• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skomer trip advice (1 Viewer)

Anyone planning a day on Skomer should be aware that landing is subject to the vagaries of weather and tide conditions and should allow for this by setting aside more than one day.
It took us three attempts last year,but well worth it.
West Hook farm excellent for Camping or Caravans

Skomer

Hello, I am thinking about spending a day on Skomer hopefully end of May this year.
Can anyone suggest any good accomodation off the Island to stay for a couple of nights ?
What birds would I be likely to see that time of the year ?
Also am I correct in thinking you can't get onto Skomer on a Monday ?
I would be interested in spending the rest of the week in Wales for bird photography, don't mind travelling any ideas ? Would like to get photo's of Choughs as well.
Red Kites at Nanty Arian, sorry about spelling, has also been mentioned to me, where can I base my self accomodation wise for some great bird photography ?
Thank you very much, Geoff.

Hi Geoff

The Clock House in Marloes comes recommended. I have stayed there and found it comfortable with good food. There is a very nice pub next door as well. Alternatively there is also a Youth Hostel which a friend of mine uses for £18 per night, I suspect you feed yourself at this price. You may want to consider staying on the Island overnight which I would recommend again. Some of the best birding is early morning and evening time after all visitors have left. On some of my previous blogs on this forum is further information on this.

The sailing times listed in other posts are what can be found as advertised sailing times. I would take these with a pinch of salt. Having spent many weeks as a volunteer on the island I have known boats to leave Martins Haven much earlier than 10.00am. I strongly suggest you make enquiries even up to the night before you intend to go because they do change as has been said because of the weather. What ever the sailing time make sure you get there early because I know people have arrived thinking they have plenty of time only to find they managed to get on boat 3 instead of boat 1. Each boat is licensed to carry 50 people with a maximum of 5 boats (250 people). On, I think 3 or 4 occasions, usually height of the summer they can take 6 boats.
Below is a link to the Wildlife Trust which is loaded with information which may help as well. It has been mentioned the Island is closed on Mondays but open when it is a bank holiday Monday.

http://www.welshwildlife.org/skomer-skokholm/visiting-and-staying-on-skomer-and-skokholm/

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Hello, I am thinking about spending a day on Skomer hopefully end of May this year.
Can anyone suggest any good accomodation off the Island to stay for a couple of nights ?
What birds would I be likely to see that time of the year ?
Also am I correct in thinking you can't get onto Skomer on a Monday ?
I would be interested in spending the rest of the week in Wales for bird photography, don't mind travelling any ideas ? Would like to get photo's of Choughs as well.
Red Kites at Nanty Arian, sorry about spelling, has also been mentioned to me, where can I base my self accomodation wise for some great bird photography ?
Thank you very much, Geoff.

Ramsey Island for Choughs, boat from Porthstinian,tickets from shop in St Davids

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back