• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Site Information Rovaniemi, Finland (2 Viewers)

Xurek

Och aye!
Hi Everyone,

Basically I am going on a study trip to Finland for 3.5 months from September to end of December and I would really appreciate some help. I will be based in Rovaniemi in Lapland. I won't have access to my own transport but I will have non-birder friends who do over there.

I have already posted in the Finland sub-forum HERE but it's a little hidden so I thought I would post here too.

I would really appreciate information or links to:
Bird reports in the area.
Books or websites that you found useful
Any local site information especially around Rovaniemi and Kemi
Your trip reports to the area
Sites that would be worth making the extra effort to visit while I am there especially at migration time, Oulu or Kuusamo?

Thanks very much for your time.

Hi Keith thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have just actually just purchased that book a couple days ago and it is really good. There is definately a couple of sites I will try and get to somehow and it's full of interesting general info too. Unfortunately there are no sites around the Rovaniemi / Kemi area which is where I will be based most of the time.

Sam

Thank you both for your kind comments about the Crossbill Guide to Finnish Lapland (which I helped to edit). I know how much work Dirk Hilbers (the author) put into it so it is very gratifying to hear that his efforts are appreciated.

It's a good deal further north, I know, but if it's still available the 'Nature Guide to Inari Lapland & its Bird Life' (Northern Lapland Tourism Ltd - 1998) is very good although, obviously, now rather dated,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back