• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebirds Today: Wisconsin Part 2 (1 Viewer)

birdman000

Here's part two:

1. A dunlin and 3 unknown birds

2. ?

3. unknown sandpiper?

4. These are obviously american white pelicans. My question is about the 2 birds on the right. They have a big bump above their beaks and was wondering if anyone knew why.

Thank so much

Attachments

• Five.jpg
    Five.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Six.jpg
    Six.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Seven.jpg
    Seven.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Eight.jpg
    Eight.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
American White Pelicans have a distinct casque on their bills. Not sure if this is sex, age or seasonally related, but its certainly normal.

The bump on the pelicans bill seems to be known as a 'keel' and is apparently seasonal being most pronounced on males in late May, thus probably acts as some kind of mate attracting feature.

The bump on the pelicans bill seems to be known as a 'keel' and is apparently seasonal being most pronounced on males in late May, thus probably acts as some kind of mate attracting feature.

Interesting. I have seen many pelicans before but mainly in the fall which would explain why I have never seen any 'keels' before.

Thanks all for looking and helping.

I agree with all, except in the first photo, the sandpiper behind the Dunlin and 3 Semis looks like a Least.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back