• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song or mistle UK (1 Viewer)

birderUK007

Seen with lots of mistle thrush around in a field. Looks like chest dark patch is visible so leaning the mistle way but would love your thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC00630.JPG
    DSC00630.JPG
    508.2 KB · Views: 172
I would say Song Thrush due to the rotund look of the bird

Mistle Thrushes are on the lean side

Regards
Kathy
x

Cheers, of course. I guess other clues as to the identity in the field if there were Mistle Thrushes in the same place would be size and colour - Song a lot smaller and darker warm brown above. Mistle the same size as Fieldfare, Song smaller than either and Blackbird too. But I guess working out size not always as easy as all that.

Think there were a couple of useful threads on here once highlighting all the useful differences between the two ...

Cheers, of course. I guess other clues as to the identity in the field if there were Mistle Thrushes in the same place would be size and colour - Song a lot smaller and darker warm brown above. Mistle the same size as Fieldfare, Song smaller than either and Blackbird too. But I guess working out size not always as easy as all that.

Think there were a couple of useful threads on here once highlighting all the useful differences between the two ...

Thanks dantheman, will have a ganders for one of those threads you speak of. In the field I completely overlooked this guy, I thought it was mistle until I checked the photo after I got back and wondered if it might be a song.

Yes, Mistle Thrush indeed - although the pale wing panel is not so obvious, and the spots on flanks form lines, something more associated with S.T. - the head pattern and general impression (jizz) clinches the case.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back