• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern African Forum (2 Viewers)

Thanks for highlighting this Allan. At the risk of upsetting some people, the use of a long thread rather than a proper Forum for South Africa isn't the best way of getting things noticed or discussed, I find. Is there a reason why it has been set up in this way? Personally, I never get involved with long threads on any Forum. It just takes too long to read the whole thing, quickly gets off-topic and usually becomes a conversation with just a few people. Very uninviting to casual participants who might want to become regulars!

Pat

Pat I think this is what was set up in the 'My local Patch' forum. Each area had a thread. Unfortunately, no one was using the original South African forum and it was thought that if we joined the 'My Local Patch' groups, more people would visit our thread - and indeed they did. However now the threads have changed and we are back under Africa, South Africa, so I guess there is no reason why we should not use separate threads for separate topics. Thanks for pointing this out. I must say I have enjoyed meandering along as we have been doing, and have always been delighted when others from elsewhere have joined us, as, I am sure, has everyone else who uses this thread, so if it seems uninviting it was not meant so.

Thanks Sal,
As mentioned I will go back in the summer when I think I will have a much more successful day regarding high altitude species.
I have just picked up the camera today, a Sony Alpha 350 with two lenses - 18-70mm and 75-300mm ready for the trip to Kosi Bay. I shall play over the weekend....

Martin

Great Martin. How exciting! If you have a problem with the manual (which seems to assume that every new owner has a depth of knowledge about DSLRs and camera settings that is not always the case) here is the URL to a series of e-books for different cameras (including the Sony 350) which are far easier to understand. I bought the one for my camera and have found it very helpful. (But then I am not totally technologically literate . . . )

http://friedmanarchivespress.easystorecreator.net/

Look forward to the first pics!

What a stunning day Allan and how well you describe it. I feel as though I should be pouring myself a cup of tea first before settling in to a good long read!

I feel quite honoured to think that I am replying to the post of someone who has actually spoken to Hugh Chittenden - you see how the glory reflects! Anyway, he obviously brought you luck - you achieved a good bird list. I do find that birders in general - certainly all those I have ever come into contact with - are a) Really nice people and b) very modest and unassuming about their talents. I was birding with Gordon Mclean (also Roberts - author of 5th and 6th edition) once, and someone who didn't know him asked him how it was that he knew every bird call we heard. He said gently 'Its my job' and left it at that.(It was his 5th edition of Roberts in which the bird-call sonograms were introduced. I believe they have taken them out of the 7th edition, so I'm glad I have kept my old Roberts as I find them very useful)

I love Lake Panic. We generally call in there on our way up from Berg-en -Dal to Satara; Bird-watching at Lake Panic followed by toasted sarmies at Skukuza; and I alsways feel sad that we can't stay longer. I've seen a lot of lovely birds, insects and reptiles there on various occasions.

Thanks for another immersion in the daily life of Kruger, look forward to the last epistle immensely.

Thanks Sal, much appreciated. Catherine and I are thinking of spending a night at Skukuza just so we can spend a lot of time at Lake Panic. Interesting name - Lake Panic. I wonder how it got that. Mind you, I understand the golf course is around there, so maybe it's due to the frights the golfers get from the wildlife!

Don't know why my post got duplicated when I logged on again later that day though :h?:

I'll try to get the final installment written over the weekend, then it will be August before I can write anything else :-C

Allan

Thanks Sal, much appreciated. Catherine and I are thinking of spending a night at Skukuza just so we can spend a lot of time at Lake Panic. Interesting name - Lake Panic. I wonder how it got that. Mind you, I understand the golf course is around there, so maybe it's due to the frights the golfers get from the wildlife!

Allan

Well I asked the same question on the Kruger forum and apparently it is because during a cloudburst in the '70s, there was a huge panic when the wall threatened to collapse. Great idea to book in for a night so you can spend more time there, I think I could sit there all day!

Thanks for highlighting this Allan. At the risk of upsetting some people, the use of a long thread rather than a proper Forum for South Africa isn't the best way of getting things noticed or discussed, I find. Is there a reason why it has been set up in this way? Personally, I never get involved with long threads on any Forum. It just takes too long to read the whole thing, quickly gets off-topic and usually becomes a conversation with just a few people. Very uninviting to casual participants who might want to become regulars!

Pat
Hi, Pat,
This thread evolved to cater for Southern Africa, not South Africa per se. This enabled discussion over an area whose northern boundary can be approximately defined (from E to W) by the Namibia/Angola border, the Caprivi Strip, and the Chobe/Zambezi river systems down to the Indian Ocean. The site is anything but uninviting - on the contrary, we have offered local knowledge and advice to many visitors to Southern Africa, and have had the pleasure of reading their reports afterwards. As for reading the whole thing, anyone who does so will receive a great deal of information, all in one place, which can be utilised in planning a future visit. Some kind persons have awarded the site 5 stars, so it can't be doing too badly.
I think people may be unaware that in Southern Africa, distances are large, and the birding population tiny compared to UK, for example. This would mean that any "local patch" in a British sense would be lucky to have a couple of correspondents, if any at all. So we evolved this considerably larger "local patch" to boost our number of contributors, and to broaden our knowledge base, for many people here bird routinely over enormous distances.
You are welcome here, and we would hope that we can impart something of the very special nature of Southern African birding.

And just as a PS, my favourite birding site in UK is "Norfolk Birding". Just take a look and see how many pages they have!
With best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer this. I was really trying to differentiate between a Forum and a thread. A thread, to my mind, is about a particular topic whereas a Forum is a more general discussion area.

Yes, the South African thread does contain a lot of interesting information but it is hard to find specific information on a topic without reading the whole thread each time. A Southern Africa Forum is a great resource put posting separate threads within the Forum makes it easier to use.

The Forum I use most on this website is the ex-Beebs. They have several very long threads. I never read them. Some have been going on for years and bear no relation to the title of the original thread. Some have evolved into conversations between a very small number of people. I do read and participate in shorter threads on specific topics.

Anyway, I'm aware that not everyone agrees with me!

Pat

Great Martin. How exciting! If you have a problem with the manual (which seems to assume that every new owner has a depth of knowledge about DSLRs and camera settings that is not always the case) here is the URL to a series of e-books for different cameras (including the Sony 350) which are far easier to understand. I bought the one for my camera and have found it very helpful. (But then I am not totally technologically literate . . . )

http://friedmanarchivespress.easystorecreator.net/

Look forward to the first pics!

Hi Sal,
I will look at the link, but at the moment I am being a typical male and not reading instructions but going and taking pictures!!
Yesterday while I was just taking the new camera out of the box an immature Gabar Goshawk alighted in a tree near the house. I didnt even have a lens attached to the new one so I grabbed my original camera and managed one picture before he flew away. This is a new spot in the garden for me and so I am very pleased.
I did manage to go down to the one bottom corner of the garden where we have large numbers of Wild Dagga growing. It is a sea of brilliant orange at the moment and full of mostly Black Sunbird with the occasional Whitebellied joining every now and then.
These Sunbirds are the first pics from the new camera.
Can't wait to get to Kosi Bay...

Martin

Attachments

• Garden 0409.jpg
    Garden 0409.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00006.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00039.jpg
    DSC00039.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 52
Hi Sal,
I will look at the link, but at the moment I am being a typical male and not reading instructions but going and taking pictures!!
Yesterday while I was just taking the new camera out of the box an immature Gabar Goshawk alighted in a tree near the house. I didnt even have a lens attached to the new one so I grabbed my original camera and managed one picture before he flew away. This is a new spot in the garden for me and so I am very pleased.
I did manage to go down to the one bottom corner of the garden where we have large numbers of Wild Dagga growing. It is a sea of brilliant orange at the moment and full of mostly Black Sunbird with the occasional Whitebellied joining every now and then.
These Sunbirds are the first pics from the new camera.
Can't wait to get to Kosi Bay...

Martin

Nice pic of the goshawk, its good to see what the immature looks like. The sunbird pics are lovely, it must be wonderful to have such a wealth of birds to photograph on your own property! You really seem to be making it an avian haven. I can't wait for you guys to go to Kosi too, more stories and pics for us I hope!

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer this. I was really trying to differentiate between a Forum and a thread. A thread, to my mind, is about a particular topic whereas a Forum is a more general discussion area.

Yes, the South African thread does contain a lot of interesting information but it is hard to find specific information on a topic without reading the whole thread each time. A Southern Africa Forum is a great resource put posting separate threads within the Forum makes it easier to use.

The Forum I use most on this website is the ex-Beebs. They have several very long threads. I never read them. Some have been going on for years and bear no relation to the title of the original thread. Some have evolved into conversations between a very small number of people. I do read and participate in shorter threads on specific topics.

Pat

I can see what you are getting at Pat. I think Dave made a good point and that is that there are so few of us, so it is difficult to run a set of patch threads. Basically we have to have interaction between very few people until we get a larger SA base. So for us, it is very comfortable just to keep going with this one thread.However if you or anyone else would like to start up some different, topic specific threads under Southern Africa, I'm sure we would all be delighted to contribute because you are right in that someone looking for specific info might have a problem if they didn't want to go all through this one!

Pat

Pat,
I agree with both Dave and Sal because of the few number of people that regularly contribute to this thread that to splinter it into seperate topic specific threads may result in less posts to the Southern African patch.

However, I understand what you are saying as I regularly visit the Land Rover Freelander 2 forum and notice there are so many different threads discussing just about any and everything to do with the vehicle, and have used the different threads to great affect to find information I was looking for.
The difference is the number of posts, they have had over 40,000!!

If somebody is looking for specific information then they can use the "Search This Thread".
I just tried this and used the word 'Suikerbosrand' as in the Nature Reserve and it came up with 3 posts from Dave's post of February 2008 and mine and Sal's from earlier this year.

This forum is not like many UK forums but the search facility should assist in anybody looking for secific information.
We do regularly supply information to visitors coming here from overseas on holiday (especially Dave and Sal that have a wealth of knowledge and experience to pass on), and in fact many of the posts are from people living overseas that now post their experiences whilst here in SA (my brother Allan is a regular contributor posting details of his regular visits to SA).

Maybe with so many posts about Kruger we could start one specific to there which would have enough posts to make it worthwhile, as long as it doesn't desolve and fragment what we have now?

Martin

Ok the final installment.

Sunday 8th was a rest day. We heard that evening that the Crocodile Bridge gate was to be opened the next day, so we decided to go in that way.

Monday just after dawn we were at the edge of the Croc Bridge causeway. We knew the causeway was there as we could see the tops of the concrete blocks which line the sides, but the actual surface was under about 15cm of fast flowing water. I decided that our car was big enough, so we slowly set off. I could feel the water tugging at the car, but we made it across without any incident. At the reception there were only two other cars, both large 4x4's.

Entering the park we could see Marabou stork, Natal Francolin, and despite the fact that we had only just entered a Grey Lourie kept telling us to "go-away". A White Rhino was spotted in the distance (a small one).

Onto the Vurhami Bridge where we spotted a Hippo, Giraffe and a solitary Grey Heron. We turned right onto the S28 dirt road. Here we saw most of the usuals, Helmeted Guineafowl, Red-backed Shrike, Laughing Dove, Cape Glossy Starling, Long-tailed shrike and Swainsons Francolin. We also saw many flocks of Red-billed Quelia - they seemed to be everywhere, and one of the almost constant sounds we heard that day was the whirring of a myriad wings as they took flight from our approach. On the mammal front we saw a Slender Mongoose and were held up for about 20 minutes by a HUGE herd of Buffalo. There was a constant stream crossing the road in front of us. Eventually there was a small break in the flow and we quickly made our way through, otherwise we could have been there for hours - there was no end to the herd in sight. An really awesome sight.

We turned left onto the S137 and made our way to Duke's Dam. We had only visited this once before and it had been dry, so we decided to give it another go. It was a good choice. At the dam we saw Ostrich and a stately Kori Bustard walked across the road in front of us. Sitting for a while at the dam, which had water in it this time, we also saw European Roller, Arrow-marked Babblers, Fork-tailed Drongo, Yellow Hornbill and a superb Tawny Eagle.

Leaving Duke we carried on down the S137 and made our wau back onto the H4-2 tar road heading for Lower Sabie. This stretch gave us White-backed Vulture, Coucal, Fish Eagle, Jacobin Cuckoo, Black-eyed Bulbul, Chinspot Batis, Red-breasted Swallow, Woodland Kingfisher and Pied Wagtail. At one point we came across a flock of Helmeted Guineafowl in the road, both adults and juveniles. We both sighed and knew we were in trouble - we call them Kami-kazi birds. Ok, so we have about 40 HGF on the road, with long grass and safety just centimetres away each side. Which way do they run when you approach - straight down the road. Usually away, but also sometimes straight at you, hence the Kami-kazi name. So away they went, looking over their shoulders to see if we were following, and keeping slap bang in the middle of the road. Occasionally we would stop, some would wander off, and then the game would begin again. I have never known such a stupid bird. Well actually I have, as the Francolins also have a habit of doing this, but they at least have the decency to be on their own, so you stand a chance of getting past without leaving a roadside pizza. HGF - no chance. It took ages to get past this lot.

We took a break at Lower Sabie. From the deck as we had a cool drink and a toasted sandwich we could see Red Bishop, Egyptian Goose, Blacksmith Plover and Carmine Bee-eaters, as well as the usual weavers and sparrows fighting over crumbs.

A quick trip to Sunset Dam gave Yellow-billed Stork, White-crowned Lapwing and Water Dikkop.

We then decided to go back over the Lower Sabie causeway up the H10 and on to Mlondozi. On the causeway we had a Giant Kingfisher pose for shots on the causeway rim. Looking downstream there were quite a few swafts. For those not in the know a swaft is an unidentified swallow, swift or martin. With a bit of patience we eventually did identify one as Rock Martin, which was a first for us. There were also Pied Kingfisher and Common Sandpiper.

Instead of turning right to Mlondozi we carried on up the H10, where we saw White-winged Widow, Elephant and Baboon. At the point where the road turns left in front of the Muntshe mountain, I saw something in the middle of the road. Stopping quickly we saw it was a Flap-necked Chameleon (a new tick!), making its unhurried way across the road. I pulled the car diagonally across the road, leaving space behind me and the chameleon for other cars to pass. The intention was to guard it as it made its slow way across the road, when we would then carry on with our trip. One basic flaw was that the chameleon didn't know our schedule. After about 20 minutes he had rocked back and forth hundreds of times, but only made about 2cm of forward progress, leaving about 150cm still to go! I decided enough was enough and got out, picked him up and put him in the grass near a small tree. Sorry Mr Sanparks.

At the end of the Muntshe range we took the S122 Muntshe loop back towards Mlondozi. This was another road that we had travelled once before and not seen much (2 Secretary birds being a notable exception). This time however it was vastly different - a veritable bird paradise. They were everywhere. The real star for us was that there were dozens of red-footed falcons (kestrels). Which one I hear you ask. Both say I - Eastern (Amur) and Western. And both were new ticks for us. Fantastic. We also had a few minutes head scratching over a bird that kept running in front of the car so we couldn't get a clear look at the front. Eventually it got fed up of the hide in plain sight game and went to the side of the road, where we finally saw it was a Double-banded Sandgrouse. A bit further on and the road was covered in European Swallows. There must have been several hundred, which took off as we approached and landed again behind us. I have no idea what they were doing, but it was a wonderful sight.

We stopped for a break at Mlondozi. Here were Mocking Chat and Black-shouldered Kite, with Vervet Monkeys hanging around and trying to look innocent whilst getting ready to steal food from the unwary.

We took the S29 back towards Lower Sabie. There were more Red-footed Falcon (Kestrel), a juvenile Diederik Cuckoo, a flock of Wattled Starling and a beautiful Purple Roller. We spotted a Natal Francolin standing at the side of the road. He had his head cocked to one side and seemed to be transfixed, staring at the sky. He didn't move until we were about a meter away. He then suddenly seemed to come to his senses and seeing us gave him a terrific fright. He jumped high into the air, turning a full 360 degrees and so landed back exactly where he had started. This seemed to confuse him even more and he ran in a circle several times before finally launching himself across the road and disappearing into the bush. We were in absolute hysterics, and unable to carry on until we had stopped laughing.

As we approached the H10 tar road again we were commenting that we had not seen any small buck, particularly Steenbok which are common in that area, when bursting out from the bushes in front of us came a Steenbok. I managed to brake in time, but only just - the front of the car stopped over it as it slipped and fell, but it scrambled to its feet and shot back into the bushes. After a short pause to draw breath we looked for it again, but it had vanished. That was enough excitement for one day so we decided to head back home.

The road back was uneventful apart from a Martial Eagle in a tree, but too far away for a decent photo. As we approached Crocodile Bridge we realised that we had plenty of time to spare - an unusual occurence for us, so we decided to take a short trip up the S25 and maybe go to Hippo Pools. At the top of the rise before the Hippo Pools turnoff is a little pan, which is usually dry. This time it had water in it, and some birds around so we pulled to the left of the road and started watching. We saw Red-faced Mousebird and in a tree at the far side of the pan an Eastern Paradise Whydah, with that dramatic (and faintly ridiculous) tail. As we were watching we could hear noises in a bush the other side of the road. Catherine had a look and said "there's a tail in there". Immediate thoughts - baboon or monkey. Then she said "It's yellow with a black tip". What!! I had a look and we both said at the same time - LION. We pulled the car over to the right side of the road. As we looked we could see a paw, and another paw, and another tail, and this went on until we knew that there were at least 5 lion in the bush. There was another bought of crashing around in the bush, and we then started to see the lion clearly. They were cubs, about 6-8 months old. Fantastic! We stopped and watched as they would change positions to try to get more comfortable - it was a thorn bush after all.After about half an hour they got fed up of trying to rest in the thorn bush, and came out into the road - all seven of them :eek!: In the usual lion fashion they just sprawled in the middle of the road and ignored the fuss going on around them. A fabulous way to end our time in the Kruger.

Except that it wasn't quite the end - we still had to get back across the causeway, where the water level had risen again. The current tugged hard at us, but we managed it ok. I was glad we were in a larger car - I would not have tried it in a small saloon.

We can honestly say we have never had a disappointing day in the Kruger. It really is a fabulous place.

Well our trip was now over. Another wonderful time in South Africa. 12 new bird spots, Sable Antelope and Wild Dog for Catherine.

Roll on July :t:

Allan

Last edited:
Here are some photos:

Allan

Attachments

• Giant Kingfisher.jpg
    Giant Kingfisher.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Flap necked chameleon.jpg
    Flap necked chameleon.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Double banded Sandgrouse.jpg
    Double banded Sandgrouse.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Purple Roller.jpg
    Purple Roller.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Red footed falcon.jpg
    Red footed falcon.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 53
And some of the Lion cubs:

Attachments

• Lion cub1.jpg
    Lion cub1.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Lion cub2.jpg
    Lion cub2.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Lion cub4.jpg
    Lion cub4.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 52
And while we are at it, can anyone identify what this is?

Attachments

• Unident BOP1.jpg
    Unident BOP1.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 64
  • Unident BOP2.jpg
    Unident BOP2.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 62
Allan! What an amazing day! This area is one we shall spend a whole day in,possibly two, when we get there (only 37 sleeps) so I was delighted to read that you saw so much. Of course, by the time we get there, there will not be the same masses of birds, but having read your report I don't know how I'm going to wait another four weeks!By the way, I dont know if you have ever been to Mpondo dam? From Croc River, you can make a circuit of the journey. (H4-2 up to Sardelli's, left onto H5, keep going till you get to RH road, the S102, which takes you to the dam. Then when you leave the dam, turn R onto S102, travel 8km, turn L onto S26, 10km, R onto S108 for 2km, then L onto Croc River Road)We have sat there for several hours at a time and seen masses of animals coming to drink; although a lot of them are on the other side of the dam from the parking area, with binocs it doesn't seem to matter.

What's with all these 'Small' white rhino? Or is it in response to Martin? ;) Amazing to see all those buffalo. We had a similar sighting last year, when we estimated that there must be well over 2 000 animals in the herd crossing in front of us and it was the first time we had ever seen such a huge herd, so I am delighted that you did too, perhaps these really big groups are less uncommon than I thought.

Your description of the GHF was masterly, I laughed out loud. I also enjoyed the Swafts - a very useful piece of terminology, can't wait to use it myself.

And the lion! What a perfect end to the day. I hope you don't mind if I forward their pics to the friend with whom I am going to Kruger; they are wonderful, I particularly love the face peering through the branches. The other pics are great too. Could your unknown be a juv Dark Chanting Goshawk? I'm looking at the brown breastband, barring and the grey cere and yellow eye. Can't see what colour the legs are.

Well - sigh - I'm sorry you've reached the end, but thanks for the really fascinating posts and all the lovely pics. I hope you will have an equally good visit in July.

Sal,
thanks for the comments. It gives me pleasure to write the reports, as I can relive the moments, so it is especially good if I can give some enjoyment to others.

We have been to Mpondo dam on several occasions. We have tended to go a different way, turning left onto the S25 Croc River road, then up onto the S26 and then the S102 to the dam. We then carry on the S102 and either turn right back to the H4-2 or go left and end up at Renosterkoppies dam. We quite like Mpondo. It is usually not very busy, and whilst we haven't seen masses of stuff there, we have seen lion on the S102 just south of the dam. I took some nice photos of giraffe drinking from the dam - such an inelegant way to have to get a drink of water!

I cannot claim the credit for the term Swaft. That comes from Martin and Karen. It is very useful though. We did make up the term Kill-Bills though. See if you can guess what a Kill-Bill is!

No problem at all about the lion cub pics. Always happy to share. As you might imagine I have lots of the cubs if you want any more.

I see you are counting down the days (or nights). Not too long now. We still have 81 days before we leave, 82 till we get to Marloth Park :-C We will of course be expecting a full writeup!

Thanks again for all the nice comments.

Allan

What's with all these 'Small' white rhino? Or is it in response to Martin? ;)

Your description of the GHF was masterly, I laughed out loud.

Sal,
yes the small rhino is Martins fault ;)

As you enjoyed the HGF so much here is a photo of that epic encounter :t:

Allan

Attachments

• HGF.jpg
    HGF.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 92
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back