• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small Sewers in Sharm el Sheikh, Feb 13th 2010 (1 Viewer)

NicoleB

Nature addict
I have been to the 'small Pools' aka Sewers on Saturday (the ones near Hadaba / Naama bay) and I was sad to see that they have cut all the reeds along the pools.

There were not many left anyway, now they are all gone.

The only reeds left now are at the street side, at the bottom where a small stream comes from the pools.
Quite a few small birds in that area, but since I'm not good (yet) in IDing the small ones, I can't give any details.

I hope they let them grow again :(

Saw about 22 stork carcasses (none of them ringed), except for two all there since a few months.

Saw at least a 100 storks altogether in two areas below the pools, about 40 Spur winged Plovers doing some 'flight training', some coots, 3 ducks I couldn't ID and 2 more with the Coots (I got photos of those, will post them later - maybe someone can ID them), bunches of Wagtails and sparrows and one more flock of birds where the pics will come later.

I was there from 7.30 to 9.30 am, not the Best birding time maybe, but usually I see at least one raptor circling.
That day there was none.

Except for about 100 quads passing to and fro during that time, it was quiet. The water trucks started piling in at around 9.

Dead Storks

I have been to the 'small Pools' aka Sewers on Saturday (the ones near Hadaba / Naama bay) and I was sad to see that they have cut all the reeds along the pools.

There were not many left anyway, now they are all gone.

The only reeds left now are at the street side, at the bottom where a small stream comes from the pools.
Quite a few small birds in that area, but since I'm not good (yet) in IDing the small ones, I can't give any details.

I hope they let them grow again :(

Saw about 22 stork carcasses (none of them ringed), except for two all there since a few months.

Saw at least a 100 storks altogether in two areas below the pools, about 40 Spur winged Plovers doing some 'flight training', some coots, 3 ducks I couldn't ID and 2 more with the Coots (I got photos of those, will post them later - maybe someone can ID them), bunches of Wagtails and sparrows and one more flock of birds where the pics will come later.

I was there from 7.30 to 9.30 am, not the Best birding time maybe, but usually I see at least one raptor circling.
That day there was none.

Except for about 100 quads passing to and fro during that time, it was quiet. The water trucks started piling in at around 9.

Hi there, are you talking about the small pond below the sewage works or the small pools out towards the airport ?. Also can you keep me informed as to how many dead storks there are as I was told they would be cleared away by someone. I was told this only a few days ago. I am over in October and would love to go out birding and show yoou the sites I have seen. I love Sharm and my friends ( non birders ) stay there.
Anything you cant id give descriptions and we can id it together. Either on this site or email me at [email protected] or facebook me my name is MARK BEGG. gOOD bIRIDNGo:)

Hi Mark,

the airport isn't far away from these pools, but I was told these were 'The small pools'.
On this blog post you can find the google map:
http://nicoleb.org/b2/index.php/nature/birdwatching-small-pools-sharm

Too bad one can't link to the entries on the map any more, sigh.

If you click on the google map, you should be able to see them though (I hope).

The dead storks,..., well, I think someone clears some carcasses away, since I heard there were many more dead ones.
The last time I've been there has been three weeks ago, so who knows what they are doing.
Need to go again in the coming days, hope to see some freshly arrived raptors :)
Many have crossed for migration and I hope some end up here for a short stay :)

If we are still here in October, I would gladly meet up with you.
Last time I managed to meet a birder was last year October, sigh :)

Best wishes,
Nicole

(Will check for you on FB now :) )

Update to clarify:

These were actually the so called 'Sharm Pools' - thanks, Mark :)

The reeds are slowly growing back & the first Migrators in all seizes have arrived.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back