• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Smack in the face (1 Viewer)

crowman

Has anyone been struck by a flying bird? As a gardener I've had numerous near misses as birds sweep through gateways, trees and arches, and even in town with pigeons sweeping around corners. I just get to wondering sometimes! ;)

crowman said:
Has anyone been struck by a flying bird? As a gardener I've had numerous near misses as birds sweep through gateways, trees and arches, and even in town with pigeons sweeping around corners. I just get to wondering sometimes! ;)

I know a guy who was struck in the side of the head by a Manx Shearwater one night on Stokholm. Made quite a lot of damage by all account !

I had a Blackbird (the European variety) crash into my face a few years back, I walked around the corner of my house and it flew straight into me at full speed... i had a cut on my forhead and a bit of bruising, then the Blackbird flew off seemingly without any damage.

It's amazing how many very close shaves I've had with turdus merula in similar circumstances.

crowman said:
try going to the farne islands in the breeding season!!!
you get attacked by the terns.. take a tough hat!! worth the effort and the pain..

Had a blackbird brush my knee with it's wing while I was loafing in the grass
on my local patch once...

Also bounced a pipistrelle bat off my chest while riding a bike down country lanes at dusk..dangerous world we live in!

Matt

crowman said:

Had a blackbird fly into my foot whilst walking through a local park once (I didn't kick it honest. . .)

And the Arctic Terns on the Farnes have drawn my blood on several occasions.
At the other end of the scale I had a Pied Flycatcher land on my knee on Inner Farne. The lightest of touches. . .

No bird collisions, but I felt the wind against my neck from two Greater Horseshoe bats as they whizzed just over my shoulder one evening.. together with the bat detector going ballistic with noises I never thought it was capable of!.. that scared the life out of me, despite it being a lifer!

At Seaforth one morning, a huge dragonfly was whizzing towards me, and despite me being the only obstacle for miles it hit me slap on the forehead, then seemed to get tangled in my hair. i was fairly repulsed afterwards!

When hummingbirds are thick at my house in the spring (6 species) I'll sit outside and read oposite a corner of my home with feeders further back along each wall. The birds are always blazing around that corner but never make contact. Folks new to this (strange) experience freak out. They come within inches. Fast and violent. Always in control........

Didn't the Queen get whacked by a Pheasant once?

I've had some near misses, usually Feral Pigeons in town centres which fly up at the last minute.

i had an artic skua just colide with me and no more on hunda last year. Im shure it was a misjugment on its part as it protected its nest.I didnt see it coming. It was a woosh dunk and a flap of feathers and it was off. My heart was beating fast in my mouth but the lasting impresion was the smell my grannies chicken shed As for the bird [a nice light morph]. It was un hurt and harried me for ten more minuets as i moved along the shore

Never been hit, but I've had a total of three near-misses with Sparrowhawks! A few weeks ago, walking back home from town, one (chasing a Pied Wagtail) avoided my by barely an inch, and I actually ducked to miss it. Even felt the wind from its wings!

I also know someone who kicked out in frustration at one of those pigeons in city centres, expecting it jump out of the way. It didn't...

And not a collision, although I felt like one was going to happen, once about 10,000 feet or so up on the top of a mountain in New Mexico I was 'buzzed' by a white-throated swift. I'm not that good with heights, and I was stood on the top when this Swift came whizzing in repeatedly, almost straight for me (I'm sure it was just after airborne insects hanging around the top). There wasn't anywhere for me to go really and it was probably the most petrifying birding moment I've had, especially before I realised what was going on.

Actually that reminds me, is it just a story or haven't Lammergeiers (Bearded Vultures) been said to attempt to knock mountain climbers off the side of the Alps??

Ausable Bird Observatory said:
Barn Owl in the face, lucky not to fall off the ladder!

And there was me thinking owls could see in the dark!!!!!!

You didn't happen to have particularily squeaky rungs on your ladder did you? Crikey, you had a lucky escape. You could have been carried off into the night, never to be seen again. . . . ;)

When dragging the wheelie bin in one day nearly got hit by a Sparrowhawk that was coming into grab some of the fnches, sparrows in the garden.

One of my work colleagues had been riding his bicycle down a country lane one morning and a Blue Tit flew out and into his chest area, I don't know who was more taken aback of the two of them. Luckily with him been a really good cyclist he managed to ride along taking both hands off the handlebars and disentangle it from his mesh cycling jacket.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back