• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some sort of hawk... (1 Viewer)

IDidiot

United States
Hi All,

It was a dark and drizzly morning on the central west coast of Florida. This bird didn't hang around long enough for me to get any kind of good pic for ID. Fairly large hawk, sitting high in a taller mangrove tree on the canal. I'm thinking it is a red-shouldered hawk, but would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks!
ID

Attachments

• hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 38
Just to add:

A Red-shouldered Hawk has either a black tail with narrow white bands (adult) or a finely barred tail. General structure and nape pattern (streaky white) rules out a Sharp-shinned. It’s clearly an accipter (long tail/short wing) which rules out any of the buteo ‘Hawks’, including Red-shouldered and Red-tailed. While Broad-winged Hawk is feasible in Florida in the Winter, this is another buteo sp which has shorter tail/longer wings with again a different tail pattern.

Thanks! This is a new bird for my eBird list. Deb, thank you for the notes on what to look for. To be able to rule out the red shoulder is important... they are common here.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back