• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South African Birds #3 this is the last for today I promise (1 Viewer)

Greg McKay

I like the pretty colors
more Sth African Birds I need Help Identifying Thanks for your patience everyone 3 and 4 are the only birds I can get an idea about from the field guide I brought.
3. A Marsh sandpiper or common Greenshank
4. Maybe a Natal Frankolin but out of range photgraphed over near Kgala gadi NP Nth west Sth Afr

Attachments

• Help Needed 2.jpg
    Help Needed 2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 103
  • help required.jpg
    help required.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Marsh sandpiper or Common greenshank.jpg
    Marsh sandpiper or Common greenshank.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Natal Frankolin.jpg
    Natal Frankolin.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 107
  • need help 6.jpg
    need help 6.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 110
3 looks more like a Greenshank to me - quite thick billed. 2 are coursers of some kind - I'm trying to remember which kinds are likely.

Maybe Temminck's or Burchell's Courser, sorry I can't tell for sure from that pic, area may help where did you take the pic?
Rach

4 does look like a Natal Francolin, but as you say, out of range. In range would be Coqui, Crested, Redbilled, Orange River or Swainson's, none of which fit with your pic. Also not quite fitting with the pic, but well within range, could it be a Juvenille Helmeted Guineafowl.....

I'm going for Threestreaked Tchagra for #5, range is good, once zoomed I can see the white brow stripe with thin black stripe above, I can't make out the black eye stripe though.

Don't even feel like guessing on the first one. The last one on just first impression looks a Bradornis to me rather than Tchagra. The fourth is certainly a Francolin of some type - should be doable with the information afforded by the photo - just need the time.

I think the Francolin must be Natal, even if out of range. The only one I've seen was out of range too. The coursers look more like Temminck's (extensive dark patch on belly, noticeable black stripe behind eye). Last one looks a bit like a flycatcher to me.

1. Marico Flycatcher
2. Temminck's Courser
3. Common Greenshank
4. I can only get Natal Francolin to fit too.
5. Also Marico Flycatcher

David

Thanks for your help everyone

Rachel
Unfortunately I don't have any more photos of Number 1 but will check my travellimg companions they may have. The bird yuo believe is a courser was photgraphed just about on the Sth Afr Botswana border at Ponts drift if this helps

1 and 5 maybe both
Marico Flycatcher?

2 Temminck's Courser

For comparison on the frankolin, here is a somewhat blurry pic of Natal francolin I took some years ago ,
only francolin species i could bring to fit to your bird, even if out of range

Attachments

• Francolinus natalensis3.bmp
    519.5 KB · Views: 49
Hi Greg,

Yes, this is definitely a Natal Francolin. I would be very interested to get the exact locality of where you saw it as it is indeed an interesting record and would be useful to add into the local data bases on distribution.

Kind Regards
Trevor

Trevor
I photographed it somewhere on the roadsise between Upington and the Kgalagadi N.P, Not sure exactly where but as memory serves pretty close to Upington

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back