• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Siskins prefer niger seed! (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
Having read here that siskins are attracted to red bags of peanuts, I duly bought one and added it to the feeder pole that has proved (so far) to be squirrel proof. The siskins have completely ignored it!

Attachments

• digi1.jpg
    digi1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 210
Elizabeth

Can you tell me more about your squirrel-proof "feeder pole" as I'm currently feeding two grey squirrels quite regularly with sunflower seeds. They ignore the peanuts, oddly!

scampo said:
Elizabeth

Can you tell me more about your squirrel-proof "feeder pole" as I'm currently feeding two grey squirrels quite regularly with sunflower seeds. They ignore the peanuts, oddly!

Steve - I can't (quickly) find the thread where I posted the picture of the new feeder, so here it is again. We have had it since November, and although we regularly have 2 or more squirrels in the garden, they haven't conquered this one (yet). :eek!:

In the background you can see the bird table with the baffle - this has defeated them for 13 years. You can't get one just like this any more, but the usual suppliers of bird food etc have something similar.

Attachments

• New feeder forum.jpg
    New feeder forum.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 222
Thanks very much, Elizabeth, that looks pretty clever. shall have a good look around for something similar, or even construct one myself (doesn't look too complex). I'm always bothered about feeding squirrels because a friend has convinced me they eat more eggs and chicks than any current predator.

scampo said:
Thanks very much, Elizabeth, that looks pretty clever. shall have a good look around for something similar, or even construct one myself (doesn't look too complex). I'm always bothered about feeding squirrels because a friend has convinced me they eat more eggs and chicks than any current predator.

I hope you'll show a photo if you go for the DIY option - this sort of question tends to recur, and we really could do with a "sticky" on this topic or an FAQ section. So far we have not had a problem with squirrels and eggs/chicks in spite of having two bluetit boxes, and a successful open box for robins one year. The problem last year was a great spotted woodpecker - it took 3 of the 5 chicks in one of our bluetit boxes.

scampo said:
Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,
I recently overheard a mum or dad informing their young child that 'The squirrels won't eat the peanuts if you take the shells off'. I don't have any squirrels in my garden to test the theory, so I pass it on to you, just in case you feel you want to give it a try.

I bought one of those red bags of peanuts in the (desperate) hope of attracting Siskins.

So far, I have attracted b*****-all and will probably have to throw them away shortly.....

It is being completely ignored by everything.

Ruby said:
I bought one of those red bags of peanuts in the (desperate) hope of attracting Siskins.

So far, I have attracted b*****-all and will probably have to throw them away shortly.....

It is being completely ignored by everything.

Why not empty them out and scatter them on the ground - or will this just be squirrel fodder then? I use the food processor to chop peanuts, as they are one of the ingredients in the fat ball mixture I make regularly. Last year I only had peanuts in the usual metal mesh feeders, and that is what the siskins used. My peanut feeders are not being used much at the moment - the great spotted woodpecker comes down every so often and has a good tuck-in.

Mike D said:
Hi Elizabeth,
I recently overheard a mum or dad informing their young child that 'The squirrels won't eat the peanuts if you take the shells off'. I don't have any squirrels in my garden to test the theory, so I pass it on to you, just in case you feel you want to give it a try.

Did she or he mean the outer husk that contains two peanuts - I'm confused here!! The ones I buy in 25kg sacks are shelled already, of course. And if it was the brown covering on the nuts..........................!!!

Hi Elizabeth,

I find that if the peanuts are left out in the weather for a few weeks they go all black and skanky-looking - wouldn't fancy eating them myself....

Hi Ruby - in normal circumstances the peanuts don't last long enough to go horrid. For some reason they are not very popular at the moment, so I have taken in a couple of feeders, and I'm only partially filling the others.

At last - my first siskin since the summer appeared today, a little female. She perched in the lilac bush outside the kitchen window, checked out all the feeders there, and then flew over to the bushes. Hope she comes back with her mate tomorrow. I normally have one male and two females here all year round, and was beginning to think they had gone for good. When they are here, they aren't picky what sort of feeder they have, wire, red plastic, green plastic, they eat from any type.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Hi songbird - do you have niger seed for them - this is definitely their favourite right now, with the odd sunflower heart nibble.
Elizabeth - where do you get your niger seed from ? I've not been able to locate any.

Yes thanks Elizabeth - I have persisted with niger seed despite it being untouched for weeks (not the same stuff I hasten to add, keep changing it for fresh) so here's hoping - I originally did it hoping to entice a goldfinch or two, and I planted lots of teasels nearby but no luck so far. I have sunflower hearts too, in fact there isn't much I don't have! I shall keep my eyes peeled tomorrow!

(I get my niger from any of the three local petshops I go to, all of them sell it bagged for around £1 - £1.50)

Last edited:
AnnieW said:
Elizabeth - where do you get your niger seed from ? I've not been able to locate any.

I've discovered that my local pet shop sells it - but the price is ridiculous! I bought some from Garden Bird Supplies when I bought a second niger feeder and I think I shall continue using them - their carriage charge is only £2 (the lowest I've found from several mail order suppliers), and the service is excellent - they guarantee that your order will go out the same day if you order before 11am - and so far I have received everything the following day.

Incidentally, I've decided that I will stick to the Droll Yankee brand of feeders if I buy any more - they are more expensive, but the quality is really excellent.

http://www.gardenbird.com/index.htm

Now amending this, I've just had the new GBS catalogue, and carriage is £2.50 - don't know if I mis-remembered or if it has increased!

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Elizabeth - I'll give them a go. I've used Pets at Home so far, but their range is limited, and as you say pricy !!

hi, all
:clap: nice baffle for the feeder. I made one similar made out of a galvanized trash can lid and used it with mixed results. Actually had 2 squirrels that figured out that working together somehow they could manage to get to the feeder. I still don't know how they did it! Anyway, now i have a seperate feeder for them (corn on the cob) and they still raid the ground feeder, but at least they're not destroying my other feeders anymore.
As to the Niger seeds, over here in the States, they're available in every department, pet, and grocery store, even home supply stores. I have about 20 to 30 Gold Finches all day long eating me out of house and home.
Anyway, good yard birding
Gunter

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back