• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC 8x42: Keep or Sell? (1 Viewer)

Many times, less is better. the best times of my life i had only 2 binocular πŸ€”
I wish that I could think the same way. Habichts and NLs are such fine binoculars to let go of. I will never sell them if I see any other option πŸ™‚ But I am trying to be happy with what I have and trying to use them most. After selling Habichts and NL, I still have UV 10x32 HD and Curio. They both are fine binoculars (except UVs having too much CA in some situations) and getting much use. As you said sometimes the most important thing is enjoying the movement with what we have.

I wish that I could think the same way. Habichts and NLs are such fine binoculars to let go of. I will never sell them if I see any other option πŸ™‚ But I am trying to be happy with what I have and trying to use them most. After selling Habichts and NL, I still have UV 10x32 HD and Curio. They both are fine binoculars (except UVs having too much CA in some situations) and getting much use. As you said sometimes the most important thing is enjoying the movement with what we have.
You can always sell a kidney and keep the bins πŸ˜‚

The Leica 10x32 is a nice format, i got a Trinovid BN in that configuration last mont. Perfect for daytime use, but in the evening or night we need bigger objectves.

I guess I'm not the only one who is hanging on to binoculars they don't use much (mine: 8x32 FL).

I'm impressed with how perfectly the OP finds his Tract works for him. If a binocular works for you that well (in both ergonomics and optical quality) you should definitely keep it. If you need the money you could get for the SLC more than having a binocular you don't use, sell it. If you can afford to keep it, by all means do. I'd imagine that the SLC HD (thought by some to be the best SLC variant) is still likely to be quite in demand 4-5 years down the line.

Question to the OP - if the Tract suits you that much, why not get another (or something with similar ergonomics like the Nikon Monarch HG) instead of the larger/heavier Kowa 10.5x44?

Last edited:
You can always sell a kidney and keep the bins πŸ˜‚
My wife would not like it. She promised to give me 5000 euros when she got a job. So better wait for that to get them back. I don't think I can do the same thing with kidneys πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚

I am sorry for going off-topic. However, it seems some BF members including me (of course Dennis is not included) would not sell binoculars unless the finances get really bad.

You all are giving me a lot to think about, it's appreciated. So far, I feel like selling it is the more popular recommendation. I don't technically HAVE to sell for financial purposes. It's more just wanting to be a wise with finances and not keeping expensive (or cheap) items I don't have use for.

You all are giving me a lot to think about, it's appreciated. So far, I feel like selling it is the more popular recommendation. I don't technically HAVE to sell for financial purposes. It's more just wanting to be a wise with finances and not keeping expensive (or cheap) items I don't have use for.

You know best! With the current inflation in Europe…..i rather don’t sell my bins

I guess I'm not the only one who is hanging on to binoculars they don't use much (mine: 8x32 FL).

I'm impressed with how perfectly the OP finds his Tract. If a binocular works for you that well (in both ergonomics and optical quality) you should definitely keep it. If you need the money you could get for the SLC more than having a binocular you don't use, sell it. If you can afford to keep it, by all means do. I'd imagine that the SLC HD (thought by some to be the best SLC variant) is still likely to be quite in demand 4-5 years down the line.

Question to the OP - if the Tract suits you that much, why not get another (or something with similar ergonomics like the Nikon Monarch HG) instead of the larger/heavier Kowa 10.5x44?

I don't find the Tract perfect, but close for what is most important to me. Which is getting on a bird as quick as possible, then having the most detailed image as possible in order to make the ID and enjoy the bird. From my experience the Tract is very good at both of these.

In the Tract, CA is more noticeable than the SLC, seems about same as my UVHD+. The focus wheel is not as smooth and tighter then both SLC and UVHD+, it also focuses in oposite directions than those, which I don't care for. However, the location of the focuser and the slighty higher elevation above the bin frame is easeir for my fingers to work, which makes up for it being tighter to turn. The armor, though nice, is not as solid feeling as the SLC or UVHD+.

I don't like CA at all, I'm very suseptible to it. I notice it sometimes with the Tract if birding in more open habiats where sky is in the background. I have eyes on the Genesis because of the praises it gets for being one of the best (if not the best?) in CA control. Though it is larger than the Tract the design and barrel shape are similar being a straighter design vs more contoured toward like the SLC or Meostar (which I also considerd for it's praises in CA control). From what I've read, MHG will have more CA than I'd prefer.

Are there other 10x bins that are known to control CA as good as the Genesis in the 1k range?

I still have UV 10x32 HD and Curio.
Those are both binoculars I bought without ever having the chance to try, and right away decided they were keepers. Between the two of them they were able to sideline (at least temporarily) my 8x20 Ultravid and 8x32 HD+, which at the time were my absolute favorites.

Are there other 10x bins that are known to control CA as good as the Genesis in the 1k range?

I would recommend the Zeiss FL 10X42 to address the CA issue, they can be obtained used for around the 1K mark, just like the one in the classifieds, however that one is for a UK purchase only.

I would recommend the Zeiss FL 10X42 to address the CA issue, they can be obtained used for around the 1K mark, just like the one in the classifieds, however that one is for a UK purchase only.
I saw that one too. Need should do more research on that bin in case one comes up for sale in the US.

Do you happen to have hands on experience with both of them? If so who had the better CA control?

The Meostar 10x42 HD. I just got hold of a 12x50 HD B1+ and the lack of CA is pretty remarkable. Now considering getting the 10x42 HD as well because I don't have a 10x.

Does anybody here think that the Meopta Meostar HDs are similar to Leica UVHDs in terms of image quality; only with less CA, a bit less blue/violet (maybe) and not quite as bright? Have been using a 12x50 for about 10 days now and looked through a 10x42 a while ago briefly. I haven't seen the 15x56 but many describe them as close rivals to the Swaro SLC (maybe even sharper in the centre and less CA) which from memory is less blue/cool than most Swaros. They have that warmth, presence of deep reds and an almost total freedom from glare that the UVHDs & Noctivids always seem to offer.

Does anybody here think that the Meopta Meostar HDs are similar to Leica UVHDs in terms of image quality; only with less CA, a bit less blue/violet (maybe) and not quite as bright? Have been using a 12x50 for about 10 days now and looked through a 10x42 a while ago briefly. I haven't seen the 15x56 but many describe them as close rivals to the Swaro SLC (maybe even sharper in the centre and less CA) which from memory is less blue/cool than most Swaros. They have that warmth, presence of deep reds and an almost total freedom from glare that the UVHDs & Noctivids always seem to offer.
Personally I've never looked through a Meostar, but do have the UVHD+ 7X42 which does show more CA than I'd prefer, but overall is great.

I've read the Kowa Genesis has slightly better CA control than the Meostar. But I've read both are great at controlling it.

Personally I've never looked through a Meostar, but do have the UVHD+ 7X42 which does show more CA than I'd prefer, but overall is great.

I've read the Kowa Genesis has slightly better CA control than the Meostar. But I've read both are great at controlling it.

My other large glass is a Noctivid in 8x which has such beautiful colour and contrast (and sharpness). It can occasionally show CA on high contrast edges which is a temporary distraction that I would prefer not to have, but then I forgive it because of the rest of the image! Without high contrast edges in the scene I don't think any other 8x42 is in the same league (but I haven't looked through the Nikon EDG).

Simply put, yes I would say those are accurate comparisons and assessments. And don’t forget the build quality. Very utilitarian, but it will never fail you.

Simply put, yes I would say those are accurate comparisons and assessments. And don’t forget the build quality. Very utilitarian, but it will never fail you.

I wonder why Meopta didn't use the MeoLux coatings on the Meostars as they originally said they would in 2020. That would most likely improve the brightness and blue/violet content in particular, and make them a potentially first choice for image quality even considering the top 3, if you didn't want a very wide and flat FOV. At a price that is less crazy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back