• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

snowy owl irruption (1 Viewer)

i'm guessing that these birds would be coming from the canadian and alaskan arcitc, where as scottish vagrants would come from the scandinavian arctic. but i could easily be wrong

You would be completely correct, Snowy Owls are also far more numerous in the northern States than they ever are in Scandinavia, so even a 'poor' year over will notch up the owls ...saw six in December/January two winters back without much effort.

This is a significant irruption, not only in "Minnesota, Michigan, and North and South Dakota" which typically host at least a few Snowy Owls every winter, but owls are being seen south into Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois, Wyoming, and Kansas. I cannot blame the madison.com article for being somewhat Wisconsin-centric, though. ;) See also here and here.

Two Snowy Owls are currently being reported from Smithville Lake, Smithville, Missouri. This is just 40 miles south of where I live in Saint Joseph, Missouri. I am hoping to get down there to see at least one of them if not both!!

Two Snowy Owls are currently being reported from Smithville Lake, Smithville, Missouri. This is just 40 miles south of where I live in Saint Joseph, Missouri. I am hoping to get down there to see at least one of them if not both!!

I hope you make it down there, Larry. Can't wait to retire and hit the northern states looking for these.

This is a significant irruption, not only in "Minnesota, Michigan, and North and South Dakota" which typically host at least a few Snowy Owls every winter, but owls are being seen south into Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois, Wyoming, and Kansas. I cannot blame the madison.com article for being somewhat Wisconsin-centric, though. ;) See also here and here.

One was also shot at the honolulu airport last month.

Last edited:
Was the one at HNL ship aided or aircraft aided (or does anyone know)? I know they've been spotted in Bermuda so just wondered.

No reason to believe it didn't fly to honolulu, and the timing is right. The bird was starved, and had not been seen before. Someone would have noticed a bird like that.

No reason to believe it didn't fly to honolulu, and the timing is right. The bird was starved, and had not been seen before. Someone would have noticed a bird like that.
Is that even possible? The mainland is about 2,000 miles away. Don't owls like to hug the shoreline during migration to avoid flying over large expanses of water?

Is that even possible? The mainland is about 2,000 miles away. Don't owls like to hug the shoreline during migration to avoid flying over large expanses of water?

Short-eareds often fly over water, and there's a record of snowy from bermuda and a number from britain.

Hawai'i has a record of a Golden Eagle ( killed while dive bombing a helicopter, if I'm not wrong!!!! ) so a Snowy Owl could, just, make it over the water IMO.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back