• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some thought's about nebouxi / nebouxii (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

We have him here...

No. 1 – nebouxii in …
● Blue-footed Booby Sula nebouxii MILNE-EDWARDS 1882
... probably the French Naturalitst and Dr (surgeon): Adolphe Simon Neboux (18061844*) a k a "Adolphe-Simon Néboux" (*sometimes his years are given as "1806–après/about 1847"), who sailed on the frigate Vénus between the years 1836 and 1839, visiting the Pacific coast of North America and the Galápagos Islands.

...here...

What I do know is that Emile Parzudaki was part of the crew of the Venus that sailed the world between 29 December 1836 and 26 June 1839. The expedition's main naturalist was Adolphe Simon Neboux and Abel du Petit-Thouars and Parzudaki was their assistant, as far as I can see now.

...and here...

For some taxa it is Fl. Prévost and O. des Murs:
Grallaria squamigera, Grallaria guatemalensis, Tanagra (Calliste) rufivertex, Emberiza biarcuata, Kurukuru nebouxii, Kurukuru Dupetit-Thouarsii, Anous cinereous,

...already in several threads. The key states:

Surgeon-Maj. Adolphe-Simon Neboux (1806-1844) French naval surgeon, explorer, naturalist (syn. Mimus patagonicus, subsp. Procelsterna cerulea, syn. Ptilinopus purpuratus, Sula).

According Audubon to Xántus: The Lives of Those Commemorated in North American Bird Names he was born 22. Feb. 1806 in La Châtre. Without checking it in Archive en ligne I trust Barbara and Richard Mearns as the whole chapter seems to be well researched. Anyway supported by:
Neboux, Adolphe-Simon (1806-?) Né le 22 février 1806 à La Châtre (Indre). Entre dans la Marine comme élève chirurgien en 1822. Fait de nombreuses campagnes en particulier aux Antilles et au Brésil. Il est chirurgien-major sur la « Vénus » pendant son expédition autour du monde sous le commandement de A. Du Petit-Thouars de 1836 à 1839. Au cours du voyage, l'équipage étant atteint de scorbut, il le traita avec succès avec du pain... in Bulletin du Muséum national d'histoire naturelle, 1990, p. 111

But let's talk about his death. I have no idea where the year 1844 derived from but in Audubon to Xántus p. 333 is written:

Neboux remained on the inactive list for two and a half years and was pensioned off towards the end of 1847, after twenty-five years service in the French navy. He went to live in Paris and three years later published a book in which he e outlined his recommendations for providing medical care for the poor in the city. After this nothing more is known about him other than the fact that a letter of his sent from Paris to Brest, dated 10 January 1854, indicates that he at least reached the age of forty-eight.

I have no clue when he died but do not believe it is the year 1844.

Last edited:
A good point, Martin!

Like I wrote in after the "Disclaimer" in my earlier post (that you quoted) I never checked Mr. Neboux in full, he´s only briefly mentioned in my MS in connection to the Blue-footed Booby Sula nebouxii [in Swedish blåfotad sula, same meaning as in English], in my MS he hasn´t got an entry of his own, thereby I didn´t dug any deeper, my point was only a hint, that I while reading some odd bits and pieces, here and there, noticed that his claimed death year looked uncertain. And apparently it was ...

If Monsieur Neboux wrote a letter "dated 10 January 1854" as claimed by the Mearns's (and I have no reason to doubt them, their researches are among the most trustworthy) I find it very hard to belive he died ten years earlier ;) ... nor in "après/about 1847" as I wrote earlier.

I simply missed, forgot or didn´t notice, that part (Mr. Neboux wasn´t in my mind, of no interest, then) when I read "Audubon to Xántus: ..." years ago.

In any case; I´ve found no traces later than that, he simply vanished ... thereby I wouldn´t go further than (hyphenated or not): Adolphe Simon Neboux (1806–fl. 1854)

Maybe "1844" was a mistake, a simple typo or a printers error for what was supposed to be -54 ...who knows!?

He published a medical article abot his time on the Venus in 1858 Bulletin général de thérapeutique médicale et chirurgicale ..., Volume 55 page 416. Note sur l'épidémie d'héméralopie. He is called le docteur Neboux , chirurgien de marine en retraite. I think 1844 comes from a 1978 thesis that describes his logbooks from 1828 to 1844. Les journaux de bord du "chirurgien navigans" Adolphe-Simon Neboux (author: Claudine Rigaudeau-Privat, ed. Jean-Pierre Kernéis), Université de Nantes.

Last edited:
Laurent strikes again!

Thereby, if that´s what the official document tells us, to me that scribbled year looks more like "188∫" ... surely an odd handwriting ;) ... in any case; I (who doesn´t know any French) will take your word for it:

= (without hyphen): Adolphe Simon Neboux (18061885), "French naval surgeon, explorer, naturalist", etc., etc. ... "who sailed on the frigate Vénus between the years 1836 and 1839, visiting the Pacific coast of North America and the Galápagos Islands" blah blah blah ... and onwards.

And; 'après' this I can only add: Well done guys!

:clap:
---

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back