• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC 8x42: Keep or Sell? (3 Viewers)

w.travis

United States
I'm hoping some can chime in who understand where I'm coming from. I'm trying to decide if I should sell my SLC 8x42 now while it's still in perfect condition or keep it long term.

Here is the dilemma. I purchased the brand new SLC 8x42 in July this year, manufactured date 2020. It's a beautiful bin, perfection. BUT.... I'm a birder, not a bin collector. What I mean by that, is I really don't want a bin if it doesn't serve a specific purpose for my birding. The 8x format for me does not provide a specific purpose for birding, except for my car bin, an inexpensive 8x32 (that right, SLC can NOT be a car bin).

For general birding, I've used 10x for years. I bought the SLC 8x42 because I didn't have an 8x42 and I wanted to give that platform a decent test for general birding. To test it out, figured I'd get what some consider one of the best bins in the world. It really is an incredible bin. Build quality, eye cups, focuser (little stiff at first not anymore), size, weight, ergonomics, lack of CA, clarity, resolution, low light performance, and personally I really enjoy the look of it. However, after birding with it a few times in my yard and local hotspots, I'm convinced I simply miss too many small bird IDs in the distance with an 8x that I don't with my 10x, which happens to be a Tract Toric 10x42. The Toric is not a better bin than the SLC, but I miss noticeably more birds with the 8x42 SLC than I do with the 10x42 Toric.

For specialty birding I drop in magnification to 6-7x range or increase to 12x (will be trying out Sig Zulu HDX 16x42 to replace 12x) or use spotting scope.

So...
1) Do I keep the SLC forever because I think it is amazing and one of a kind, even though I have no real purpose for it?
2) Do I sell it now while it's still like new? (If I do, the finances will help fund a Sig Zulu HDX 16x42 and a Kowa Genesis 10.5x44)
3) Do I keep it for now and maybe sell it years down the road, but by then take more of a financial loss because it won't be as new?

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts and if you have been through this in your past. Do you have any regrets? Would you have made a different decision if you could do it over and why?

Thanks.

20231014_142849.jpg

I understand the feeling! I actually have quite the same.
I bought the SLC 8x42, because there wasn't 10x42's available anymore. I thought a 8x42 would be a perfect match with a 10x32. However, I always had the feeling I missed something while using 8 power. I am a 10 power person as well.

I recently bought a very nice secondhand SLC 10x42, because I still had the feeling that the SLC needed to be a 10 power.
Now I have them both and I love them both! I told myself selling the 8x42 when I have the 10x42, but it is hard for me to part with it. The 8x42 is a bit brighter, more comfortable, larger DOF, larger FOV. I too think I will regret it when I sell the 8x42's. The focuser of my 8x42 is smoother than that of my 10x42 as well. So more focusing with the 10x42 because of the lesser DOF and it's less smooth as wel. I actually prefer the 8x42 in all areas, except for the magnification :)

I am not a collecter as well, but am starting to be one I am afraid. I just love the SLC 42 so much, I want to keep them both. :)

So I say, if you can spare the money, keep it. Otherwise you will regret it :). A 8x42 is a very nice configuration for twilight/dawn, dark forests. The SLC 42's are compact and don't weight much for a 42mm.

Which binoculars do you have at the moment?

@w.travis I can see where you are coming from, I've found myself in a similar position at different times, when I had a phenomenal binocular, just like in your case, not manufactured anymore (if we don't count the Kahles sibling). Just like you, I'm no collector, so my feeling/advice echoes the one from @edwincjones If you don't use it, simply let it go. That's the way I see it (which I should apply to myself as a matter of fact! :D :D Because I'm finding difficult to sell some really nice optics that I simply don't use).

There have been times where I've sold some amazing binoculars and then regretted it. But then, think about it, binoculars are not "artisan products", like a handmade jewel or vase... they're mass produced to some extent, so chances are, if you really find yourself missing it, you are likely to buy another one in the future. In my case, I have a good example, the Zeiss FL 7x42, which offers an addictive view and some of the best "binocular experience" I've seen. I had it once but sold it... I regretted it... bought it again, but halas, it turns out that while I "feel" 7x42 is probably my favourite format (for lack of a nice range of contemporary 7x35, this is), I found I mainly used 8x32 for the sake of convenience (size and weight). So I ended up selling it again. But the memory of the 7x42 FL kept coming back... so I bought a third time, this time to decide once and for all. I kept if for many months (I don't know if it reached a year) and I discovered the simple and ugly truth: I loved it, I didn't use it. If I had endless resources, I would keep one, but I simply can't justify having such a valuable item getting no use, just for the sake of emotional attachment. So I ended up selling my third (and last) 7x42 FL. I keep missing it, but I've proven myself that it's simply not for me.

In short: sell it. If you miss it, buy it again (yes, there will be opportunities. There always are):

I understand the feeling! I actually have quite the same.
I bought the SLC 8x42, because there wasn't 10x42's available anymore. I thought a 8x42 would be a perfect match with a 10x32. However, I always had the feeling I missed something while using 8 power. I am a 10 power person as well.

I recently bought a very nice secondhand SLC 10x42, because I still had the feeling that the SLC needed to be a 10 power.
Now I have them both and I love them both! I told myself selling the 8x42 when I have the 10x42, but it is hard for me to part with it. The 8x42 is a bit brighter, more comfortable, larger DOF, larger FOV. I too think I will regret it when I sell the 8x42's. The focuser of my 8x42 is smoother than that of my 10x42 as well. So more focusing with the 10x42 because of the lesser DOF and it's less smooth as wel. I actually prefer the 8x42 in all areas, except for the magnification :)

I am not a collecter as well, but am starting to be one I am afraid. I just love the SLC 42 so much, I want to keep them both. :)

So I say, if you can spare the money, keep it. Otherwise you will regret it :). A 8x42 is a very nice configuration for twilight/dawn, dark forests. The SLC 42's are compact and don't weight much for a 42mm.

Which binoculars do you have at the moment?
Ok, so you get it! I can see where you're coming from too. I think if I was in your situation it would be much easier for me to sell the 8x42, but I could be wrong. Part of me also doesn't want to sell simply because then I won't own an 8x42 at all (but again, I don't find much practical birding use for 8x42)

Currently I own-
SLC 8x42
Leica Ultravid HD Plus 7x42
Tract Toric UHD 10x42 (use most often)
Vortex Viper HD 12x50 (considering selling)
Kowa BDII XD 6.5x32
Kowa YFII 8x30 and 6x30 (kids use these)
Sightmark Solitude XD 7x36 (for sale)
Eagle Optics SRT 8x32 (wife uses this)
Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32 (car bin)
Tract Toric UHD 27-55x80 Spotting Scope
Sig Zulu6 HDX 16x42 (on the way, may replace Viper HD 12x50)
Kowa Genesis XD 10.5x44 (plan to purchase, but since 10x is my main use magnification, I want to have a back up)

Ok maybe I am a collecter in denial lol. But really, I feel a specific birding purpose for each of those, except the SLC 8x42... but it is arguably the best one (for me Ultravid HD Plus is a toss up and Toric comes close)

I see you have the Leica Ultravid 7x42, so you already have a big exit pupil pair of binoculars. In that case there is less use for the SLC 8x42. Do you use the UHVD 7x42 more than the SLC 8x42? Even when it is just 7 times magnification?

My line up at the moment is: 10x32, 8x42, 10x42 and 12x50. If I sell the SLC 8x42, I only have bins with < 4.25 exit pupil so I keep telling myself there is a purpose for my 8x42 :).
It makes more sense selling the SLC 10x42. However, I like 10 power! Maybe I have to wait for about a year and see which one I use the least. The good think about the SLC's is that there isn't bare metal. So, they will look less used compared with some EL's. They are solid as a rock.

If you really use 10 power the most, than I see reason to sell the SLC 8x42 (and the Tract Toric 10x42?) and buying an alpha 10 power.

So I ended up selling my third (and last) 7x42 FL. I keep missing it, but I've proven myself that it's simply not for me.
How much money did you loose during the process of selling/buying 3 times? Or did you make good deals?
That is also something I am concerned about. Selling bins for a couple of hundreds less than what you have paid for and than buying the same binoculars later...
I bought and sold two new binoculars and lost too much for my liking.
Buying secondhand binoculars and selling them is probably better for your wallet.

@w.travis I can see where you are coming from, I've found myself in a similar position at different times, when I had a phenomenal binocular, just like in your case, not manufactured anymore (if we don't count the Kahles sibling). Just like you, I'm no collector, so my feeling/advice echoes the one from @edwincjones If you don't use it, simply let it go. That's the way I see it (which I should apply to myself as a matter of fact! :D :D Because I'm finding difficult to sell some really nice optics that I simply don't use).

There have been times where I've sold some amazing binoculars and then regretted it. But then, think about it, binoculars are not "artisan products", like a handmade jewel or vase... they're mass produced to some extent, so chances are, if you really find yourself missing it, you are likely to buy another one in the future. In my case, I have a good example, the Zeiss FL 7x42, which offers an addictive view and some of the best "binocular experience" I've seen. I had it once but sold it... I regretted it... bought it again, but halas, it turns out that while I "feel" 7x42 is probably my favourite format (for lack of a nice range of contemporary 7x35, this is), I found I mainly used 8x32 for the sake of convenience (size and weight). So I ended up selling it again. But the memory of the 7x42 FL kept coming back... so I bought a third time, this time to decide once and for all. I kept if for many months (I don't know if it reached a year) and I discovered the simple and ugly truth: I loved it, I didn't use it. If I had endless resources, I would keep one, but I simply can't justify having such a valuable item getting no use, just for the sake of emotional attachment. So I ended up selling my third (and last) 7x42 FL. I keep missing it, but I've proven myself that it's simply not for me.

In short: sell it. If you miss it, buy it again (yes, there will be opportunities. There always are):
Thanks for sharing this! Even though you recommend me selling, your story makes me want to keep it so I don't have to go through all that buying / selling and emotional highs and lows that I'd experience :ROFLMAO:
I see you have the Leica Ultravid 7x42, so you already have a big exit pupil pair of binoculars. In that case there is less use for the SLC 8x42. Do you use the UHVD 7x42 more than the SLC 8x42? Even when it is just 7 times magnification?

My line up at the moment is: 10x32, 8x42, 10x42 and 12x50. If I sell the SLC 8x42, I only have bins with < 4.25 exit pupil so I keep telling myself there is a purpose for my 8x42 :).
It makes more sense selling the SLC 10x42. However, I like 10 power! Maybe I have to wait for about a year and see which one I use the least. The good think about the SLC's is that there isn't bare metal. So, they will look less used compared with some EL's. They are solid as a rock.

If you really use 10 power the most, than I see reason to sell the SLC 8x42 (and the Tract Toric 10x42?) and buying an alpha 10 power.
The specific birding use for the UVHD+ 7x42 is simply pure enjoyment. I could add the SLC 8x42 for the pure enjoyment list also, but don't feel the need to have 2 bins for that purpose, and I enjoy the UVHD+ 7x42 a tad more.

Good thought on selling SLC and Toric then buying an alpha 10x. I've thought about that. Problem is I LOVE the Toric. I don't ever see myself selling it. The ergonomics of the Toric for me are the best of all the bins I have. The way it fits in my hands and where the focuser falls on my fingers is better than the SLC and UVHD+. It is also more compact than the SLC, and about the same as the UVHD+. I feel this really helps me quickly get on a bird before it moves off. I can't tell you how many birds I'm able to ID that others with me don't, when I'm using the Toric. Plus the Toric optical quality I find very good and the customer service is great. I also like supporting smaller companies.

Because of the quality of glass in the Toric, plus my liking the ergonomics better than the SLC and UVHD+, I don't think I'd want one of those in a 10x over the Toric. Not interested in Zeiss or Nikon EDG or MHG.
to the original poster: If the 10x42 format suits your birding better, why not try to part exchange your 8x42 SLC for a 10x42? You would not need the Tract nor the Kowa then.
This is a good thought, which I have considered. Discussed my thoughts above about selling the Toric. Other reason's I'm considering adding the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 are, since 10x is my go to for birding, I want to have two 10x available (one is none, two is one). I find CA bothersome, and from what I read the Genesis is one of the best (if not the best) at CA control and cost half of the "alphas".

It sounds like you prefer 10x and have absolutely no ambiguity about that....I'm the opposite, I love 7x-8x. I had no qualms about selling off the 10x and 12x binos I wasn't using. I would do the same with the SLC's.

And 8x42 is such a common, universal size. If your tastes change and you prefer lower power in the future there are a million choices at 8x42.

The same dilemma has bothered me throughout the last year. I bought an NL 8x42 one and a half years ago to fulfill my dream of owning the best birding binoculars in the world. However, soon I realized I was not using it and using my smaller binoculars instead. It is simply due to my current birding habits and full-size binoculars add too much weight. However, I was keeping it due to it's pure optical qualities and hoping to change my birding habits one day and use it more often. The other reason is I will lose some money after the resell and it is not sure for me to acquire the same model in the future due to my unstable economy. However, finally, I decided to sell it because of increasing finances. It will appear in the classified section soon. In conclusion, as others said, better you sell it if you have no intention to collect binoculars and it is not getting enough use. (However, I would still keep it if I have enough money for my other financial needs because simply I love to own several pairs of good binoculars). 🙂

I'm hoping some can chime in who understand where I'm coming from. I'm trying to decide if...
You might consider selling both slc and tract and replacing them with a 10x42 SLC/EL/NL

I've considered selling a fair number of my lesser used in order to buy a 10x50WX, but am not prepared to lose the money.

It's a tough decision

How much money did you loose during the process of selling/buying 3 times? Or did you make good deals?
That is also something I am concerned about. Selling bins for a couple of hundreds less than what you have paid for and than buying the same binoculars later...
I bought and sold two new binoculars and lost too much for my liking.
Buying secondhand binoculars and selling them is probably better for your wallet.
Well, I bought all three FL second hand at fair prices, and I sold them for fair prices too, so I didn't loose much (if anything). I hardly buy 1st hand, especially when it comes to top of the range models. That's the reason I have never tried the latest and greatest (NL, SF, NV), but have enjoyed great optics (EL-SV, FL, UVHD, HGL) for the "new" price of 2nd tier models or even less. I don't collect, but I don't buy to "flip" either: I buy to use. I understand that if I use something, there is some wear that I account for when I sell it, so I would sell for lower prices. So, while I obviously try not to lose money, I see it as a hobby where I do have to spend some money on.

I'm hoping some can chime in who understand where I'm coming from. I'm trying to decide if I should sell my SLC 8x42 now while it's still in perfect condition or keep it long term.

Here is the dilemma. I purchased the brand new SLC 8x42 in July this year, manufactured date 2020. It's a beautiful bin, perfection. BUT.... I'm a birder, not a bin collector. What I mean by that, is I really don't want a bin if it doesn't serve a specific purpose for my birding. The 8x format for me does not provide a specific purpose for birding, except for my car bin, an inexpensive 8x32 (that right, SLC can NOT be a car bin).

For general birding, I've used 10x for years. I bought the SLC 8x42 because I didn't have an 8x42 and I wanted to give that platform a decent test for general birding. To test it out, figured I'd get what some consider one of the best bins in the world. It really is an incredible bin. Build quality, eye cups, focuser (little stiff at first not anymore), size, weight, ergonomics, lack of CA, clarity, resolution, low light performance, and personally I really enjoy the look of it. However, after birding with it a few times in my yard and local hotspots, I'm convinced I simply miss too many small bird IDs in the distance with an 8x that I don't with my 10x, which happens to be a Tract Toric 10x42. The Toric is not a better bin than the SLC, but I miss noticeably more birds with the 8x42 SLC than I do with the 10x42 Toric.

For specialty birding I drop in magnification to 6-7x range or increase to 12x (will be trying out Sig Zulu HDX 16x42 to replace 12x) or use spotting scope.

So...
1) Do I keep the SLC forever because I think it is amazing and one of a kind, even though I have no real purpose for it?
2) Do I sell it now while it's still like new? (If I do, the finances will help fund a Sig Zulu HDX 16x42 and a Kowa Genesis 10.5x44)
3) Do I keep it for now and maybe sell it years down the road, but by then take more of a financial loss because it won't be as new?

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts and if you have been through this in your past. Do you have any regrets? Would you have made a different decision if you could do it over and why?

Thanks.

View attachment 1538609

Keep it! Don’t sell, that’s just my opinion of course. I only would sell if I can’t pay the rent or buy food.
Selling binoculars is bad luck 😂

In that specific case it’s not bad luck but it will be good luck, i wish you all the best in your new apartment!
Thank you so much for your kind wishes. I sold the Habicht as well here in the BF. I will buy both again once my finances get stabilized. Having more binoculars makes me happy. However, right now I can keep the ones that I really use.

Thank you so much for your kind wishes. I sold the Habicht as well here in the BF. I will buy both again once my finances get stabilized. Having more binoculars makes me happy. However, right now I can keep the ones that I really use.

Many times, less is better. I’m an old man now, the best times of my life i had only 2 binocular 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back