai Yuan with the intention of adding the Brown Eared Pheasant, Long Tailed Rosefinches and Nutcrackers (amongst others) to my China List.

Full report to follow but here's the first shot I've processed :

1/1600, f5.6, ISO 8,000, 600mm.

Attachments

• Brown%20Eared%20Pheasant%20%231a-X2.jpg
    Brown%20Eared%20Pheasant%20%231a-X2.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 33
Thanks Mike & Jeff !

Still confirming IDs before I put up the write-up.

I didn't see any chicks Dev. I saw 6 BEPs down in the valley the first day and 4 up on the mountain ridge the 2nd day.

Zhang Lin - please find 2nd shot of the Claudia's attached here. Sorry I don't have a good shot of one of them in profile.

Attachments

• Claudia%27s%20Warbler%20-%20Nanhui-XL.jpg
    Claudia%27s%20Warbler%20-%20Nanhui-XL.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 40
A run down to the usual XYS and Nan Hui with Dev. last weekend produced a plethora of flycatchers as migration looks to be really gearing up !

There was however a shocking lack of raptors (zero) seen but was otherwise a successful day and a welcome return to form, worth the snooze inducing return trip over the 32km long bridge, of the Isle spots and the Magic Car Park etc.

Note that security seems to have been ramped up and access to some sites forbidden (we later heard from the Chinese togs in the Magic CP of birders/togs being denied access to the Rubbish Dump (there seems to be a sign up forbidding this activity) and it took me a couple of minutes of persuasive chatter to get past the guard to the Oasis.

I suppose the highlight of the day came in the form of our discovery of a new species, we have named it the Pitta Shrike) ! A strange bird shot out from the grass bank as we were driving along the seafront in Nan Hui. Virtually no tail and an upright stance on landing … Pitta (remembering it was this time last year we saw the Fairy Pitta around here) ! But no, there was no flash of mesmerising brilliant colour and we just weren’t that lucky ☺
An unfortunate Long Tailed Shrike had somehow (birth defect ?) become a Tail-less Shrike. It seemed to be coping pretty well with it’s defect though.

47 species (+ some warblers awaiting ID).
(I am very poor on waders so Dev knows the species and numbers far better than I) !

Bittern, Yellow (1)
Bulbul, Chinese
Bunting, Meadow (<10)
Bunting, Tristram's (ca. 5-6)
Coot (<10)
Cuckoo-Shrike, Black-winged(1)
Curlew (Eastern)
Curlew (Eurasian)
Dollarbird (3)
Dove, Spotted (<10)
Dove, Turtle (3)
Egret, Great (1)
Egret, Little (<30)
Flycatcher, Asian Brown (<20)
Flycatcher, Blue & White (<10, M&F)
Flycatcher, Dark Side (<10)
Flycatcher, Grey Streaked (>20)
Flycatcher, Japanese Paradise (ca. 6 all female bar one juvenile male)
Flycatcher, Yellow Rumped (one female)
Godwit, Black Tailed
Gull, Black Tailed (<30) (1 adult and the rest juveniles)
Heron, Striated (x2)
Kingfisher, Common (1)
Myna, Crested (<10)
Nightjar, Grey (1 – assumed, we flushed it 3-4 times)
Plover, Greater Sand
Reed Warbler, Oriental (a couple seen and many heard)
Robin, Siberian Blue (ca. 20 M&F)
Sandpiper, Common
Sandpiper, Terek
Shrike, Brown (>50)
Shrike, Long Tailed (>20)
Stint, Red-necked
Stonechat (<6, all female or juveniles)
Swallow, Barn (numerous)
Tattler, Grey-tailed
Tern, Whiskered (1 confirmed)
Tern, Gull Billed (1 confirmed)
Terns (sp. In small flocks of 2 to 10 birds)
Thrush, Blue Rock (3)
Tit, Great (1, Eastern)
Wagtail, White (<5)
Wagtail, Yellow (assumed all : at least 5,000 + flock in flight. Which had Dev oohing and aahing for at least 10 mins :D )
Warbler, Arctic (<5)
Warbler, Eastern Crowned (ca. 20)
Warbler, Grasshopper (sp. 2, in different locations)

Also :
A fellow expat birder had a Siberian Thrush & 3 Chinese Egrets in Nan Hui (as well as more male JP Flycatchers) and we also saw shots of a Eurasian Wryneck from the togs in the Magic CP.
Possible Pipit flock
Reed Parrotbills (heard)
Vinous Throated Parrotbills (heard)
Nothing but Egrets on the Turf Fields

Attachments

• Grey%20Streaked%20Flycatcher%20%231-X2.jpg
    Grey%20Streaked%20Flycatcher%20%231-X2.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Dark%20Sided%20Flycatcher%20%232-X2.jpg
    Dark%20Sided%20Flycatcher%20%232-X2.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Dark%20Sided%20Flycatcher%20%231-X2.jpg
    Dark%20Sided%20Flycatcher%20%231-X2.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Grey%20Streaked%20Flycatcher%20%234-X2.jpg
    Grey%20Streaked%20Flycatcher%20%234-X2.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Grey%20Streaked%20Flycatcher%20%233-X2.jpg
    Grey%20Streaked%20Flycatcher%20%233-X2.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 21
A few shots of the Japanese Paradise Flycatcher - so no males ! And the Siberian Blue Robin.

Attachments

• Japanese%20Paradise%20Flycatcher%20%28F%29%20%234-X2.jpg
    Japanese%20Paradise%20Flycatcher%20%28F%29%20%234-X2.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Japanese%20Paradise%20Flycatcher%20%20%28F%29%20%232-X2.jpg
    Japanese%20Paradise%20Flycatcher%20%20%28F%29%20%232-X2.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 26
  • Japanese%20Paradise%20Flycatcher%20%20%28F%29%20%231-X2.jpg
    Japanese%20Paradise%20Flycatcher%20%20%28F%29%20%231-X2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Siberian%20Blue%20Robin%20%28M%29%20%231-X2.jpg
    Siberian%20Blue%20Robin%20%28M%29%20%231-X2.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Siberian%20Blue%20Robin%20%28M%29%20%232-X2.jpg
    Siberian%20Blue%20Robin%20%28M%29%20%232-X2.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 30
A little walk around the compound where I live suburban Shanghai this afternoon produced more than I expected, 16 species (once I've confirmed the warblers) with the very surprising highlight being a Rufous Tailed Robin !!

Blackbird (<10)
Bulbul, Chinese (>50)
Dove, Spotted (>30)
Egret, Little (1)
Flycatcher, Dark-Sided (1)
Grosbeak (1)
Heron, BCN (juve)(1)
Hoopoe (1)
Magpie-Robin (2)
Robin, Rufous Tailed (1)
Shrike, Long Tailed (<10)
Sparrow, Tree (<50)
Tit, Great (1 seen, poss. 2-3 more)
Wagtail, White (4-5)
Warbler, Arctic (5-6)
Warbler (sp.)

And a possible Asian Paradise Flycatcher (F) - to be confirmed though. I need to check Xeno-Canto for the call as I have only a very blurred photo showing a full grey breast and a buff (to and including the vent) belly.

Attachments

• Rufous%20Tailed%20Robin-XL.jpg
    Rufous%20Tailed%20Robin-XL.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Kevin

I think your Robin is Siberian Blue Robin. Mid-September would be rather early for Rufous-tailed and some the juvenile Sibes can be pretty rufous. This is one thta has tripped me up in the past, but a check of some images shows in particular that the underpart scaling on Rufous-tailed Robin is usually greyer, while your bird looks typical of Sibe Blue Robin.

Do you have any more pix of it?

Cheers
Mike

Kevin

I think your Robin is Siberian Blue Robin. Mid-September would be rather early for Rufous-tailed and some the juvenile Sibes can be pretty rufous. This is one thta has tripped me up in the past, but a check of some images shows in particular that the underpart scaling on Rufous-tailed Robin is usually greyer, while your bird looks typical of Sibe Blue Robin.

Do you have any more pix of it?

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike. I had considered a female/juvenile Sibe Blue but dismissed it for a number of reasons. Some to do with the features and others the location. I've done some more research based on your suspicions though !

This bird was in almost the exact same place as I saw one last year, in the bushes that back on to a garden next to the canal, obviously a robin hotspot :)

In 2 hours birding the compound this is the only robin I saw, we have seen a lot of Sibe Blues over the past 2 weeks and all are in small flocks, where we have seen one we have seen others; male, female and juveniles (which look very different to this bird), both on XYS and Nan Hui, but I haven't seen any SBRs this far inland yet and I'm guessing it would be unlikely for a juvenile to be alone in this location and not have followed the flock ?

Unfortunately I don't have any other shots, the bird popped up just 4-5m away, spotted me immediately and was off over the wall into the garden. Just this snapshot, but I can say, and what you can't easily identify from this shot but can just about see, is how rufous the tail is, not something I have noticed in SBRs, juvenile or adults.

Additionally the scaling on the breast and white belly is a replica of the scaling & belly on the bird in MacKinnons (and Brazil's) and this bird also has the same little black band that more visibly extends behind the eye (than in front) in the Rufous Tailed but is absent in the Sibe Blue. The wing position when folded also seems to be more RTR-like than the Sibe Blue which seems to fold flat.

There is no white throat patch and the legs are very bright pink, far more so than the SBR and (from research) the SBR juvenile (more greyish than pink). This bird was silent for the whole 15-20 mins I waited there (the SBRs we have seen this year are frequently making that little clucking call).

There was bright sunlight - which may also be contributing to this 'golden glow' (as does my processing as I tend to over-saturate !) because even though I have been through all the IBC/OBC shots of both SBR and RTR but they only serve to confuse me further since neither look exactly like this bird :)

Is this info any help ?

Yesterday Dev & I motored on down to Little Yangshan Island (XYS), checked out the Turf Fields (dead) and the Magic Car Park and Reed Beds of Nan Hui. This is our usual full birding day and about a 350 klms round trip from home for me. A lovely day photographically (bright with a few clouds) and temperature-wise in Nan Hui, 27-31C (after lunch) but just a little too warm, 31-35C, on Yangshan in the morning.

XYS turned out to be a major disappointment, after the excitement of last week, with the Rubbish Dump area producing very very little, as an indication on a walk up the path to the tunnel, & back, I saw only 2 Bulbuls ! Eventually we found one tree with half a dozen warblers and there were some Meadow Buntings down below …. but that was pretty much it.

Over to the Magic Valley and there were more birds here, no doubt because it was more sheltered. Mostly flycatchers but the highlights being 2 cuckoos, a Lesser Coucal, the Grey Nightjar still hanging out here (and still averse to having it’s photo taken !) and a Lifer for Dev and I in the form of a much smaller Lesser Cuckoo (pic attached), barely bigger than a large Dusky thrush !

After checking the weather reports again I’ve a feeling the very fresh (20kph+) Easterly blowing in from the sea may have had a lot to do with it as birds would have had to have fought the wind for 30+kms just to reach the islands.

Nan Hui Magic CP didn’t produce much but there were lots of flycatchers and both a female and a splendid juvenile male were resting up here. Lots of terns were on the move over the reed-beds, shrimp ponds and small lakes. The highlight of the Nan Hui visit though came close to dusk when we went to check out the Reed Parrotbill (heard not seen) haunts and ended up on the reed bed boardwalk (now without much in the way of reed-beds in this area but after rain it is a swampy, grassy, area with one or two largish wader-depth patches of water and some irrigation canals).

There we found at least hundreds, if not thousands, of small waders, egrets and a few ducks. Small waders, Snipe and Sandpipers, constantly being flushed 5-10m from us as we walked the boardwalk hoping to reach the viewing hut (but the ca. 1km long boardwalk has been destroyed just 50m short of the hut). We had been alerted by a Marsh Harrier (our first raptor of the Autumn in over 20 hours of raptor-less birding of XYS and Nan Hui) aggressively hunting the vicinity & flushing small clouds of waders & egrets. A fine end to what turned out to be a very decent day indeed after the shock of the very quiet XYS Rubbish Dump.

Note the file names of the attached pics may not correspond to the actual bird as I forgot to change a couple after exporting :eek!:

#2 shows the swampy ground at dusk.
#4 shows the tailless LT Shrike seen again this week in the same spot (or 'Pitta Shrike' for short) ;) The bird seems to be surviving well despite it's handicap and seems well fed and able to fly without difficulty.
#5 needs an ID please !

65 species (Dev knows the wader numbers since he ID’d them) !

Bittern, Yellow (1)
Bulbul, Chinese (numerous)
Bunting, Meadow (<10)
Bunting (sp.)
Coot (3)
Coucal, Lesser (2)
Cuckoo, (sp. Eurasian/Oriental - 2)
Cuckoo, Lesser (1)
Curlew, Eurasian
Dove, Spotted
Duck, Mallard (3)
Duck, Spot Billed (10)
Egret, Cattle (<10)
Egret, Little (numerous, in the hundreds)
Flycatcher, Asian Brown (<20)
Flycatcher, Blue & White (M&F)
Flycatcher, Dark Side (<10)
Flycatcher, Grey Streaked (<20)
Flycatcher, Japanese Paradise (one female and one juvenile male)
Flycatcher, Yellow Rumped (1 female)
Godwit, Black-tailed (>20)
Grebe, Great Crested (2)
Grebe, Little (3)
Greenshank, Common
Gull, Black-tailed
Heron, Black-crowned Night (300-500, at dusk it was a procession) !
Heron, Chinese Pond (<5)
Heron, Grey (>10)
Heron, Purple
Marsh Harrier, Eurasian (1)
Myna, Crested (3)
Nightjar, Grey (1 – assumed same one as last week, same location)
Parrotbill, Vinous Throated (small flock)
Plover, Kentish
Plover, Little Ringed
Prinia, Plain (3 plus others heard)
Robin, Siberian Blue (ca. 6-7 M, F and Juveniles)
Ruff
Sand Martin (over Reedbeds)
Sandpiper, Common
Sandpiper, Green
Sandpiper, Marsh
Sandpiper, Sharp-tailed
Sandpiper, Terek
Sandpiper, Wood (2-3)
Shrike, Brown (>50)
Shrike, Long Tailed (100+)
Snipe, Common (assumed)(numerous – see shot attached)
Stint, Long-toed (numerous)
Stint, Red-necked
Swallow, Barn (numerous)
Sparrow, Tree
Tern, Gull Billed (ca. 6)
Tern, Little (2)
Tern, Whiskered (ca. 10)
Tern, White-winged (ca. 6)
Tern, (sp.) (ca. 50-70 in several small flocks)
Thrush, Blue Rock (3)
Tit, (Eastern)(3-4)
Turnstone, Ruddy (1)
Warbler, Arctic (<5)
Warbler, Claudia's (1) (flicking wings)
Warbler, Eastern Crowned (<15)
Warbler, Pallas’ (2-3)
Wagtail, White (>10)
Wagtail, Yellow (thousands juveniles)
Whimbrel (2)

Also :

Reed Parrotbills (heard not seen)
Black Naped Oriole (reportedly in the Magic CP)
Asian Stubtail (seen by another birder)
Grey Nightjar (another birder saw 4 of them)
Black Capped Kingfisher (seen by another birder)

Attachments

• Common%20Snipe%20%231-913-XL.jpg
    Common%20Snipe%20%231-913-XL.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 35
  • White%20WInged%20Terns%20%231-913-X2.jpg
    White%20WInged%20Terns%20%231-913-X2.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 37
  • White%20WInged%20Terns%20%232-913-L.jpg
    White%20WInged%20Terns%20%232-913-L.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Tailess%20LT%20Shrike-L.jpg
    Tailess%20LT%20Shrike-L.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Unknown%20%231-XL.jpg
    Unknown%20%231-XL.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back