• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Silent Valley bird request (1 Viewer)

manky birder

hello to all, I work for gwent wildlife trust based at Silent Valley Lnr. I only started in the last few months but as a keen birder I can see the potential for the reserve and the possability that alot of stuff gets missed. Im usually working whilst on site and i dont get the time i would like to have a good look around. I was hoping that any local birders who do use the reserve as part of their patch may be able to post their sightings on this thread so i can start to build a picture of what is passing through while i am not there.
if you have any other interesting wildlife info i would love to hear about it and if its something you dont want to broadcast on the web feel free to drop in at the Environmental Resource Centre in Ebbw Vale for a chat.
cheers Tom.

ill get some sightings started.
recent (last week)
cuckoo, woodwarbler, redstart, (small pearl boardered frittilary)

Hi Tom I see this is your first post, so may I welcome you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

We've quite a few members in your area and you'll find most of them in this thread. I've been to Silent Valley (a few years ago now) and hope to get there again before too long - my brother lives in Govilon.

We do have an Opus article for the site. It could do with a bit more information added and, as a start, I'll link this thread to it.

D

I guess your Tom then??

I now live in Dorset but have spent a lot of time at that reserve over the years. In fact when in comprehensive school I did my work experience there which was probably nearly 9 or 10 years ago!

I've never seen anything out of the ordinary there. All the usual woodland species you'd expect minus Pied Flycatcher. Wood Warbler is pretty scarce there so If you've got a singing bird that would be a pretty good record. Obviously redstart tend to do pretty well up on the tramline. Winter can be good at the reserve and has always been good for Brambling. I've also had a several views of Lesser spotted woodpecker but they've not bred to my knowledge.

Am currently working and lots of official looking staff have just wandered in so better get on with some stuff!

Hi
Thanks for that, i heard wood warbler on quite a few occasions but i think it was only the one bird. i have been away for a couple of weeks but back now so i will get up to the reserve and see what i can see.

cheers

Tom

I usually get Wood Warbler just outside the reserve in the Oaks above the bypass near the roundabout.As Delia said,most of us local birders that use the reserve post our sightings on the Gwent thread.I have also set up a feeding station on an unused part of the reserve that has been going for about 4 years now.We will have to meet up sometime and I will show you where it is.

feeding station.

[.I have also set up a feeding station on an unused part of the reserve that has been going for about 4 years now.We will have to meet up sometime and I will show you where it is.[/QUOTE]

is that the feeder by the bird hide? i have had a look a couple of times on the way past but as of yet i have not had a proper chance to spend some time wating for birds to arrive.

also had Goshawk in the first clearing as you head into the reserve last week very nice to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back