• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sind Jungle Sparrow (1 Viewer)

lewis20126

I'll be in Dehli in March for a few days - I wonder if there is a nice close spot where I can see the recently colonised Sind Jungle Sparrow? Bristled Grassbird would be nice too..

Ta

alan

Any info anyone?

Getting closer to the off so bumping this up - I guess I'l have to rejoin the Oriental Bird Club e-group and ask.

ta

alan

Sorry no one got back to you Alan. How did you get on in the end?
I'm not sure myself but a few spots in northern Delhi and Sultanpur are said to have the Sind Sparrows. I'm heading out for the first time this winter and very much hoping to catch up with this species. I think the grassbird has also been seen at Sultanpur a bit? Or am I thinking of Okhla now?
Thanks. Henerz.

Got no idea on Bristled Grassbird sites near Delhi, but yes Sultanpur Jheel is (or certainly was) a site for Sind Sparrow.

Try contacting Nik on the DelhiBird Yahoo group for recent gen.

Henerz, where you going / who with? If this is your first time in India, prepare to be blown away!

Sorry no one got back to you Alan. How did you get on in the end?
I'm not sure myself but a few spots in northern Delhi and Sultanpur are said to have the Sind Sparrows. I'm heading out for the first time this winter and very much hoping to catch up with this species. I think the grassbird has also been seen at Sultanpur a bit? Or am I thinking of Okhla now?
Thanks. Henerz.

Henerz - yes I got the Sind Sparrows; excellent views and some photos in the SE corner of the reserve. I don't think the grassbird is at Sultanpur. The best world site is Kossi Tapu (Nepal) - or was - see recent floods...Great flock of 23 Indian Coursers at Sultanpur in fields about 1km west along the main road was a nice sight.

cheers, alan

Attachments

• 1-sind sparrow up.JPG
    1-sind sparrow up.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 235
Nice pic Alan, a smart bird, even showing the chestnut covert patch. Glad you connected.
I'm heading out for a month in December Bobtag and on a budget, so will be interesting to put it mildly! Yeah tis my first time as well. Heading for Corbett, Nainital, Delhi area for a bit and then catching the train to Goa. Can't wait! Any gen gratefully recieved.
Thanks. Henerz.

henerz1..the place you will be going is a dream for me..hope when you come back we will see some pictures from you and your report..if you want some information about the places you are going go the Birds of India..and click trip reports..these reports are complied by our own B.F member Sumit..a well known birder in India and even taken some pictures of rare one...his web site is also called kolkata birds..you will find it when you go to the site Birds of India..regards and enjoy...you can always p.m. him in B.F..a very helpful chap.regrds..p.s..i havent met him but but when a couple of months ago i p.med him to help a fellow B.F..which he did..:t:..he sounded a true gentleman.

I'm heading out for a month in December Bobtag and on a budget, so will be interesting to put it mildly! Yeah tis my first time as well. Heading for Corbett, Nainital, Delhi area for a bit and then catching the train to Goa. Can't wait! Any gen gratefully recieved.
Thanks. Henerz.

Hi Henerz,

Ah, you'll have a fantastic time. Just mega birding out there. Here's a few tips if I may;

- Give yourself some slack if heading up to Nanital. It has a habit of getting snowed in & blocked off (last time I was there I couldn't get to it, as the village had been snowed in for two weeks!; this was early Feb, though, so you should be OK).

- Make sure you build in some time for Sat Tal. At a lower altitude than Nanital it has a different and exciting range of species. You can now stay there, as Mohit Aggawal's company has a lodge for birders; http://www.sattalbirdinglodge.com/. I took the first photo on that page ;) of my crew as we were one of the first groups to stay after it opened; it's great to be on-site at dawn rather than having to travel down. The guys at the lodge can give you the latest gen, but the best sites are the factory fields, and the scrub behind the chai stands next to the lake. Here was had 2 species of Rubythroat (Sibe & White-tailed), 2 species of accentor, some mega thrushes including Tickles and Collared Blackbird, 7 Red-flanked Bluetails in one day and best of all a male Golden Bush Robin! Even the grounds of the lodge have birds, including Brown Wood Owl at night.

- Make time for a trip on the Chambal River when your doing the Agra/Bharatpur bit. The views of Skimmer etc are mega, plus it's good for localised species such as Sand Lark and Great Thick-Knee.

- As I said earlier, DelhiBird Yahoo group will help you with latest gen.

Cheers,

BT

Last edited:
Photos from SatTal, Feb '05

Though I'd share a few pics from SatTal, taken back in Feb '05; any excuse to go though my Indian birding pics again :t:

The Himilayan Bulbul was at the bird table in the garden of the birding lodge, which was also frequented by Russet Sparrows, Red-vented Bulbuls, flocks of Red-billed Leiothrix, tits including Green-backed and Black-throated etc...

PS - If you go, ask the guys for details of the path near the lake which holds Scaly-breased Wren-babbler (we also had Grey-sided Bush Warbler there), and also where the nearby temple is that is good for river birds (in two hours we had Crested Kingfisher, Little Forktail, Brown Dipper, both "water Redstarts" etc....)

Attachments

• Himalayan Bulbul SatTal.JPG
    Himalayan Bulbul SatTal.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Tickels Thrush SatTal.JPG
    Tickels Thrush SatTal.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 104
  • Rufous-breated Accentor SatTal.JPG
    Rufous-breated Accentor SatTal.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Golden Bush Robin SatTal.jpg
    Golden Bush Robin SatTal.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Birding SatTal.JPG
    Birding SatTal.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 118
Wow, cheers for the info BobTag. Will look into staying at the lodge but will probably not be possible. However, pre-dawn starts are my favourite! so I will be in place as things start to hot up.
Love the pics.
Only other thing I was wondering, can you get hold of jeeps pretty easily in Ramnagar to take you into the Dhikala camp? Planning to stay in the bunkhouse there for a few days.
Thanks. Henerz.

Wow, cheers for the info BobTag. Will look into staying at the lodge but will probably not be possible. However, pre-dawn starts are my favourite! so I will be in place as things start to hot up.
Love the pics.
Only other thing I was wondering, can you get hold of jeeps pretty easily in Ramnagar to take you into the Dhikala camp? Planning to stay in the bunkhouse there for a few days.
Thanks. Henerz.

No worries Henerz. Sorry, can't help with your request as I've never actually made it to Corbett yet...

Should have bumped this again for you, though, so hopefully someone might help.

Cheers, BT

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back