• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some bird reports..... Why? (1 Viewer)

I agree with this to a degree but where do you draw the line? How many Hobbies, Little Egrets, Garden Warblers, Black Terns, Yellow Wagtails, Garganeys, Ruffs, Turtle Doves, Cuckoos, and Avocets etc do you estimate are in the country right now? If everyone who saw one "flying over" reported it then the RBA staff would not be able to keep up and subscribers would have to trawl through thousands of birds flying over in order to see something worthwhile. I still do not understand why fly overs have a place on sites like RBA.

That's up to the reporter to be aware of the rarity of a bird in the area. Flyover avocet in Norfolk - ridiculous. Flyover Avocet in Staffordshire - definitely report it. So I say report all the Hobbies, Little Egrets, Garden Warblers, Black Terns, Yellow Wagtails, Garganeys, Ruffs, Turtle Doves, Cuckoos, and Avocets if they're going to be of interest to somebody.

Right, lets get this straight, hobbies ARE scarce in Yorks, not rare but worth a look. They are aerial feeders so the fact that it has passed overhead doesnt mean it has left the area. I have refound them recently from reports of a flyover the previous day! If you cant afford to discriminate sightings then you have to accept that they arent going to all be of use to you. A patch Hobby is a big thing for a lot of people and is worth putting out for other people that work the same area. They may be able to relocate the bird. As mentioned a flyover Honey Buzzard say isnt going to be relocated unless you are looking along the vector which it is flying but i believe you have chosen the wrong species to illustrate your point. Yellow Wagtail I would understand as it is merely a case of getting into the right habitat. Unless you have one on your local urban playing field...

That's up to the reporter to be aware of the rarity of a bird in the area. Flyover avocet in Norfolk - ridiculous. Flyover Avocet in Staffordshire - definitely report it. So I say report all the Hobbies, Little Egrets, Garden Warblers, Black Terns, Yellow Wagtails, Garganeys, Ruffs, Turtle Doves, Cuckoos, and Avocets if they're going to be of interest to somebody.

Ok we are in agreement. I still think that a Hobby flyover on a street in Yorkshire is a waste of time.

Right, lets get this straight, hobbies ARE scarce in Yorks, not rare but worth a look. They are aerial feeders so the fact that it has passed overhead doesnt mean it has left the area. I have refound them recently from reports of a flyover the previous day! If you cant afford to discriminate sightings then you have to accept that they arent going to all be of use to you. A patch Hobby is a big thing for a lot of people and is worth putting out for other people that work the same area. They may be able to relocate the bird. As mentioned a flyover Honey Buzzard say isnt going to be relocated unless you are looking along the vector which it is flying but i believe you have chosen the wrong species to illustrate your point. Yellow Wagtail I would understand as it is merely a case of getting into the right habitat. Unless you have one on your local urban playing field...

Ok I see your point. I think that I sometimes forget that there are people who have to see every bird that enters their air space. Yes to these people this is of some use. I do however think that it is a good job that not everyone reports everything they see.

Sorry, a bit harsh. I think other people may have explained. Hobby isn't a common bird, and is always worth reporting. Somebody will be interested. Most birders only see flight views of Hobby anyway, and if they've flown over once they will often fly over again.

Even if there is no chance of it returning, it's still of interest to people, because it shows that they are (or have been recently) in the area, so it's worth keeping your eyes open, because it might still be close by.

Fly pasts of other birds such as Skuas are also worth recording, because they are usually fairly regular past the same points at the same time of year, and the passage often lasts for a few days. For example, if I see a report of a Pomarine Skua at Bowness in Cumbria in May, I know that the annual passage has started and though I won't see the exact individual, it's worth going tomorrow because there will almost certainly be more on the way. Same with Leaches Petrels on the Merseyside coast in September.

Sometimes birders don't just look for birds based on rarity value, they look for the spectacle of good numbers passing through, and return to the same places year after year.

It just seemed ironic to me that you weren't interested in a report of flyover Hobby, yet said you don't filter out common species in case you miss something you've not seen. It's almost like saying you're happy for common species to be reported when it suits you, but not when it doesn't.

I find reports of passage migrants useful as it tells me that birds are once again arriving in the UK or on the move and even better if they're in your vicinity - alerts you to keep your wits about you.

Also, as a keen sea-watching, knowing things ar moving through along the East coast is very useful...........allows me to knock off early to try and catch up with them for starters :)

What I'm less convinced by are reports as per this afternoons (as a recent example) of escaped Baikal Teals at Scaling Dam in Cleveland.

Isn't that the equivalent of me reporting the local cockerel (heard, of course) while I'm in bed.......?

Ooops, I can sense the abuse before its even posted.........:)

Last edited:
I don't mid seeing all these reports, as like dantheman said, they're important to the people who see them, even the Wildlife reports - if i saw a certain butterfly and sent it in as a sighting and they posted it on the website, i'd be pleased with that - it would prove to my self that i'd seen something worthwhile.

Also the people who are bringing up this point in the first place are obviously full on twitchers, who just like to go and see a mega rarity and not enjoy everything that the countryside has to offer.

Anyway i've said my part.

It just seemed ironic to me that you weren't interested in a report of flyover Hobby, yet said you don't filter out common species in case you miss something you've not seen. It's almost like saying you're happy for common species to be reported when it suits you, but not when it doesn't.

Ok I don't seem to be getting through on the flyover thing. I haven't seen a pintail as I said earlier. But if someone saw one fly over my village it would be of no use to me as I would not persue it. If however someone saw one swimming on my local pond then that to me would be something to go and see.
This did start out as a simple question. Why do people report flyovers. To a certain degree people have answered that question and yes I do agree that to some people even a flyover is news that they want to hear. My point here is that if everyone reported every flyover that they saw then the RBA (in my case) would be inundated with too much information making the whole thing hard to manage.
So to sum up. I take on board the points made about the reason for reporting flyovers but still maintain that if everyone did it with common species then it would be too much information for organisations like RBA to cope with.

I find reports of passage migrants useful as it tells me that birds are once again arriving in the UK or on the move and even better if they're in your vicinity - alerts you to keep your wits about you.

Also, as a keen sea-watching, knowing things ar moving through along the East coast is very useful...........allows me to knock off early to try and catch up with them for starters :)

What I'm less convinced by are reports as per this afternoons (as a recent example) of escaped Baikal Teals at Scaling Dam in Cleveland.

Isn't that the equivalent of me reporting the local cockerel (heard, of course) while I'm in bed.......?

Ooops, I can sense the abuse before its even posted.........:)

I am actually coming up to Druridge Bay for the week tomorrow. So where exactly is this cockerel you speak of??? :)

Ok I don't seem to be getting through on the flyover thing. I haven't seen a pintail as I said earlier. But if someone saw one fly over my village it would be of no use to me as I would not persue it. If however someone saw one swimming on my local pond then that to me would be something to go and see.

But what if the reported fly over was a couple of miles down the road and the bird was heading your way, surely then you'd see some value in the report.

The ones that annoy me are the fly overs that fail to mention direction! There have been two flyover bee-eaters in Norfolk recently where the directions not been mentioned, not much use when you'd within a mile of the site and don't know which way to head.

The thing is, I see things like Hobbys and Yellow Wagtails on an almost daily basis, should I send in a report?

Where do you get Hobbies on a daily basis in Yorkshire? Personally I know of only one such site, and I've been twice and not seen them? In fact, I've only seen Hobby at two sites in Yorkshire, and both have been notified to the site recorder.

Where do you get Hobbies on a daily basis in Yorkshire? Personally I know of only one such site, and I've been twice and not seen them? In fact, I've only seen Hobby at two sites in Yorkshire, and both have been notified to the site recorder.

I was wondering the same. I lived for 30 years in Yorkshire and never saw a hobby.

Ok I don't seem to be getting through on the flyover thing. I haven't seen a pintail as I said earlier. But if someone saw one fly over my village it would be of no use to me as I would not persue it. If however someone saw one swimming on my local pond then that to me would be something to go and see.......

But maybe if somebody mentioned a Pintail flying over your village, you might think that it would be worth checking out your local ponds yourself, without waiting for somebody else to find it.

Also, Hobby and Pintail are completely different. Hobbies are often seen flying over the same area day after day, hawking for insects and hirundines, so the bird may return. A Pintail is doesn't feed in flight, so it's obviously on its way somewhere.

Ok I don't seem to be getting through on the flyover thing. I haven't seen a pintail as I said earlier. But if someone saw one fly over my village it would be of no use to me as I would not persue it.

However, if a Pintail flew over, it means it was going somewhere, whereas Hobbies feed on the wing, so a fly-over might well be feeding in the area.

If however someone saw one swimming on my local pond then that to me would be something to go and see.

Maybe it was just a swim-by!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back