• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slight modification to the zip tie scope sight (2 Viewers)

BevJ

Canada
I read with interest the zip tie post that’s been around for a long time. Thank’s to the OP. I tried multiple times with securing the zip tie to the scope and just coudn’t get it tight enough. Tried a few things and today put on some rubber jar seal rings, determined the proper height of the post sight and set it up. Two rings would be enough but put 3 on because that’s how many I stole from my wife’s canning supplies. Field tested for a bit this afternoon and am pleased enough so I thought I would share. The black post is a piece of a zip tie and I cut a few spares in the event a branch snags it and I lose it..
Mine is a 65mm. Hope this helps a few. You can sure get on target quick using a zip-tie sight.

Attachments

• IMG_0691.jpeg
    IMG_0691.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0690.jpeg
    IMG_0690.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0689.jpeg
    IMG_0689.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
Great to see people tweaking the design. Finally found a chap using one… turned out I’d told him to try it… still waiting to see another in the wild… people don’t know what they’re missing.

Peter

My version is as follows: The zip tie is tightened around an aluminium socket (made from old TV antenna pipe) of which I compressed into oval shape, the strap (taken from an old rubber boot) goes through the socket and can be tightened around the scope body. The sight sets automatically vertical when turned up as the aluminium socket is oval and can be turned backwards when it can be put under the focusing mechanims cover so it won't stick in other gear etc. in my backpack. There's also adjustable vertical aimpoint (the black tie locking end where the locking claw has been removed) becaus I use different eyepieces of which some are physically taller and shorter and I also use the 1.6x extender which adds eyepiece height.

Regards, Juhani

Attachments

• 20240327_102757.jpg
    20240327_102757.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 20240327_102718.jpg
    20240327_102718.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back