• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Florida - Royal or Caspian Tern? (2 Viewers)

Zackiedawg

Many birders had reported two Caspian terns visiting a local wetlands - it's not a common sight here...when I visited on Saturday, several other photographers were shooting two terns flying over the lake, and identifying them as the Caspians. I joined in to shoot as well - but I expected Caspians to have much redder bills, no fork in the tails, and the tufts of black on the heads looked more like Royal to me...hoping someone can confirm the following shots if these are Caspians or Royals:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Thank you both. I've seen both, but the royals I see a few every year or two, and the Caspians I've only seen twice, with the last sighting in 2012. I'm much more familiar with royals, and this really did seem to be a royal, but I didn't want to get into any arguments correcting other birders, so after questioning it once and getting a denial, I just let it be.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back