• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony RX-100 various versions (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I have a Sony RX-10M4, which I think is superb. However, for many situations it is just too bulky to take along. As a back-up, I have an older Panasonic Lumix FZ-200, and I would now like to replace it with a much more compact Sony RX-100. My present questions circle around which version I should get? They run from around 600 Swiss Francs to double that amount or more. I understand that there was once a major step up, so any advice would be appreciated. I'm aware that the RX100 has a much smaller zoom range. But I assume it is otherwise rather comparable to the RX-10 regarding focus speed and resolution?

I found some infos searching around. So I guess Mk6 or 7 are to strive for. A major question still remains: How does focus speed compare to the RX10Mk4?

I briefly owned the FZ-200, and have had an RX100III since they were released. The RX100's are superb travel cameras - like the little Leica 8x20's if I may use a bino analogy - in that they are truly pocketable while having a respectable 1" sensor. There are other differences, but the lens zoom range is the biggest choice you'd have to make. Dpreview has done some good comparisons in past... worth searching for.
That said, once I started wanting to get good bird pics, I found that the pocket-sized cameras weren't of much use. If birds are on your list of priorities in a camera I think you have to go to a super-zoom (like the RX10 which you already have) or mirrorless (even larger).

I found some infos searching around. So I guess Mk6 or 7 are to strive for. A major question still remains: How does focus speed compare to the RX10Mk4?
I've the older Mk 6, it is a gem of a little camera, great for posed bird shots, less impressive for birds in flight, given the modest 24-200mm equivalent reach. Do note that the Mk 6 offers about 3x the zoom range of the Mk 4. Imho the Mk 4 is a non starter for birding photography.
Mk 6 plusses are that it is very portable with a relatively wide focal range , has a sharp lens and does video as well as still photos.
Downsides are that it is not waterproof and that the forbiddingly complex menu stands in the way of really getting full value out of this equipment.
The user manual is rudimentary, but the web only 'Trouble Shooting' guide is wonderfully comprehensive. Once you master those 500 plus pages, you will enjoy the camera's massive feature set. Afaik, the Mk 7 is identical in terms of optics, but has further improved video capability.

I've the older Mk 6, it is a gem of a little camera, great for posed bird shots, less impressive for birds in flight, given the modest 24-200mm equivalent reach. Do note that the Mk 6 offers about 3x the zoom range of the Mk 4. Imho the Mk 4 is a non starter for birding photography.
Mk 6 plusses are that it is very portable with a relatively wide focal range , has a sharp lens and does video as well as still photos.
Downsides are that it is not waterproof and that the forbiddingly complex menu stands in the way of really getting full value out of this equipment.
The user manual is rudimentary, but the web only 'Trouble Shooting' guide is wonderfully comprehensive. Once you master those 500 plus pages, you will enjoy the camera's massive feature set. Afaik, the Mk 7 is identical in terms of optics, but has further improved video capability.
Thanks! It had taken me quite some time to at least get the RX10 to do what I wanted it to do. (Leaving out lots of things I consider less important.) So I wonder whether the RX100 functions by a similar or even identical menu. I'm not so much concerned about it not being waterproof. The camera is small enough to be quickly stashed away.

I have an RX100/6 which takes very good pictures. The downsides I have discovered so far are the infuriating menu structure which means it takes ages to set the thing up the way one wants it, and the macro setting which is a complete con.

Thanks! It had taken me quite some time to at least get the RX10 to do what I wanted it to do. (Leaving out lots of things I consider less important.) So I wonder whether the RX100 functions by a similar or even identical menu. I'm not so much concerned about it not being waterproof. The camera is small enough to be quickly stashed away.
I'd think that Sony would seek to standardize its menus as much as possible, so I'd expect the RX 10 and RX 100 menus to be pretty similar.
If you download the appropriate Help Guide (DSC-RX100M6 | Help Guide | Top ), you can compare the details to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back