• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skimming Swallow. (1 Viewer)

Rob Chace

Hi all,
A shot from yesterday. One from about 150 that i binned! It just goes to show that patience does work & as said many times before, "the film is free".
Nikon D2x with Sigma 500mm f4.5 @4.5.
1/1600 sec
Aperture priority
Iso 100
Centre weighted metering
Continuous AF
Tripod mounted.
Regards Rob.

Attachments

• Swallow1.jpg
    Swallow1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 247
Rob
Beautiful shot mate, I would trade a major organ to be able to capture such sharp detail in a fast moving bird like this.

EXCELLENT :clap: :clap:

Midge

Well done!

You have created a beautiful image here, considering the fact that these beauties are incredibly fast. The exposure and detail are excellent which is difficult to achieve with the brightness of the water. Finally the reflection is spectacular!
AudreyT

Very good,Rob.I have spent hours waving the camera around trying to take a shot of these birds in action,all I have managed is a stiff neck and a painful arm!!!!.Well done.

bob hastie said:
A great capture on a difficult subject. How many of those binned shots had no bird showing at all?
Bob,
A fair few!!!!
I experimented hand holding & using a tripod to see if it made a difference. I got more birds in frame by handholding, but most had motion blur/out of focus. So i went back to the tripod & got a fair few nice shots of water & nothing else, but the ones with the birds in frame were much better quality & my arms & shoulders did not hurt as much!
Rob. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back