• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Songbird/Cinclodes from Chile (1 Viewer)

Hi,

here are two (bad) photos showing a songbird (I guess a cinclodes species) at the rocky beach of Punta de Choros (North of La Serena) in Chile, taken on 21st April 2011. I took the photos through a window, which really doesn’t help identifying the bird…

Most likely (according to habitat, location and height) it should be a Seaside Cinclodes (Cinclodes nigrofumosus) but I miss the bright, white throat and the supercilium. Some other details (tail and wings) don’t seem to match with this species as well. I didn’t find any other possible species except Surf Cinclodes (Cinclodes taczanowskii), which does not occur in Chile, but far more North in Peru.

Maybe it’s even a different kind of songbird?
What are your opinions?
Best Wishes, vogel-robbie

Attachments

• 110421_PuntaDeChoros_Rätselvogel_birdforum.jpg
    110421_PuntaDeChoros_Rätselvogel_birdforum.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 110421_PuntaDeChoros_Rätselvogel02_birdforum.jpg
    110421_PuntaDeChoros_Rätselvogel02_birdforum.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Hi,

here are two (bad) photos showing a songbird (I guess a cinclodes species) at the rocky beach of Punta de Choros (North of La Serena) in Chile, taken on 21st April 2011. I took the photos through a window, which really doesn’t help identifying the bird…

Most likely (according to habitat, location and height) it should be a Seaside Cinclodes (Cinclodes nigrofumosus) but I miss the bright, white throat and the supercilium. Some other details (tail and wings) don’t seem to match with this species as well. I didn’t find any other possible species except Surf Cinclodes (Cinclodes taczanowskii), which does not occur in Chile, but far more North in Peru.

Maybe it’s even a different kind of songbird?
What are your opinions?
Best Wishes, vogel-robbie

This looks like black-billed shrike-tyrant. The eye is pale, the bill not super robust and without a prominent hook. Range and elevation look ok afaik. Your bird looks almost exactly like this one from the Wikipedia page:

This looks like black-billed shrike-tyrant. The eye is pale, the bill not super robust and without a prominent hook. Range and elevation look ok afaik. Your bird looks almost exactly like this one from the Wikipedia page:

Hey, thanks for your reply! Indeed the bird looks like a Black-billed Shrike-tyrant - I never had this species on my mind while looking at the photos!

I'm not sure, if the place I observed it, is part of its range or even habitat... But the only other similar Shrike-tyrant is the Great which looks different in some ways.

Hey, thanks for your reply! Indeed the bird looks like a Black-billed Shrike-tyrant - I never had this species on my mind while looking at the photos!

I'm not sure, if the place I observed it, is part of its range or even habitat... But the only other similar Shrike-tyrant is the Great which looks different in some ways.

Actually, there's another one in Chile which looks similar but which shouldn't be at that altitude: white-tailed

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back