• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spare parts for Velbon Quick Release Plate (1 Viewer)

Hi,

A bit of a long shot - I have a Velbon PH-157Q with a release plate - QB-157. The issue is the locking peg is lost - this is the secondary peg which you can unscrew from the plate and helps to stop the Spotting scope from moving.

I just wondered if these pegs are standard / available from anywhere? Seems a shame to degrade the whole tripod because of the missing peg. I cannot locate the QB-157 either and the pictures don't seem to have this secondary peg.

Any help appreciated.

Mark

Hi,

A bit of a long shot - I have a Velbon PH-157Q with a release plate - QB-157. The issue is the locking peg is lost - this is the secondary peg which you can unscrew from the plate and helps to stop the Spotting scope from moving.

I just wondered if these pegs are standard / available from anywhere? Seems a shame to degrade the whole tripod because of the missing peg. I cannot locate the QB-157 either and the pictures don't seem to have this secondary peg.

Any help appreciated.

Mark
Mark,

Images of the QB-157 plate on the internet only have a single screw in the middle which screws into the foot of the scope, so I am a bit confused by the "secondary peg" which implies you have more than one screw/peg in the plate. If you have a second unthreaded anti-rotation pin in the plate then it may not be a QB-157 plate. I am therefore not sure if you are looking for the screw or an unthreaded pin/peg. Have I missed something ?

If you meant that the central screw is missing then scopes have either a 1/4 inch or 3/8inch thread. A quick search on google gives a 1/4 inch one for £1.95 here :

Screw, 1/4", for camera, tripod head, or quick-release plate - Amber Spyglass Ltd

It doesn't have a fold-down D ring so you will need a 50p piece to tighten it up. If you search further than I did you may find one with a D ring.

Last edited:
Hi, out of curiosity, I tried to insert the anti rotations pins of the Manfrotto PL-200 and 130-14 plates into the thread pitch of the pristine Velbon QB-157N plate that I have kept but they do not fit in both cases, being different.

Last edited:
I agree - I think it was a special order. It looks like its called a locking pin.

I have found it here - https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-prod...plate-for-velbon-sherpa-ph157-panhead#reviews but discotinued. I might just try a couple off amazon to see if I can get close.

Thanks for looking though.
It's an anti-rotation pin. It stops the scope rotating on the plate and coming loose on the thread if you knock the end of the scope which can have quite a bit of leverage. If the hole in the plate for the peg/pin has a standard metric thread e.g. M3, M4 or M5, and you have a hacksaw and a vice and a file, you could make a pin from a partially threaded bolt by cutting off the head and the excess thread. There's some here but I am sure there's loads of other places that sell small diameter partial thread bolts :

Grade 12.9 Ni Plated - M3 M4 Socket Head Cap Screws Allen Bolts - Partial Thread | eBay

It's an anti-rotation pin. It stops the scope rotating on the plate and coming loose on the thread if you knock the end of the scope which can have quite a bit of leverage. If the hole in the plate for the peg/pin has a standard metric thread e.g. M3, M4 or M5, and you have a hacksaw and a vice and a file, you could make a pin from a partially threaded bolt by cutting off the head and the excess thread. There's some here but I am sure there's loads of other places that sell small diameter partial thread bolts :

Grade 12.9 Ni Plated - M3 M4 Socket Head Cap Screws Allen Bolts - Partial Thread | eBay
If the pin/peg hole is threaded and blind i.e. doesn't go all the way through the plate, an even simpler solution would be to use a flat end small diameter grub screw like this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17547045...BGO93EATwF5kwxzjZybrQDhybr|tkp:Bk9SR4CUrM-oYw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back