• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebirds Today: Wisconsin Part 1 (1 Viewer)

birdman000

Hello all,

I had a good day birding today but this also brings more questions. Today I saw many shorebirds... which are all new to me.

Please forgive me if they are easy. There was just so many little birds running around! This is what I was thinking but would love to be corrected.

1. I see many Dunlins and a Black-bellied Plover. There is a bird to the left of the BBP that looks smaller and different than the dunlins.

2. ?

3. Semi-palmated Plover?

4. A dunlin at a wierd angle?

Attachments

• One.jpg
    One.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Two.jpg
    Two.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Three.jpg
    Three.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Four.jpg
    Four.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 98
There at least two 'peeps' the first pic..either Semi-P or Least..really won't attempt an ID for sure..really don't know for 2.

Sean
Hiroshima

#2 Seems to be a few peeps. very pale, which would lead me to conclude Semipalmated, but the habitat is beyond perfect for a Least. Along the coast where I live, Semis usually prefer the beaches and neighboring areas, while Least can't get enough of saltmarshes and the like. I don't know how this relates to peep preference in Wisconsin, but who knows, it may be helpful. And yes, I agree with what everyone's said one 3 and 4.

Thank you all for the help. Now hopefully when I see more little shorebirds running around I will be able to identify them myself!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back