• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish Dragonflies for I.D. Please (1 Viewer)

redeyedvideo

It's like water off a duck's back!
These were all taken in Andalucia recently, are the first 3 the same species? I'm guessing Keeled Skimmer for no.4? Any help gratefully received, thanks.

Attachments

• dragon1.jpg
    dragon1.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 75
  • dragon2.jpg
    dragon2.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 62
  • dragon3.jpg
    dragon3.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 64
  • dragon4.jpg
    dragon4.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 83
These were all taken in Andalucia recently, are the first 3 the same species? I'm guessing Keeled Skimmer for no.4? Any help gratefully received, thanks.

First three are adult male, imm. male + female Northern Banded Groundling, Brachythemis impartita which has recently been split from B. leucosticta agg. Apparently the former is the only one north of the Sahara. These are basically common African species. There's an interesting article about the expansion of African dragonflies into Iberia in the latest Atropos magazine.

Think you're right with southern form of Keeled Skimmer

Thanks for your informed reply, very interesting, thanks.

One more I nearly forgot about, a clubtail? This was taken in the Sierra de Cazorla mountain range.

Attachments

• dragon5.JPG
    dragon5.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
One more I nearly forgot about, a clubtail? This was taken in the Sierra de Cazorla mountain range.

I think it's a male Large Pincertail (Onychogomphus uncatus) - a pic of the wings from above or the appendages from the side would confirm it wasn't Onychogomphus forcipatus.

Thanks Paul, it's looking like one of the species you've mentioned, here's another photo showing the wings. I'm not sure what I'm looking for so confirmation and any I.D. pointers would be good.

Attachments

• dragon6.JPG
    dragon6.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 63
Hi Dave

Your 2nd pic of the pincertail shows the four-celled anal triangle which together with the all black vertex and the patterning on the thorax in pic 1 are enough features to confirm Large rather than Small Pincertail.

I've attached a pic highlighting the features and a a small one of the appendages of a Large Pincertail which are diagnostic but a lot more difficult to see and/or photograph than the other features.

Steve Jones has a page showing the appendages of Small Pincertail
http://www.cornishnature.co.uk/drag...mall-pincertail-onychogomphus-forcipatus.html

Pages 198-200 of Dijkstra are very useful (that's where I got the info from!)

Cheers, Paul

PS I've also put up a pic of a really mature male Brachythemis impartita where all the pale markings have gone.

Attachments

• larpt_1.jpg
    larpt_1.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 51
  • larpt_2.jpg
    larpt_2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 32
  • PG_110621_BANGD_m_1000x750.jpg
    PG_110621_BANGD_m_1000x750.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Many thanks for your replies once again Paul & aeshna5, this is a new interest for me as you can probably tell, brought about by the wonders of digital photography.

A most timely post.

I've just arrived in Spain this afternoon and after checking into the digs I went to look at Sierra Crestellina and the nearby Rio Genal. Last year at the same time I had orange-winged dropwing and violet dropwing.

No sign of either today, but I came across a few dragons that to my eye look the same on my camera screen as this pincertail. I've not got any facility here to download and edit, but I might be posting some pics of them here when I get home later in the month.

Have a great trip!

One area I visited where the Keeled Skimmer was taken had Copper Demoiselle on virtually every stem, there were also some colourful shieldbugs including Graphosoma italicum.

Attachments

• _MG_1093.jpg
    _MG_1093.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 48
Well I'm back home and shaking off the effects of the trip.

This is the pincertail I saw on the Rio Genal near Gaucin, Andalucia.

Specific ID would be most appreciated (I caught up with both violet and orange-winged dropwings at the same site on another visit).

There are a couple of demoiselles from the Rio Guadalmina also.I recall seeing the black one a good number of years ago on Menorca.

Attachments

• IMG_1934-copy.jpg
    IMG_1934-copy.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1948-copy.jpg
    IMG_1948-copy.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3979-copy.jpg
    IMG_3979-copy.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4012-copy.jpg
    IMG_4012-copy.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Well I'm back home and shaking off the effects of the trip.

This is the pincertail I saw on the Rio Genal near Gaucin, Andalucia.

Specific ID would be most appreciated (I caught up with both violet and orange-winged dropwings at the same site on another visit).

There are a couple of demoiselles from the Rio Guadalmina also.I recall seeing the black one a good number of years ago on Menorca.

The demoiselles are female and male Copper (Calopteryx haemorrhoidalis) and I think the pincertail is Small (Onychogomphus forcipatus) based on markings but I'm struggling to count the cells in the hindwing anal triangle (either my monitor or my eyesight!)

Does this view help?
yes - from what I can see there are 3 cells in the triangle. The Small Pincertail usually has three and the Large Pincertail usually has four. There is some yellow on the vertex and the black lines on the side of the thorax connect to the black line down the top of the thorax which are both pro Small Pincertail features.

There is an article http://www.cornishnature.co.uk/drag...mall-pincertail-onychogomphus-forcipatus.html with some good illustrations.

Dijkstra has all the illustrations of the differences.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back