• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Llano River State Park warbler help (1 Viewer)

mdmoshier2

I took this picture at South Llano River State park 1 month ago. Merlin app could not decide between Orange-crowned, Virginia's, Nashville or macgillivrays warbler. I don't think it is the last one and am thinking a Nashville immature but the wings look grayer than the pictures suggest. can anyone help me on this? the gray wings and slight yellow around the eyes are throwing me.
thank you_Q2A3744.jpg_Q2A3746.jpg

The back and wings look more grey than yellow on mine, that is why I questioned the orange- crowned. Thanks

There is invariably a “degree” of plumage variability with warbler species md2. and can often look somewhat different, particularly with plain toned birds under diffuse lighting.
OCW is a “Vermivora” species showing as in your bird, a curved pointy mandible a good structural feature.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back